Honda Shadow Forums banner
18321 - 18340 of 18433 Posts

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
Mucinex DM works wonders on this discomfort ;)
Thinking it was allergy I took meds for that, BUT...

found out last night that DM is the Drug,
Dennis

Rain in the PM again today, I rode to the hay barn to see how much is left in there though

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Got the new turn signals on the way, Barnett clutch springs came yesterday.. thinking about the 4degree timing mod at the same time I change out the springs..anyone else done this mod? What are everyone's thoughts on that? I haven't decided yet.
I would do the timing mod, I did it on my 01 750 Ace and I think it started easier and had a bit more pep. I didn't measure, but think I got at least a couple degrees as I didn't go completely crazy with filing the slots. I would measure the gap and be sure you have the same gap when done. I would flush the oil off with Brakleen 1st and wrap electrical tape around the pick-up part next time to prevent filings getting on the pickup while filing. Maybe not necessary, but cant hurt.

Be sure of the direction and angle you're filing... mark the area with a marker maybe.

The springs were a definite improvement.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would do the timing mod, I did it on my 01 750 Ace and I think it started easier and had a bit more pep. I didn't measure, but think I got at least a couple degrees as I didn't go completely crazy with filing the slots. I would measure the gap and be sure you have the same gap when done. I would flush the oil off with Brakleen 1st and wrap electrical tape around the pick-up part next time to prevent filings getting on the pickup while filing. Maybe not necessary, but cant hurt.

Be sure of the direction and angle you're filing... mark the area with a marker maybe.

The springs were a definite improvement.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice, getting all the tools together now.. hope to have everything done by tomorrow. BTW, did you change your sprockets, I read the timing mod works well with that, my sprockets are still stock..the bike doesn't feel "buzzy " to me at highway speeds, 70 mph and slightly above..I don't really push more than that anyway.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have/had the 39T rear on both 750's, stock 17T front. I felt the 39 was better for me as I ride 2-up a lot, I don't feel I'd gain anything with the 38T except have to downshift more. I still have not gotten around to doing the Barnett springs and timing mod on the 03 though,,, Got 53 mpg average riding 2-up and loaded on my last trip on it.

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
1) Once you get it back together, We`ll hafta go on a celebration Ride Charlie...
2) That is clever old dad, I would be trying to get those shavings off the magnet...
3) I never had no problem with "buzz", & I "run with the Big Dogs"...

But I still went with the 38T,
Dennis

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ok.i got the timing mod done, but while replacing the clutch springs one of the bolts to the release plate snapped off...dammit..don't know why it was so freekin tight. Or it just may have been weak over time..I ordered a new pressure plate and bolts( can't trust the other 3) but untill I can figure out how to get the clutch apart without the Honda clutch holder tool, I'm dead in the water... Wanted to get her back together this weekend and report any gains from the timing mod. Anyways, here is a pic of the completed mod..I did take pics of the process and will post them soon.

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
Might can make and use a "strap Wrench". to hold that clutchpac, @Grizzlywolf67
I use a woh out pair of Jeans leg for the "strap" when I gotta do dat,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
On the kawasakis it was a penny in the gears to lock it... can't remember what the Honda looks like in there,,,

Those bolts are really soft and over-tightening even a little can break things. I think it's for a reason like keeping you from breaking more expensive stuff. My 89 Harley had one break on me... And higher grade bolts then broke the aluminum plate...

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have/had the 39T rear on both 750's, stock 17T front. I felt the 39 was better for me as I ride 2-up a lot, I don't feel I'd gain anything with the 38T except have to downshift more. I still have not gotten around to doing the Barnett springs and timing mod on the 03 though,,, Got 53 mpg average riding 2-up and loaded on my last trip on it.
Ok.i got the timing mod done, but while replacing the clutch springs one of the bolts to the release plate snapped off...dammit..don't know why it was so freekin tight. Or it just may have been weak over time..I ordered a new pressure plate and bolts( can't trust the other 3) but untill I can figure out how to get the clutch apart without the Honda clutch holder tool, I'm dead in the water... Wanted to get her back together this weekend and report any gains from the timing mod. Anyways, here is a pic of the completed mod..I did take pics of the process and will post them soon. View attachment 295896
Frank,
Sounds like your luck and mine are identical. If it was to rain soup my bowl would be in the yard upside down an I would not get a drop. Also as in most things Murphy's Law applies. Was wondering if c clamps may work? I'm in a similar status with my bike. I'll be headed home today. When I get there the work removing my old motor will begin. BTW do you know how to get the bottom rear bolt out of the motor mount and a frame.
Charlie

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
907 Posts
A warm day. A "Tall Boy". Scissors and duct tape.

Rust never sleeps and my OEM rear shocks are no exception. I'll let the picture say a thousand words.

View attachment 295884
You could change them out depending on the flavor of the day. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Might can make and use a "strap Wrench". to hold that clutchpac, @Grizzlywolf67
I use a woh out pair of Jeans leg for the "strap" when I gotta do dat,
Dennis
I got it off, had to make sure the nut was completely unstaked and used a penny to lock the gears, and an air impact wrench..still took a little force, but I didn't rush and did it in short bursts..clutch discs and steels look good but the old springs were shot..just waiting on the pressure plate and bolts now..gonna take this time to clean up and paint the nasty or rusty bits.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
hey Grizzly, can you measure the diameter of the timing wheel at the pickup? Was trying to calculate the degrees, If it's 2-1/2" for ex: approximately every .022" you move it should add 1 degree of timing. I think...

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
285 Posts
hey Grizzly, can you measure the diameter of the timing wheel at the pickup? Was trying to calculate the degrees, If it's 2-1/2" for ex: approximately every .022" you move it should add 1 degree of timing. I think...
The timing gear itself is 84.76mm and the pickup sensor trigger gear is67.20mm..hope this helps..I just measured the bolt holes for the sensor mount and elongated them..but a more scientific approach would probably be better..good luck.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
By my calculations, 0.023" per degree.
Might have to file more and use an allen head bolt on the one closest to the pick-up body to get an actual 4 degrees., I really need to do my 03...

18321 - 18340 of 18433 Posts