Honda Shadow Forums banner
18361 - 18380 of 18433 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
A really good time to install new/fresh coolant hoses!
I agree. I have purchased all new coolant hoses, fuel lines, new coolant, oil and filter. My motor came a day early (yesterday). I had a friend help me and I got the replacement motor into the frame. All I lack is the lower rear engine mount which goes through the swing arm and I'm sure its going to be a real pain in the back side but I will get it tomorrow and the begin to hook everything up and install my newly rebuilt carbs. Like I read from another member I have learned from this forum and I thought I would share this advice which everyone may or may not know. If you fail to turn off your fuel when you get through riding you invite disaster as I did and replacing an engine is no fun not to mention the expense. The engine "Hydrolocked" with gasoline in the rear cylinder. The results was a loud backfire and a bent connecting rod. The expense to rebuild with just the needed parts would cost more than a replacement motor. It sure has made me sick over my bike but I hope to be riding by the weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope all will go well.
Best Regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,072 Posts
I flooded the crankcase with gas twice on another bike. I somehow caught it before I started the bike. I drained the oil and flushed the gas out, fresh oil and all was good. After that I also heard of exploding crankcases, cracked blocks etc as the fumes ignited. Too bad about your misfortune but at least you'll be back up and running soon. A warning to us all of a potential problem. I shut off my petcock because it has happened to me.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC
38 Posts
Finished the wiring yesterday and tested the charger to make sure I got it all hooked up correctly.

Changed air filter.

Cleaned the chain and washed the bike.

Super glued a rubber strip back in place on my RH passenger floor board. I don't plan on having anyone ride with me but it just bothered me that it could fly off at any time.

Today I wanted to test out the phone mount and it is holding up great so far.

I also used this time to get more practice driving around in more traffic. I have to go to my job's second facility on Saturday and it is full of possible stops on hills and a lot more possibilities of bad things happening so I wanted to get more comfortable driving down there. It's about a 20 minute ride.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2
79 Posts
I road the twisties west of West terre haute. On the way to Paris Illinois. That was just after I got my kill switch housing back together and replacing my mirror and handguard. I was in stealth mode because my rear brake light won't come on when squeezing the handbrake when I'm using trail breaking through the curves. I have a new front brake switch ordered and I'm waiting for that to come in.
I'm also waiting for a FedEx delivery for a new helmet brake light. After I install it and see how it works. I will give it a review on this forum.
Also I'm waiting for a new brake lens light gasket. I had to gorilla glue, what was left of the old one, back onto the lens cover until the new one comes in. 😜😄

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
Mention of Helmet Brakelight brings back memory of the "third brakelight" I made...
BUT it was in my vest...
I Had bought LED strips for added brake light on the saddlebags, and had some of the LED strip left over...
SO I took the "try me" switch, LEDs and battery to rig it up...
I put the LED strips on my shoulder to the back, ran the wire to where my thumb rides, put the switch handy to push the button...
When I used the brake I`d simply push the button to light up the LEDs on my vest...

Yeah kinda awkward, BUT it works,
Dennis

Lets RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
285 Posts
Waiting on parts for the clutch, and ordered some foam samples from The Foam Factory, for the custom seat.. just waiting on stuff to trickle in.. like the late Tom Petty sang " The waiting Is The Hardest Part" man do I know it.. Here's a quick mockup of the general shape of the seat, the lower part of the pan will have about an inch and a half of foam , but the back " cowl" is about where it will be.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm as HAPPY AS A JACKASS IN A GLASS STABLE 💯!!! I cranked my replacement engine and it runs GREAT. I have a few things to finish up and ROAD TEST 😊🤠 Like Willie Nelson, lm back on the road again!!!

Dennis we'll have to meet and ride soon.
Charlie
Fan-freakin-tastic! Charlie.. glad it went smoothly for you. I got my clutch parts yesterday evening, and got everything back together, waiting for the gasket on the side case to cure, oil in and fire her up.. will update everyone on how she runs after the timing mod..clutch lever feels butter smooth now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ok..got oil back in the crankcase, started the bike up, it ran, but now I got an annoying tick coming from the engine, first thought it was the fuel pump, but it seems to be ok..and when I try to throttle up off idle she wants to choke a little before catching, and got a little backfire from exhaust, I think may have gone a little bit to much on the timing advance..gonna let her cool down and try to back off on the sensor a bit..pain in the arse getting everything off the bike and outa the way to get the side case off..anyone have a trick they use?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Me again, I managed to get the case off without removing the exhaust or peg/brake assembly, wasn't that bad with a offset wrench and a socket with a universal joint.. anyway, set the sensor back clockwise just a fraction, bike ran great... didn't take her out of my neighborhood, so a more detailed review will have to wait..but I felt the timing mod really perked her up.. throttle response off idle and slow rolling snapped my head back..I wasn't expecting it..new clutch springs make a difference too, I'm sure..I will post the whole process soon.
Frank

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok..got oil back in the crankcase, started the bike up, it ran, but now I got an annoying tick coming from the engine, first thought it was the fuel pump, but it seems to be ok..and when I try to throttle up off idle she wants to choke a little before catching, and got a little backfire from exhaust, I think may have gone a little bit to much on the timing advance..gonna let her cool down and try to back off on the sensor a bit..pain in the arse getting everything off the bike and outa the way to get the side case off..anyone have a trick they use?
Frank,
It does sound like your timing may be a little high. Do you have any pictures of the process. I would like to see them. I am considering doing my bike too. Also there is no tricks or easy way of working on a motorcycle. It is a hemmiroid for sure. Nothing seem to go easy and I usually have to do things twice to get it right or for me to be satisfied. Maybe my standards are to high. Everyone should try replacing an engine at least once. You will soon determine your love of riding. I have to sometime walk away to gather myself together as I get so frustrated. As I have aged it seems better to back off. Ranting and raving accomplishes nothing. I have completed the project and plan to road test tomorrow. I did a still check and the motor preformed well and the transmission shifted well both up and down. I'm praying for the best as I have spent a lot of money, effort and time on this bike. It would be very disappointing to have problems now.
Best Regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me again, I managed to get the case off without removing the exhaust or peg/brake assembly, wasn't that bad with a offset wrench and a socket with a universal joint.. anyway, set the sensor back clockwise just a fraction, bike ran great... didn't take her out of my neighborhood, so a more detailed review will have to wait..but I felt the timing mod really perked her up.. throttle response off idle and slow rolling snapped my head back..I wasn't expecting it..new clutch springs make a difference too, I'm sure..I will post the whole process soon.
Frank
A W E S O M E!!! Congrats that's a nice looking bike. My bike don't look as good as a lot of the ones I have seen on the forum. Can't wait to see your pics.
Charlie

·
Registered
285 Posts
Frank,
It does sound like your timing may be a little high. Do you have any pictures of the process. I would like to see them. I am considering doing my bike too. Also there is no tricks or easy way of working on a motorcycle. It is a hemmiroid for sure. Nothing seem to go easy and I usually have to do things twice to get it right or for me to be satisfied. Maybe my standards are to high. Everyone should try replacing an engine at least once. You will soon determine your love of riding. I have to sometime walk away to gather myself together as I get so frustrated. As I have aged it seems better to back off. Ranting and raving accomplishes nothing. I have completed the project and plan to road test tomorrow. I did a still check and the motor preformed well and the transmission shifted well both up and down. I'm praying for the best as I have spent a lot of money, effort and time on this bike. It would be very disappointing to have problems now.
Best Regards,
Charlie
Thanks my brother, nice to hear words of encouragement when things get trying, I did figure it out tho, and got the timing backed off and test ride her for about 20 minutes or so, seems like it will be ok..my girlfriend always says " why do you do it if it frustrates you?" I always reply, " cause I love it" 😆. Some of us get it at least.. I will post the process soon, I took pictures and made notes.. still working on the custom seat too..and of course work always gets in the way too..glad to hear your new engine is working out well for you too..ride safe brother.
Frank.

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
Dennis we'll have to meet and ride soon.>>> UNQuote

Yes we`ll hafta do dat...
Ann & I have to be at ABATE of GA meetings 11 am Saturday in Macon & 2pm Sunday in ASHBURN, this weekend,
We`ll be coming through your area,
Dennis
Usually at Cracker Barrel in Cordele for Lunch first Sunday of each month, down 41 to Ashburn afterward

18361 - 18380 of 18433 Posts