Honda Shadow Forums banner

What did you do to your bike today?

2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  Buckskin Bandit 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up my painted parts and started assemballin the bike :)

#16,861 ·
The "funk" seems to be clearing. Went for a ride Sunday (2020 The Cedar Dunes Ride). Went for another ride again after supper today.

Sometime over the past few days (my days are running together) I wired up a switch for my heated vest. (I say "I" but with that one I had some help from my boyfriend. I haven't done much with wiring and switches.) All I had before was a wire coming out of the vest with an SAE connector on the end, and there was an art to plugging in on the fly. Pretty great to be able to just flick a switch for a bit of warmth. Hopefully I won't need it much again until the fall.

Today I pulled off the passenger backrest to put on the Givi topbox that came in last week. Unfortunately the holes in the luggage rack don't line up with the bracket on the bike. When the backrest was on, the luggage rack bracket was sandwiched between the backrest bracket and the bracket on the bike, so even though the bolts only went through the top set of holes on the luggage rack there was enough pressure to hold it in place and prevent it from pivoting. I tried to sandwich the bottom of the bracket between a teflon spacer/washer and the bracket on the bike, but after I hit a few good bumps the whole thing started going south.

View attachment 287399

So tomorrow's project after work is to drill a couple of holes. I looked into replacing either the luggage rack or the brackets but for the price of them I'm happy just drilling the holes.

I'm really looking forward to the top box. It will be nice to throw my rain gear and heated vest in there and also to not be constantly strapping stuff sacks and backpacks to my bike every time I want to carry something. The below picture was taken on tonight's ride, before we hit the rough roads that knocked everything loose.

View attachment 287398

I picked up a cheap set of well loved saddle bags last year and finally ordered some standoff brackets - they should be here in the next couple of weeks. I think the bags are a little big and I'll have to relocate the signal lights. I found someone on one of our local bike groups selling a smaller set for really reasonable and they may be small enough to sneak in without having to move things around. I'm waiting on the measurements.

Finally, I have a brake light flasher to install, but I'm waiting on an LED bulb for my brake light first. It might work with the incandescent, but since I'm taking the seat off to install it I want to know it's going to work the first time.

After all of that I should be done throwing money at the bike other than routine stuff. I feel like I've said that before, but I'm pretty well set up now. I can't think of anything else I really need. Maybe a louder horn.
Don't worry you'll find something else for your ride, that's the thing with people who love our machines (bikes, cars trucks etc.) We shower them with gifts;) and tell ourselves "well I need that because"
I love the stripped down bobber but, I always seem to end up remembering something I need to pick up when I'm out and before it was "ugh I'm on the bike no bags and left my messenger bag at home" so going back to a bagger is a necessity.
What brake flasher module did you get and how much was it?

#16,864 ·
What brake flasher module did you get and how much was it?
I got this one, picture was from Amazon. The link is BlyilyB 12V Flash Strobe Controller Flasher Module for LED Brake Light Tail Stop Light (Pack of 2): Amazon.ca: Automotive but I'm not sure how it will show up if you're not in Canada. I paid $15 Canadian for two of them.

You're gonna like that trunk!
Already loving it! We went for a short walk off the bikes tonight and I just threw my tank bag in the top box instead of dragging it along. I love how easy it comes off the bike too.

#16,865 ·
Today - finished the topbox install. I had to drill a hole in the bracket on each side fo the bike to line up with the luggage rack bracket holes. I overthought it at first, had no decent drill bits, no cutting oil, etc etc but decided to make do with what I have. Ended up using cheapie Canadian Tire drill bits with silicone spray for lube but it worked out really well. Spent an hour laying out the hole location and quadruple checking. I centre punched, and went through three drill different drill sizes to get to the final size. Did a bit of deburring and you wouldn't know it was a DIY job in my driveway. Those years of machining paid off, haha.

The middle hole is the one I added, you can just see the other one at the bottom peeking out from the Rok Strap. Sorry, no pictures before I put it all back together. You'll just have to take my word that it was amazing, haha.

I could have moved the whole thing a little further forward on my luggage rack but I strap stuff to the passenger seat when we go camping, so I wanted to leave as much room as possible for the box to open without interfering with that.

#16,866 ·
I got this one, picture was from Amazon. The link is BlyilyB 12V Flash Strobe Controller Flasher Module for LED Brake Light Tail Stop Light (Pack of 2): Amazon.ca: Automotive but I'm not sure how it will show up if you're not in Canada. I paid $15 Canadian for two of them.

View attachment 287412

Already loving it! We went for a short walk off the bikes tonight and I just threw my tank bag in the top box instead of dragging it along. I love how easy it comes off the bike too.
Cool, thanks, I just typed in the part number and it popped right up, I got rear ended a few years ago on my CB750, it's always been in the back of my mind but never when I'm ordering parts or anything else on Amazon when I'm trying to make minimum for free shipping.

#16,867 ·
Cool, thanks, I just typed in the part number and it popped right up, I got rear ended a few years ago on my CB750, it's always been in the back of my mind but never when I'm ordering parts or anything else on Amazon when I'm trying to make minimum for free shipping.
I'm waiting on the LED bulb to install the flasher. I'll let you know how the install goes. I've been meaning to do mine for a while too.

#16,872 ·
Just finished installing the brake light strobe controller, since my bike is in good nick, I don't want to hack up the wiring and my distrust of electronics that cost $17 for three and made in China, I traced the brake light circuit and since I have the bullet connectors I hooked it in at the connectors under the right side cover, now in case of failure it's field removable without need of tools, just in case, I'd be really P Oed if I had gone with my first thought of soldering it in line under the brake light housing, then it fails and no brake light till I take the housing off.

#16,873 ·
I traced the brake light circuit and since I have the bullet connectors I hooked it in at the connectors under the right side cover, now in case of failure it's field removable without need of tools, just in case
That's a great idea - I had planned on installing mine under the seat but under the side cover is even better! I was planning on using connectors rather than soldering too, just in case of failure.

#16,874 ·
That's a great idea - I had planned on installing mine under the seat but under the side cover is even better! I was planning on using connectors rather than soldering too, just in case of failure.
Mine was green with yellow stripe, then I tied both ground wires from the controller together crimped in a ring connector and went to the bolt for the battery box circled in yellow, I'm not sure if the aero is much different but you never know.

#16,877 ·
Today was great, haven’t had a proper test ride as of yet but I fitted a new front tire, new tube, installed my latest project of shaved fork sliders with all new bushings and new seals and trying out Maxima 15W fork oil this time. Seems I have finalized my front fender delete and I’m loving the front end looks already. Stupid tire took 68psi to seat both beads and scared the hell out of me, spending the rest of the day drinking... will ride tomorrow haha. 🤘🏻

Yes, it leans a lot. love it.

#16,880 ·
Today was great, haven’t had a proper test ride as of yet but I fitted a new front tire, new tube, installed my latest project of shaved fork sliders with all new bushings and new seals and trying out Maxima 15W fork oil this time. Seems I have finalized my front fender delete and I’m loving the front end looks already. Stupid tire took 68psi to seat both beads and scared the hell out of me, spending the rest of the day drinking... will ride tomorrow haha. 🤘🏻

View attachment 287490

Yes, it leans a lot. love it.
A man after my own heart. Sitting here with an ice cold Labatts and have a refrigerator more waiting for me. What kind of whiskey is that in the trash?