Honda Shadow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 83 750 vtc needs a hot battery to crank and run.
i need a new battery. in the mean time if i put it on the charger and get the "voltage" rating up to 14 or better it fires up.
with a cold engine at 12 to 13 "V" the starter spins but not fast enough for the engine to come to life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No Start, no anything

I have a 2003 750 spirit, I went out last sat. to ride, turned the switch on, everything came on like normal, hit the start button everything went off, no lights no anything, checked the fuse under the seat and it's ok so anyone have any other ideas of what to check is the any type of electrical module? I have checked the battery and it's good, new last month also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wassup said "If you press the starter button and the engine turns over, but does not start, then the problem is most likely NOT the battery." ]

My bike has this problem as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
84 Honda Shadow 700 won't start when I turn it on.

I have an 84 700 Honda Shadow. I just had the ingnition switch rebuilt. Last night I had to drive it home in the rain. Today, when I went to start it, the lights came on, but nothing would happen when I hit the start button. It would not turn over. The light dimmed when I would hit the start button. I checked the kill switch and it was on run. I shut if off a couple of times and tried it, again nothing. I rocked it in gear and then tried to start it, nothing. Any ideas? Do you think I take it back to where I had it fixed and have them fix it for nothing because he said he checked all wires from the battery up?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Now mine won't start either. The battery is good and the engine does turn, as evident by the heartbeat sound fom the exhaust, and the starter turns but makes a wierd sound as it does. It sounds like a starter usually does but louder and faster. It turns faster than the engine does. The past few weeks it has been kinda week on starting (battery is the first thing I checked, it's good) and now I get no start at all. I can't get it push started either. Not because of the problem but because it is all level ground and I have to get it over 10 mph and in 3rd to pop start it. When I do get it moving fast enough, it slows very fast when I jump on and try to pump
it up a couple gears. The nearest downhill is 2 blocks away and if it doesn't start I'll never be able to push it back up. I didn't want to look at it today either because it got up to 98° and won't get below 80° any time soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
there was a similar post about this same issue that i posted a reply the same suggestion i'm about to give you. i happen to have an 84 vt700 in my shop now that was doing the same thing. turn switch on, killswitch on 'run', hit starter button... and.... nothing. i did some checking on the connections and there was in fact a connection loose. on the starter silenoid, you have two post and connector that can be traced back to your starter and to your starter button on the opposite end. that connector had worked itself loose. you will still have all power and lights to the bike, but the starter is not getting anything because of the loose connection. check that and see what you find out. hope it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reply: Bike won't start

Jottum said:
Hey folks! Quick question from a 6 year rider, 1 month tinkerer. I have an 01 750 A.C.E that wont start this year. New battery, getting plenty of spark, had some old gas in the tank over the winter. I added new gas and some seafoam, but didn't drain the tank. I traced the line from the tank to the in line filter just below the tank and onward. Is this bike equipped with a fuel pump? Is that what the cylinder tucked low in the frame is that has one line in and another fuel line out? The out line goes all the way back up to the carbureator. I am just wondering if maybe my pump is out. I sprayed Starter fluid into the carb and it fired for about a second then died again. I have done this several times and get the same result.

the air filter is new as well. I haven't done anything with the carbeurator though. I am not that tech savy yet.

I have 2k miles on it. I live in MN and we don't have long riding seasons, plus two littel kids have kept me from the bike as much as I want.

any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Reply: I am wondering if your problem has been corrected. I am having the same problem. I bought this bike that has been sitting for a prolonged time, (less than a year) and it ran like crap. I.E. spitting and sputtering with back fire. I put sea foam in it and it seemed to run like a champ after a while. I then went out and tried to start it up and it ran like crap again. So, I decided to change the old fuel out. Now, I have cranking but not starting! I haven't tried spraying in the carb but everything eles i checked points to a fuel issue or the lack there-of. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ran across one I did not see covered, or I missed it. Either way, here it goes.

I left my switch on the other day and drained my batt low enough not to crank the bike. After leaving it on the tender the batt was charged enough and I set the enrichment circuit to open. Fired up the bike and she was fine. Close the petcock, remove key this time. That was a couple days ago. This morning I went out to fire up the bike it fired ran and sputtered out. pet **** was open, all was well cept the bike would not re-crank. turns out the fuel in the bowls evaporated out. (for all I can figure this is the only thing I can think happened) I had left the enrichment circuit open and I believe this allowed the majority of the fuel in the carb bowls to escape via evap. Most of us know how much of a P.I.A. getting the dry bowls on these shadows refilled is. Needless to say my drive to school in the Buick was an angry curse filled one. A few minutes of crank, sit, crank, sit and she fired right up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero - rode it to try it out (even in Dec. in Ohio) - it seemed to run fine. The day I picked it up the seller told me the battery was dead, so he had to charge it that morning. I let it sit a couple of weeks after bringing it home before we got a battery tender. Now, battery appears to be charging, but when I try to start it, it will turn over until the battery loses it's charge - will not start. HELP! Does this seem to be something other than the battery?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero - rode it to try it out (even in Dec. in Ohio) - it seemed to run fine. The day I picked it up the seller told me the battery was dead, so he had to charge it that morning. I let it sit a couple of weeks after bringing it home before we got a battery tender. Now, battery appears to be charging, but when I try to start it, it will turn over until the battery loses it's charge - will not start. HELP! Does this seem to be something other than the battery?
did you read your post? 5 year old bike in ohio. possibly a 5 year old battery in ohio. the seller tells you he needs to charge the battery in order to start the bike the day you pick it up. you put it on a battery tender. does your tender tell you that it is charging the battery? mine does not. it simply 'tends' the battery in the condition it is already in and will bring it to a full charge if the battery will take it. if it's dead, it's dead. you can tender it all you want and it will remain dead. with all that you've mentioned here, why would you want to go tinkering or potentially change something else without getting a new battery or borrow one to attempt starting the bike which would be the most obvious and simple solution. kiss...is the rule of thumb here.

so i'd answer 'no' to your question and you'd be foolish to look for other concerns without exploring the obvious one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK, one more...

I got this 1987 Shadow VT 1100 C from a friend who tired of riding. Bike was basically sitting in his backyard. I took it home and started cleaning it (exterior) then replaced the spark plugs with the required ones, properly gapped and hooked a brand new battery on it. I went through every procedure pre-starting it and it hesitated a few tries, after which it started chugging. All lights work well but when the engine is running I can see flickering of the lights going in rhythm with the engine, they don't shut off but rather flicker. Is this normal or am I looking at some work here?

And BTW, great Forum, great advices and great friendship here! Thank y'all for any replies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to interfere. But I'm an electrician.
a small glimmer of light bulbs can be caused by:
1) Low voltage of the battery
2) Not reliable (poor) contacts wires on the relay voltage regulator.
3) Large load on the generator. (for instance if you installed additional lights)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to interfere. But I'm an electrician.
a small glimmer of light bulbs can be caused by:
1) Low voltage of the battery
2) Not reliable (poor) contacts wires on the relay voltage regulator.
3) Large load on the generator. (for instance if you installed additional lights)
Any advice is always welcome!

It's most probable the low voltage but I'll check the contacts on the relay/voltage regulator. I do not have any additional lights, yet...

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you.
Low voltage battery most likely cause.
Its hard to follow, and not to allow a low voltage (less than 12 volts). This can cause breakage of the relay voltage regulator.
He does not like this.

And I recommend to check the reliability of fixing the wires to the battery terminals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just checked the voltage at the battery terminals, it gave 13.2V. I applied some contact cleaner to the relay VR and tried to start. Not much of a success. A few puffs and then silence. The choke is open BTW, I cleaned the Start button as well. Starter works too. When trying to start it, the low beam and lights dim quite a bit during the starting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did not understand. Please write a short sentence.
The battery may have a voltage 13.2v, BUT! Thus it can be bad. You need to check its voltage under load. How many volts if the voltage drops when the ignition(with the engine off)?
Contacts should be cleaned by mechanical means. Aerosols are ineffective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey folks, i'M having a bad luck this spring starting my shadow spirit 03 for first time this year after a long winter.:-x
for the first time since i got this beauty, it's refusing to start!
every year i do everything by the book and every spring it starts from the second try! not this spring!
for the basic check, all is fine: battery is recharged several times due to the tries, fuel checked, sparg plugs checked
Only thing different i did and i think that's the mistake i did in winter- is remove the spark and put few oil drops in the cylinder - this is what is recommended in the manual! if this is really the issue, how can i do to fix it

so what is happening when i hit the starter, it goes on and on with no signs of willing to start at all, tried with/without choke, full gas, i'm deseparate!
last year i did a full checkup at the mecanic shop and never had an issue before or after the checkup.

any ideas!
thanks!

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
hey folks, i'M having a bad luck this spring starting my shadow spirit 03 for first time this year after a long winter.:-x
for the first time since i got this beauty, it's refusing to start!
every year i do everything by the book and every spring it starts from the second try! not this spring!
for the basic check, all is fine: battery is recharged several times due to the tries, fuel checked, sparg plugs checked
Only thing different i did and i think that's the mistake i did in winter- is remove the spark and put few oil drops in the cylinder - this is what is recommended in the manual! if this is really the issue, how can i do to fix it

so what is happening when i hit the starter, it goes on and on with no signs of willing to start at all, tried with/without choke, full gas, i'm deseparate!
last year i did a full checkup at the mecanic shop and never had an issue before or after the checkup.

any ideas!
thanks!
Did you put Sta-Bil in the gas and run the bike before storing for the winter? If not, gasoline left for a long period of time turns to a varnish like substance and gums everything up.

Martin

61 - 80 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.