Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guy near me (Lowell, MA) who seems to specialize in the Shadow bike. He has sold a lot and currently has 4. There was a light green one that I like but that's sold. I'm planning to stop by to see his bikes. They are all around $2600-$3100 and are early 2000s vintage. What do people think of these bikes and what should I look for?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
All of them look like they may have been at the least laid down and patched back up. The red one has more rust etc than I'd choose. White one looks decent, I also like the orange 750 Ace, but it's been painted also. and note the strange hole in the rear fender. Keep in mind, almost no one (other than Harley riders,,,) paints a bike that doesn't need it. The blue/black Aero might be ok, I personally never cared for their fixed handlebars or shaft drive gearing that can't be changed, some report them "buzzy" at highway speeds, The others just need an easy rear sprocket change and have separate handlebars and risers which gives you more options. Some of the seats are pretty ragged, surprised he didn't replace them, You will probably want an aftermarket seat anyway, another negotiating point for you.

If they check out ok mechanically, no abnormal smoke, leaks or noises I might consider the white or orange one.

But it's going to be your bike, bottom line, buy the bike YOU like.

Check cycletrader.com for bikes in your area.

The white one also has a what looks like a Memphis Shades windshield bracket but no shield. Also saddlebag mounts with relocated turn signals. could mount some universal bags easy enough.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just from the pics...............I`d go with the Blue/Black 750 Aero.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,221 Posts
White Spirit all day, Chain drive always wins IMO plus there is more room to do semi-insane mods with the Spirit platform as it has the RC44 engine and dual carbs.

Orange ACE is my second choice, again this has the RC44 engine and dual carbs with chain drive, the number one complaint I see with shaft drive rides and riders that want to do some mods is that the shaft drives such as the Aero don’t leave much room for RPM and they end up revving out early compared to chain drive, with a chain it’s easy to change sprockets out and lower your cruise RPM but with a shaft drive it’s a much much much more involved process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of them look like they may have been at the least laid down and patched back up. The red one has more rust etc than I'd choose. White one looks decent, I also like the orange 750 Ace, but it's been painted also.
I can see some of the rips in the seats but man, you have good eyes because I don't see any rust or other damage. The bikes look great from the photos to my untrained eyes.

Check cycletrader.com for bikes in your area.
I have checked cycletrader and will do so again. It doesn't seem to have much of a selection compared to FB and there are more dealer bikes. Ditto for Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
try facebook marketplace for your area, was looking for a washer for my mother, they had 2x as many as craigslist and most looked better and were less money

I bought 2 from a guy who owned a body shop... (slow learner,,,) they looked good was about it. One had the frame buckled under the tank, which I found out months later... A good clue is new paint, aftermarket mirrors or levers etc.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
oh yeah, forgot.

right click on the picture of the red one, open in new tab, then click on the pic and it should zoom in. forks have oxidation, bottoms of mufflers look rusty as does stuff in the fork triple-tree area, rest needs a serious cleaning.

And just because they have been painted etc. doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the bike. Just be aware and look things over more carefully maybe.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,905 Posts
I am in agreement with @Froth either the white Spirit or the orange ACE for the same reasons, flexibility in modifications.
I prefer the peg position with the ACE, but @oldguy's comment on the paint is correct and that fender hole seems weird, although somebody must of had a reason for it.
My ACE is 12 years old and has a noticeable patina, looks OK from 10 feet, the only thing saving it from the paint gun is I'm cheap and lazy.

The Aero is a good bike, but it is very much a case of "it is what it is" as a platform for modification or customizing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
try facebook marketplace for your area,
It was Facebook Marketplace that got me back to using it. I was an early user of FB and then dropped it. Then about a year ago, I created a new account and started using the Marketplace. That led me to join a few groups (gardening, new motorcycle riders, small engine repair, etc). I find it pretty good for those things and to use messenger.

One of the annoying things about FB marketplace is that it hides the engine size info when you use a web browser. It shows the info when using the iPhone App. Have you seen this?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
no, I don't use facebook myself, but have found I can still view the marketplace stuff without an account. I have my neighbor or niece do the contact stuff if i'm really interested in something..

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,449 Posts
The white Spirit for looks and performance and the blue n' black Aero because of the 2 tone scheme. As for being moddable, think how long you might ride it and possibly move up in size for a truly more comfortable bike. This happens more times than not. Nice to see someone take a interest in preserving older Shadows.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,221 Posts
oh yeah, forgot.

right click on the picture of the red one, open in new tab, then click on the pic and it should zoom in. forks have oxidation, bottoms of mufflers look rusty as does stuff in the fork triple-tree area, rest needs a serious cleaning.

And just because they have been painted etc. doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the bike. Just be aware and look things over more carefully maybe.
Red one definitely looks like it sat outside for a while, basically all the accessory chrome is starting to rust and much of the aluminium is starting to oxidize. No bueno.

• Haha
Reactions: GrowVeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Research all of those bikes. Check their specs. Most of those early 2000 bikes had pitiful hp ratings. Really slow bikes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I ride a 2002 Shadow spirit VT750DC i got for $300 from a guy who thought it was junk. It was a $50 fuel pump relay problem. It sat for 2 years with no gas in it in a garage. I gor it to start in 30min with a bypass wire and some gas. Sure it ran like crap but it wanted to live. I cleaned the carbs, replaced the tires and checked everything. Got my license and I still have it as my bike today. A well kept Honda or even a poorly kept Honda can last a long time.

Parts are easy to find on Amazon, ebay or parts shops.

The rectifier has been my only major problem and i solved that with bigger gauge wires, heat sinks and some soldering.

19yrs old and sounds like a Harley do to my mods. HD guys more than once have walked up asking what year HD it is and i tell them its a Honda. They scoff and walk away. Probably mad my bike fooled them.

These babies last. Just be sure to ride it at highway speed for 30min or more for a test. If this guy has done at least what I have as far as work on them, they are a good buy for that price if in the 750cc range. Just my thoughts based on my experience.

My ride. An older pic. Looks a little different now as I painted the air box and added accessories. But i got this for $300 and after i fixed it up, the week after i got my license i rode her from San Antonio to Lake Dallas TX. Ran smooth. If an idiot like me can fix it up and run then that tells you these bikes are a good deal fornthe long haul.

Cheers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've seen the bike on FB and it looks good. I'll keep it in mind. I'm planning to wait until I've taken the class next weekend. Hopefully they will help me decide which bike/size I should get.

Thanks. @bd* what are your thoughts on @japcowboy 's comment?
My thinking is, if you like it, buy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts