Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

93 1100, K&N, Cobra drag pipes, almost no baffle and jet kit. Been screwing with the jetting for some while. Runs good and strong, popping on de-accel. Will be up'ing the pilots soon to try and remedy that.

Anyway, these plugs were new 2 weeks ago. They have about 600 miles on them with the previous setup (they were pretty clean/white looking), but about 150 miles with the newly jetted set up.

What do you think? They are cylinder pairs. On all 4 plugs, one side was cleaner than the other, so I tried to take both sides.

The ceremic is more of a greyish color than brown, but there is some brown color in it. I was told you should look more at the edge of the threaded portion, not at the ceramic...not sure if thats true or not. The camera also brightened it a bit compared to in person...my garage floor looks **** bright!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
POPPING is normal, ALL internal combustion engines POP. You just don't hear it in heavily muffled exhaust. In some most cases, when dealing with high air flowing motor, Total elimination of the popping can be detremental. This is because you have to tune too far to the rich side to get rid of all of it. Work to miniminze popping not elemination.
Lean and hot...... Try different heat range on the plugs and/or raise the needle and/or adjust floats a little richer.
One side of each plugs will naturally be cleaner than the other, the side facing the intake, cleaner.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so....93gc40...what do you think of my plug color?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hello All,

93 1100, K&N, Cobra drag pipes, almost no baffle and jet kit. Been screwing with the jetting for some while. Runs good and strong, popping on de-accel. Will be up'ing the pilots soon to try and remedy that.

Anyway, these plugs were new 2 weeks ago. They have about 600 miles on them with the previous setup (they were pretty clean/white looking), but about 150 miles with the newly jetted set up.

What do you think? They are cylinder pairs. On all 4 plugs, one side was cleaner than the other, so I tried to take both sides.

The ceremic is more of a greyish color than brown, but there is some brown color in it. I was told you should look more at the edge of the threaded portion, not at the ceramic...not sure if thats true or not. The camera also brightened it a bit compared to in person...my garage floor looks **** bright!

Looks a smidgen lean, you should have a slight brown tint on the plugs, any gray or white at all means a little lean or you're running VERY clean gas.

That's the issue with the new fuels, they burn VERY clean, hard to tell but from the looks id say lean.

·
Registered
302 Posts
600 miles is not a lot of miles for reading plug condition, unless you're running way out of the correct mix. At 600 miles about the only thing that would show up would be black soot from a super rich mixture, wet (gas) from bad carbs, or wet (oil) from a worn out motor. If it's running good, enjoy it, and look at plug condition after a few thousand. Popping doesn't mean it's running wrong. Pipes with less than factory level baffles tend to pop.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
so....93gc40...what do you think of my plug color?

Leanish and Hottish.... and Normal...... How much ethanol are they putting in your gas there?????? I'd leave as is, for now, re-check plugs after another 600-1000 miles.

I'm starting to think, you just need to have another cross bar welded onto you baffle, increase the back pressure a little. Or find some exhaust tuning cones.

·
Registered
265 Posts
**** 10 miles should be plenty to tell from plug color, you don't need to run 600 miles, if you're running lean that whole time you're done for.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think about 10% Ethanol.

I might have another piece put in my baffle... good idea.

I'm picking up my larger pilots in about 30 min... I'll try the larger pilots and see. I'd like to get my 170 jets in...

I read somehwere on here that someone said the DJ kits are lean to start with because of the needle position they recommend... BUT, this needle isn't the same needle that is supplied with the normal DJ kit, but it is for the Cobra kit....not sure how that plays out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, these weren't chops...just 600 miles of pipes with NO re-jetting and a few hundred (less than 200) with the new jetting.

Wouldn't you believe this... on the way home I stopped on got gas...figured I'd try the 93 octane with no ethanol at all. I COULD NOT MAKE IT POP ON DE-ACCEL... go figure...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts