Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what others use in their ultrasonics. I used half pine sol and half water last time i cleaned my carbs. I heard simple green is good. Also wondering if anyone used straight cleaner without mixing with water?

·
Registered
420 Posts
What are using for an ultrasonic cleaner? I mean is it reasonable priced and big enough for a decent sized part? I like the whole idea but have never actually checked into an ultrasonic parts cleaner. My wife works at a dentists office and they have an ultrasonic cleaner that works really well but it's for small items. BTW I think they just use a little soap, the sound waves do most of the work.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I use 50-50 Simple Green and water in my 6L tank.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure the brand, but it’s a good sized cleaner. It easily fits my dual carbs with extra room. I borrowed it from a friend. Last time I cleaned the carbs I used half pine sol and half water. That seemed to do the trick. The carbs were in really bad shape. I have to clean them again because of contamination from the aux tank. I though I saw others just using straight cleaner so was just curious what you guys did.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a 30L (yes that is 30L not 3L!) ultra-sonic cleaner in my shop. I have several sets of 5 gallon buckets that I keep various cleaning mixtures in. Mine has the same drain valve as the one pictured above making it easy and fast to swap to a different mixture.

For heavy non-hardened greasy stuff, I use a Purple Power mixture or an ammonia/Krud Cutter mixture if the object can handle the ammonia.
For brass or brass alloy objects a mixture of vinegar, salt, and water. Also works great on copper stuff. (Think yard sale brass stuff my wife drags home) Electrical connectors can be suspended in the tank to clean them shiny bright! I have even done an entire wiring harness from a Toyota Fj40! (Note: the harness was NOT put back into service as the mixture will penetrate the wiring and continue to erode the copper wires even after it is dried. This harness was to be used as a template to build another one and I just wanted it clean.)

Pure Kerosene or diesel fuel for baked on greasy objects like engine/transmission parts. Yes a total fire hazard but I only do this if I am in the shop. It is never allowed to run unattended. The fire extinguisher is kept close by and the unit (which is on a cart with wheels) is placed away from anything that might burn.

For carbs and other more delicate items I put them in a plastic bag with some non diluted Simple Green or Purple Power and drop it into the tank regardless of whats in the tank at the time. Keeps small parts together easier and I don't have to swap the mixture out to clean a small part.

There are many commercial cleaners for specific purposes but they can be VERY expensive...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 30L (yes that is 30L not 3L!) ultra-sonic cleaner in my shop. I have several sets of 5 gallon buckets that I keep various cleaning mixtures in. Mine has the same drain valve as the one pictured above making it easy and fast to swap to a different mixture.

For heavy non-hardened greasy stuff, I use a Purple Power mixture or an ammonia/Krud Cutter mixture if the object can handle the ammonia.
For brass or brass alloy objects a mixture of vinegar, salt, and water. Also works great on copper stuff. (Think yard sale brass stuff my wife drags home) Electrical connectors can be suspended in the tank to clean them shiny bright! I have even done an entire wiring harness from a Toyota Fj40! (Note: the harness was NOT put back into service as the mixture will penetrate the wiring and continue to erode the copper wires even after it is dried. This harness was to be used as a template to build another one and I just wanted it clean.)

Pure Kerosene or diesel fuel for baked on greasy objects like engine/transmission parts. Yes a total fire hazard but I only do this if I am in the shop. It is never allowed to run unattended. The fire extinguisher is kept close by and the unit (which is on a cart with wheels) is placed away from anything that might burn.

For carbs and other more delicate items I put them in a plastic bag with some non diluted Simple Green or Purple Power and drop it into the tank regardless of whats in the tank at the time. Keeps small parts together easier and I don't have to swap the mixture out to clean a small part.

There are many commercial cleaners for specific purposes but they can be VERY expensive...
Wow thanks for the information! I think I’ll give simple green a shot. Random question is cleaner a one time use? For example simple green

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mine gets a lot of use for tiny parts...mostly slides, actions, mags, and various things smaller than 6" in size.
Often use synthetic oil, since its more for a lube than actual cleaning...the items are usually pretty clean before going in...
also great to drop a pocketknife into for a quick clean!

Strangely enough just Boiling Hot water and the agitation cleans the heck out of most things.
Maybe a drop or two of Dawn/your favorite soap...but really, like ONE DROP...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow thanks for the information! I think I’ll give simple green a shot. Random question is cleaner a one time use? For example simple green
No, you can use the cleaner over and over until it stops cleaning well. When cleaning really dirty stuff you should get as much dirt as possible off the part BEFORE you put it in your tank. Any dirt that falls off will settle to the bottom of the tank. If allowed to accumulate too much it will interfere with the ultra-sonic emitters reducing their effectiveness. With the drain valves on the bigger tanks, draining and filtering the solution allows it to stay cleaner longer. I just use a large funnel with a coffee filter or an old shop towel if I'm in a hurry.

If you are thinking of scoring points with the wife by cleaning her diamond or other precious gem rings, be cautious! If you don't know EXACTLY what the gem is you can destroy it in a ultra-sonic cleaner! HEre is a web site that has a few cautions about this: https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/gems-ultrasonic-cleaners/ :wink2:

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Pinesol and a crock pot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
jmsanch
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing