Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW ! ! !
I saw the sign this morning, $115 per Hour/$120 watercraft Labor Charge at my local HONDA ???

AND They ain`t even got my tube ! ! !

I`m glad I do my own...

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

· Registered
212 Posts
Yeah that’s pretty insane, I can’t tell you how much money I’ve saved over the years by doing my own maintenance and repairs on our motorcycles and automobiles.

Reactions: "Captain D"

· Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,427 Posts
I've bought specialty tools -- like the Motion Pro 90˚ screw driver -- thinking how expensive it is. But in reality if I use that tool only once instead of taking the bike to a shop, I'm ahead at least $200! Buying a $50 shop manual has saved thousands of dollars. That's a pretty good return on investment if you ask me.

Plus, I enjoy working on the bikes and I have peace of mind knowing that repairs have been done properly.

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,845 Posts
Here, one Honda service that posts labor charges its $130 MC and $150 WC thats about $95 and $110 USD.

However some dealer service bundle packages such as 30k service etc where they perform a variety of services similar to Honda Automotive. Others provide service based on Honda's published estimated labor for a procedure.

· Registered
3,211 Posts
It’s because the older generation of mechanic is retiring, and most of the new ones just want to plug in a diagnostic computer, and be told what parts to start swapping and charging the customer for…
Cost of living dude. It costs more and more each year to oay the insurance, light bill, etc. plus staff expect higher pay each year because their expenses keep going up as well. Good luck finding someone willing to do simple oil changes for less than $20 an hour. Add in the continously increasing rate of shoplifting coupled with the lack of work ethic with many younger workers.
It's getting hard for shops that have to pay employees to make any kind of money.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,801 Posts
Cost of living dude. It costs more and more each year to oay the insurance, light bill, etc. plus staff expect higher pay each year because their expenses keep going up as well. Good luck finding someone willing to do simple oil changes for less than $20 an hour. Add in the continously increasing rate of shoplifting coupled with the lack of work ethic with many younger workers.
It's getting hard for shops that have to pay employees to make any kind of money.
^^^^This is it in a nutshell^^^^

I am no business man and I don’t have my own business, with good reason. I am too nice, I try not to lie, and I like to make sure things are done right. You cannot make money doing things “right”, it just doesn’t work that way. That $20/hr oil change, you think it is the most knowledgeable mechanic doing it? Nope it is usually the least knowledgeable person in the shop, you want someone that knows what they are doing to change the oil in your bike you will have to pony up more $$$ or do it yourself.

This crap from the dealerships about “we don’t work on vehicles over this old” is just crap. If your worried about breaking plastic bits then quit making stuff out of plastic.

If you want to buy something and keep it for more than ten years you better learn how to work on it yourself. The world has gotten on a five year life span. Things are only made to last that long then recycle the item and get a new one.

I’m gonna stop here because I just don’t feel like typing everything going thru my head right now.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
503 Posts
You nailed it Eric!
I was able to justify buying all the tools needed to easily change the tires on Trinity when my local shop told me they could not mount the tires I had purchased from Revzilla. They basically said we only mount the tires if you buy them from us. Their tires prices were REALLY high and to mount two tires was $150.00.

So bought the HF motorcycle tire changer, the Motoman tire tool, the tire balancer and weights and did it myself. The tools paid for themselves on the second tire change.

Even if I had the money to burn, I would not pay a shop to work on my bike. I just don't trust them anymore to do it right.

Same with my 2018 Ford F-150. I was really nervous buying that truck (bought it used with 35K on it) due to all the computers it has in it to do EVERYTHING! However the F150 forumn convinced me to buy an old laptop, buy a USB to OBDC converter and learn how to diagnose the truck myself should something go wrong. I downloaded a program called ForScan and learned to use it. I can now easlity go into the trucks operating system and fine tune a lot of things that normally woulr require a trip to the dealer.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,801 Posts
I’m in the same situation with my recently purchased 2019 Dodge Grant Caravan GT. I did not research anything about the vans before I bought it, just loved the things that much, and then I got on a forum. I did not plan to do any heavy maintenance on the van but my local dealer changed my mind about that. These vans did not come with a dipstick to check the transmission fluid with, so I went to my local dealer and talked to the service manager about it. He said they stopped putting the DS in the transmission to keep people from putting in the wrong fluid,,,really!!! He offered to have one of the techs check the fluid for me but made sure I understood that it was lifetime fluid and if there is a problem the transmission is replaced as one unit.

Strange that my owners manual says to change transmission fluid every 60k miles and I found out “lifetime” is 120k miles.

Yeah, not doing business with that dealer.

· Registered
3,211 Posts
^^^^This is it in a nutshell^^^^

I am no business man and I don’t have my own business, with good reason. I am too nice, I try not to lie, and I like to make sure things are done right. You cannot make money doing things “right”, it just doesn’t work that way. That $20/hr oil change, you think it is the most knowledgeable mechanic doing it? Nope it is usually the least knowledgeable person in the shop, you want someone that knows what they are doing to change the oil in your bike you will have to pony up more $$$ or do it yourself.

This crap from the dealerships about “we don’t work on vehicles over this old” is just crap. If your worried about breaking plastic bits then quit making stuff out of plastic.

If you want to buy something and keep it for more than ten years you better learn how to work on it yourself. The world has gotten on a five year life span. Things are only made to last that long then recycle the item and get a new one.

I’m gonna stop here because I just don’t feel like typing everything going thru my head right now.

Eric

It's not just that you have the new guy changing your oil, but the hard part is the shop manager training that new guy that he/she isn't paid to stand there and watch the oil drain out. Open the drain plug, remove the filter and knock a hole in it then go find something else to do. Come back in 30 minutes.
The "book" pretty much tells you how much to charge per maintenance procedure. The trick is getting the new guys to actually get the job done in that amount of time.
The problem working on older vehicles is all the little issues you run across. Slows the jobs down. If a job is supposed to take an hour and the tech accomplishes it in 45 minutes then the shop makes money. If bolts and nuts are frozen, wires brittle and cracked and it makes the job take an hour and a half to perform then the shop loses money AND the mechanic/tech loses money as well. It's a vicious cycle and a tough way to make money.

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,845 Posts
... shop manager training that new guy that he/she isn't paid to stand there and watch the oil drain out. Open the drain plug, remove the filter and knock a hole in it then go find something else to do. Come back in 30 minutes. ...
I would rather have the "new guy" wait the 2 minutes to drain the oil rather than tying up a lift/bay for an additional 30 minutes unless somehow your shop does oil changes on the ground.

Speaking with a service manager here, his biggest gripe is the bikes that come in with all sorts of mods: shorty exhaust, carb kits, K&N filter, car tires, iridium plugs that have not been removed in 5 years, windshields, additional lights, saddlebags, wiring for every added light, wiring for trickle charger, floorboards, etc etc. Then don't tell him about the mod and want the bike back in an hour and $100 like they were quoted on the phone.

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,508 Posts
I do all my work except tire changes. About $40 with tax, tire disposal, and labor. I guess about $70 an hour in 2020. Still trying to wear out my front Cobra with a new Exedra on stand by. It's going to be a fork seal and tire change at the same time but....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts