Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Progressive Springs and I'm going to replace the oil, should I stay stock (10W If I am correct?) or go to something like 15W?

What would the difference be if I put 15W in it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Hey Epic,

Using the heavier oil will create a harsher ride. Because it is thicker than the stock oil, it will be harder to push through the dampers in the front end.

I guess it truly depends on what type of ride you want from your bike. If you shortened the stroke on the front end (went with shorter springs) you may want to run the heavier oil so it doesn't bottom out as easily.

Hope this helps...and yeah, I know...it really doesn't answer your question...but it should give you a little to think about.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spirit_1100 said:
Hey Epic,

Using the heavier oil will create a harsher ride. Because it is thicker than the stock oil, it will be harder to push through the dampers in the front end.

I guess it truly depends on what type of ride you want from your bike. If you shortened the stroke on the front end (went with shorter springs) you may want to run the heavier oil so it doesn't bottom out as easily.

Hope this helps...and yeah, I know...it really doesn't answer your question...but it should give you a little to think about.

Joe
Thanks, That does answer one question though, I won't go to a heavier oil then, the roads around here aren't the best in the first place.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I changed to progressives all the way around on both bikes. I took my bike on a test ride with the 10w fork oil, but didn't like the ride. I changed to 15w fork oil and it rode smoother. For me, I wouldnt use 10w, but it depends on the roads, the weight of the bike, the weight of the rider, etc.

{Edit} Almost forgot to mention that I did lower the front about 1/2". {EndEdit}

The only way for you to tell is to give it a ride and see if the 10w is feeling good to you. If it is, my recommendation is to not change it!

[Standing on the Soapbox]
One thing that I really am disappointed about is the fact that Honda didnt have the foresight to add drain plugs for the forks. I ended up using some rigid tubing and a home made pump to get the oil out. It worked good, but sure isnt a good substitute for drain plugs.
[Getting off Soapbox]

Sorry, that's just been bugging me for a while ;)

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
zikzak said:
[Standing on the Soapbox]
One thing that I really am disappointed about is the fact that Honda didnt have the foresight to add drain plugs for the forks. I ended up using some rigid tubing and a home made pump to get the oil out. It worked good, but sure isnt a good substitute for drain plugs.
[Getting off Soapbox]

Sorry, that's just been bugging me for a while ;)

Mark
Mark for President!!!

I concur, what a stupid way to save a few bucks of manufacturing cost......the "inaccessibility engineers" were hard at work the day they designed the drain plugs, out of the forks. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
my 86 shadow has drain plugs! why would they stop doing this?!

barrett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
gremlin said:
my 86 shadow has drain plugs! why would they stop doing this?!

barrett
Why did FoMoCo decide against adding the $11.00 protection part in front of the PINTO's fuel tank.

$11.00 X 100,000 vehicles = savings of $1.1million - of course this backfired as we all know (no pun intended) because it was a safety issue, but the thought process is the same. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Lets see if I can help with the thicker, thinner fork oil.
Good roads (smooth, soft dips) would be for the thinner oil.
Ruff roads, steps up and off interstate bridges, pot holes, sharp dips would be for a thicker oil.

The thinner the oil the more Springy the suspension (more springs less dampening)

The heavier the oil the more dampening and less springy.
The thinner oiled suspension will not dampen sharp abrupt cracks, and dips as well.
And add in weight, more of it means the suspension (springs) will give more on the same impact (bottom out easier).

About the drain screws, if you look at the bottom of the fork legs you can see a little flat mound, that is where the drain screw was, or should be if a person wanted to drill it and tap it for a small screw and a sealing washer. But the forks would have to be completely apart to do that, but it would be very easy to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MarkC said:
Epic said:
Another Question?

Is fork oil pretty much the same as Regular Oil?
No! its more like hydraulic oil (transmisson fluid).
MarkC
So is it safe to use Hydraulic oil as fork oil?

Thanks, I understand the difference between the 10 and the 15 now, and judging by the roads around here, sounds like 15W is the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Dextron

I changed to the new springs also, but I added .5" to the spacer and put dextron transmission fluid in them. So far it has worked great. We live about a 1.5 miles off the main road and if our county motorgrader operator thinks I am not haveing a hard time driving thru his ruts. He comes out and blades some new ones in the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Epic said:
MarkC said:
Epic said:
Another Question?
Is fork oil pretty much the same as Regular Oil?
No! its more like hydraulic oil (transmisson fluid).
MarkC
So is it safe to use Hydraulic oil as fork oil?
Thanks, I understand the difference between the 10 and the 15 now, and judging by the roads around here, sounds like 15W is the way to go.
Hydraulic oil in the forks may work but it may not have the proper additives for long term use in the forks. Its my understanding that the transmission fluid is fine. I think for no more than it takes and no more often than you have to change it I would just go to a bike shop and by some 15W fork oil.
I'm not sure just what the viscosity is of MerconIII transmission fluid but I'm thinking its close to 15W.
I know that the Aircraft hydraulic fluid is 5W-10 and that is thinner than the transmission fluid.

In our forklifts at work we run automatic transmission fluid in their hydraulic system for normal operation, but for the freezer operation we delute it to a 60/40 mix of aircraft hydraulic fluid with the transmission fluid.

MarkC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MarkC said:
Epic said:
MarkC said:
Epic said:
Another Question?
Is fork oil pretty much the same as Regular Oil?
No! its more like hydraulic oil (transmisson fluid).
MarkC
So is it safe to use Hydraulic oil as fork oil?
Thanks, I understand the difference between the 10 and the 15 now, and judging by the roads around here, sounds like 15W is the way to go.
Hydraulic oil in the forks may work but it may not have the proper additives for long term use in the forks. Its my understanding that the transmission fluid is fine. I think for no more than it takes and no more often than you have to change it I would just go to a bike shop and by some 15W fork oil.
I'm not sure just what the viscosity is of MerconIII transmission fluid but I'm thinking its close to 15W.
I know that the Aircraft hydraulic fluid is 5W-10 and that is thinner than the transmission fluid.

In our forklifts at work we run automatic transmission fluid in their hydraulic system for normal operation, but for the freezer operation we delute it to a 60/40 mix of aircraft hydraulic fluid with the transmission fluid.

MarkC
Okay, looks like a local bike shop I go! Thanks for the info :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top