Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Shadow VT750 Aero C4 RC50
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s getting cold here and I am looking for a way to keep my hands a bit warmer while riding.
What system fits our beloved Shadow VT750’s best?
Thanks

· Registered
904 Posts
Before I`d hook up electric heated grips to a 750 charging system I`d...

Try 100% Silk Glove Liners
matched to
Deerskin or Elk skin gloves
Heated gloves
Hand Wind Deflectors
'
'
'
'
'
Also a Warm Core (Upper torso chest) will help keep extremities warm.
'

Good Luck with whatever route you go.
Stay Warm- Ride Safe
'

· Registered
715 Posts
I don't have a 750, but neither my 600 or 1100 ACE impresses me as having a lot of excess electrical generating capacity. Nor did Honda engineers make the systems particularly accessible for adding on to. On a bike with a kick starter, I'd be less concerned, but relying on the starting motor and a not particularly large and potentially poorly charged, battery, in cold temperatures seems problematic. This is even more true of EFI equipped machines.

I've already had issues with depleting the battery on my 1100, while cranking, trying to start, which have to do with how the fuel pump circuit works. Thankfully, I can pivot to another motorcycle, when one doesn't start on a cold morning.

Then there is the bit about the wiring diagram complexity! Be careful about where you cut in. One should be considering ground paths as well as supply circuits when planning installations.

I use a set of Hippo hands, and thick insulated gloves, and ride down into the high 20s. This sounds more dramatic than it is, my commute is less than 30 minutes.

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,099 Posts
you can see in my pic the OXFORD version of the hippo hands. They do help block the wind. I also use ski gloves along with my heated grips. I ride about 70 to 90 minutes one way, depending on traffic and have ridden down into the teens. My hands do get pretty cold but still functional. I would love to have heated gloves but have yet to find ones with good reviews and a price tag that I can afford.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,693 Posts

I agree with punxsybob
Keeping the wind OFF is priority ONE...
I gotta get my "Red Neck Fairing" put together soon, temps are dropping,
Dennis

· Registered
493 Posts
I tried all the following:
Gloves: I tried super thickgloves designed for snow mobiling: hands got cold...., I tried a set of waterproof (not) and wind proof (not) outer gloves over a thinsulate inner: hands got cold. I even (I am not kidding) tried to put bread bags over that combo to keep the wind off: Hands got cold. I tried a set of handlebar mounted wind deflectors. Useless for keeping hands warm, but left them on as they do deflect rocks.
Getting tried of cold hands I decided to try a set of electric gloves. I ordered a set off Wish. Beautifully made gloves with large batteries installed in zippered pockets on the back. Lasted several hours per charge and got HOT! Very first ride: Hands got cold... Why? The stupid things were NOT windproof. They were too small anyway so gave those to the wife. She loves them!

So finally I did what I should have done in the first place: Installed a set of Oxford heated grips. Went back to wearing my slightly insulated, none windproof riding gloves.
Result? WARM HANDS! I rode 44 miles to work this morning, and it was 24 degrees. Hands were warm as toast! They have 5 settings and I was on setting 4. At times I would have to remove my hands from the grips as they were getting too hot! Only my thumbs get a little chilly and just placing them on the grips for a few seconds warms them up. Toes got a little cold toward the end of the ride.

Core was fine. I do have a windshield. My clothing is as follows: I had on a long sleeve shirt, a thick fleece hoody, my Olympia riding jacket with insulated thermal liner, and finally the Olympia rain/wind jacket. Pants were a set of fleece lined riding khakis and over that the Olympia padded riding pants. Engineer boots with a single pair of socks. (Which is why my toes got cold...)

The Shadow 750 electrical system has no trouble running the grips, but in all fairness I do have every light except the OEM driving lights converted to LED.

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,131 Posts

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,099 Posts

· Registered
Shadow VT750 Aero C4 RC50
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[QUOTE="Coolerman, post: 5598460, member: 254377"
So finally I did what I should have done in the first place: Installed a set of Oxford heated grips. Went back to wearing my slightly insulated, none windproof riding gloves.
[/QUOTE]

Sorrry for asking, but do you know what size works best for the Shadow VT750

· Registered
493 Posts
My 2007 Shadow Aero has 1" handle bars, so I ordered these:
They make several models, including for bikes with 7/8", bars so check your bar size before ordering!

I got mine on sale for $99.95 back in 2019. They are now at $139.99

1 - 11 of 11 Posts