Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took the petcock out of my tank,and was wondering why the pickup tube is about 2 inches long,what if a person cut it down to say within a half inch..seems to me that itd let it draw more fuel from the tank,would cutting this tube down some hurt anything??.the filter on it is probably another 1inch in lenght compared to the p/u tube,which is clean and closed off at the top..im not wantin to cut it down,just the p/u tube.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
There should be 2 pick-up tubes, the shorter acts as your reserve drawing the fuel the longer left in the tank. If you cut the longer one it will negate this feature.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My 82 kz 550 was missing this feature. sucked major a$$. Many a time you could find me pushing that **** thing somewhere.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There should be 2 pick-up tubes, the shorter acts as your reserve drawing the fuel the longer left in the tank. If you cut the longer one it will negate this feature.
no sir,theres only one,BUT there is a small hole in the petcock beside the pickup tube,maybe thats the one for reserve?..the hole the p/u tube slides up into the tank is only big enough for one tube..ive even checked the manual its only showin the one tube...but to get back to the question,this wouldnt be a good idea to do then,right?..i was just thinking(which is scary) that cuttin the tube shorter would let it suck more fuel out to get somewhat more mileage b4 switchin over to reserve side..but i guess its that long for a reason..even if people were to say yeah id probably decide not to do it..it came like that for a reason i guess..thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
craig s, what you are saying will work. I have tried this on my previous Honda and had success. Rather than 1/2 inch I suggest you creep up on it an 1/8 inch at a time. This will trade the miles on resurve with miles available on the main tank . One note: the petcock sleive filter had a rubber o-ring at about the midpoint. This is what separates main from resurve, so the trimmed tube must still reach above this o-ring. As a side note; if a bike has no working resurve, this o-ring may be defective.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
No matter what you do, without changing the tank for a larger one, or adding an auxiliary (SP?) tank, no matter what you do to it you will only have so much gas/petrol! The tanks are set up so that you will have enough gas/petrol in reserve to hopefully get you to the gas/petrol station. End of story! :shock:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
id really like to just change the tank,id like to get one off a 750 as its much wider,holds more fuel then my 2.9 gallon,unfortunately the ones ive found on ebay people want 200-300$ for one..id prefer if i could get one,without the speedo cluster on the tank since mine is mounted on the handlebars....not sure what 750's whether its the spirit /ace /aero or any other ones it is that doesnt have the cluster,just regular tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.