Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ACE 750 and going to Dallas other weekend, I hit strong headwinds (front blowing in) and with the throttle wide open, I was topping out at 80 mph. I could hit 90 going downhill. I do have a large windshield so the air blasting that was a slowdown, too, but what's the average top end speed one can expect out of a 750. Surely it can do more than that???????

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, I found that after 100mph, the bike hits a flatline, and yes it will go faster, but you'll be pushing it.

Remember it's only a 750 (making 40hp), and a cruiser at that, it's not built for speed, it's a "cruising bike" not a speeding ticket bike.

I learned that this year, it's not a performance bike, and it won't ever be, but it's great at what it does, and it does what it does best. I read in an article in a 750 shootout (a couple years back) that the Shadow ACE came first, but it was one of the least powerful of the 750's tested.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've had mine to 90. It will do more, but not much, especially pushing a windshield. And bucking a strong headwind WILL slow you down significantly. I have heard of some hitting a little over 100 in calm air.

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
ShadowRunner said:
I have a 2002 ACE 750 and going to Dallas other weekend, I hit strong headwinds (front blowing in) and with the throttle wide open, I was topping out at 80 mph. I could hit 90 going downhill. I do have a large windshield so the air blasting that was a slowdown, too, but what's the average top end speed one can expect out of a 750. Surely it can do more than that???????
ShadowRunner,
Is your 750 in its stock configuration? If so, that’s probably 90% of your problem! I have a few performance modifications on mine and although it's still no rocket, it'll easily do better than 80……….even pushing a strong head wind; even loaded down with luggage and carrying a passenger.

IMO, the 750 out of the factory is geared wrong, jetted wrong, piped wrong, choked of air at the intake; the spark advance is much too mild and the engine is held at bay by its rev-limiter. In other words, it’s a great little engine but it’s set up all wrong!

Change the final drive ratio, re-jet the carbs, install aftermarket (free breathing pipes) as well as massage the intake a bit, do the 4-degree timing mod, or better yet, install a Dyna-3000 ignition module. The Dyna module allows you to pick from 8 different timing advance curves; plus it lets you adjust the rev limiter in increments of 500 rpms. Do those things and you won't be asking why you're 750 hits that brick wall at 80 mph!
Phil

·
Registered
628 Posts
How strong is a "strong" headwind? If you're talking 10 - 20 mph, then yeah, you should do better than 80. But if it's blowing 40 to 60 mph, and you have a large windshield, topping out at 80 is not that unusual.

Doing the mods Phil mentioned will help, but it's still a 750 v-twin.

Phil, the point of installing a smaller rear sprocket is to lower the revs at interstate speeds. Then why would you want to increase the rev limiter? With a 37t rear sprocket, you'll never get close to hitting it, especially in the higher gears.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
ShadowRunner said:
Here we go again. It's a cruiser. It's not meant for top-end speed. V-Twin engines are built for loping along carrying weight and moving you around effortlessly at mediocre speeds. If you care about top-end speed, you're doing the wrong kind of riding on the wrong kind of bike with the wrong mindset.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick responses. NO, I'm no speed demon...I'm happiest riding the back rodes at 45 - 50 mps; however, I was on a PGR mission and we were trying to make up some lost time and get to the next staging area before the group left. I was getting left behind in the dust. When asked "where were you?" I let it be known I was going as fast as I could but was topping out at 80 because of the winds from the front blowing in. I'm pretty much a speed-limit-only person but there are times when you gotta "git 'er done".

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
shroomhead said:
With a 37t rear sprocket, you'll never get close to hitting it, especially in the higher gears.
shroom,
I guess my post was somewhat misleading. I didn't mean to imply that by raising the rev limiter it would help at the top end........
Raising the rev limiter helps when you're passing a car on the freeway and you want a few more revs before shifting into the next gear.

By adding the taller gearing (37tooth rear sprocket) it's easier to get those few more revs out of the engine in the lower gears. Your right though.......you'll never hit the rev limiter in fifth; probably not even in fourth.
Sorry for the misunderstanding! The main point I was trying to make was that IMO, Honda made some minor flubububs on the 750ACE that can easily be fixed by the owner with some simple modifications which in turn, make the the 750 more fun to ride.
Phil

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm not sure how much different the 750 ACE top speed is from the 750 AERO, but here is dyno chart from dynojet.com that shows a 2004 750 Aero that seems to top out around 93 mph. That could be actual mph and I would guess at an actual 93 mph the speedometer would show a little over 100 mph if the 750 speedometers are off as much as most motorcycle speedometers.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/1198.pdf

If you go to the dynojet.com site they have some charts for the 750 ACE, but they are in rpm instead of mph. http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/honda.aspx just find your bike and click on the corresponding PDF to get the chart.

·
Registered
884 Posts
When I had my '99 750 ACE (gave it to my father-in-law after the wreck & after I got my '06 Sabre), I could get it to top out at 105-107, without too much head wind. But, to do that, I had to put my feet up on the passenger pegs & lean forward to be completely behind the windshield. And, to hit anything above about 95 meant a slow acceleration (remember, it's got a flat spot at the top end). Now, put me into 25 mph head winds & have me in an upright position where my legs were in front/below me, then I was hitting 80 without too much problem but 85 was pushing it pretty hard. And, it didn't matter if I was 1 up or 2 up. And, I did replace the 41t sprocket with a 37, which gave me a little more top end, but no more power to get there. I did put a K&N air filter on her, which may (or may not) have helped. I didn't do the K&N for speed, but for my personal long-term ease. Yep, you've got a GREAT bike, but she doesn't have a strong top end or much power to hit the max speed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Speed

The ACE 750 varies speed a lot cause it is only a 750 cruser not crutch rocket. In spring strong head winds here in Canada i top at 80 mph too. I have V&H cruser pipes, rejet and K&N air filter and small windshield. But in no wind condition and flat road i hit 107 mph

Mind you that an 1100 or a 1500 will not go much faster, but wind or up hill will not affect them as much.

I have a vulcan 1500 classic now and my wife has the shadow, the vulcan toped at 110 mph, but were the 750 was going at 85mph up hill the 1500 is still going 110 mph

·
Registered
16 Posts
average top end speed 750

maybe this is a little off topic, but i can hit nearly 100 on my vlx which is rejetted, k&n air intake, and straight pipes, and it's only a 600 cc engine, but i am only 5'6" 150 lbs and no windshield.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: Speed

Bwadife said:
Mind you that an 1100 or a 1500 will not go much faster, but wind or up hill will not affect them as much.

Not true, my 1100 will do well over 100. I have had both bikes and the 1100 is way faster and sooo much a better bike. I wish I had never wasted time on the 750.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: Speed

m-skinny said:
Bwadife said:

Not true, my 1100 will do well over 100. I have had both bikes and the 1100 is way faster and sooo much a better bike. I wish I had never wasted time on the 750.
And, I feel exactly the opposite. My time on the ACE 750 gave me several things I'd not have had without it... An appreciation for the lightness & nimbleness of the 750, much quicker to maneuver than my 1100 Sabre. The Sabre is a heavier bike & has a smoother feel at highway speeds. The ACE 750 was a lot easier to simply hold up, while the Sabre is more diffficult. I'm glad I moved up to the Sabre 1100, but I'd always have been wondering how the 750 handled if I hadn't had it & wouldn't have as much appreciation for the finer qualities of the Sabre 1100 without having owned the ACE 750. But, that's just me. I like taking steps & knowing the differences in each level of my journey. My next bike will be bigger still, will probably be a full-fledged touring bike instead of a full-dressed cruiser, & I'll have even more appreciation for how I got there & the better (more refined) qualities of the next bike I'll own. This is just one rider's opinion.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Speed

David, feeling and numbers are 2 dif things.

The 1100 makes you feel going faster but in fact it might not be going that much faster, You have to look at the numbers on your speedo.

I rode the 3 : 750 ACE, toped at 107 / 108
1100 sabre toped at 115 / 118 (clean, no shield and stock)
1500 vulcan toped at 110
But going up hill, the Vulcan was ahead, then the sabre then the ACE

So 118 vs 108 is not much faster but the feeling at 118 is like if you are on a rocket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts