Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co worker has a 1994 Shadow VT600 VLX he bought new. It has 1,800 miles on it, but has been sitting for the last 16 years.

It is coral blue metallic with the white pearl inset. It has been stored inside a non heated pole barn and has its share of corrosion on the chrome. It can be brought back to life, but will by no means be a show bike.

It will need the usual from sitting; Tires, battery, carbs and tank cleaned, fluids changed, etc.

He said to make him an offer. My boy had a 2006 vlx600 and it was a blast to shoot around town on. Nice looking too.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
If it was running and in good condition about $1100. Just guessing you will have to put a few days labor and around $600 provided it has no electrical problems and the engine is not seized to get it back on the road safely.

Remove a spark plug from each cylinder and push the bike in gear to check if the engine is not seized.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
If it's not seized, I'd offer him $500.00 if it's got the title. You have a lot of work to do and a good chunk of change to spend. Obviously to the owner, it's no more than a piece of scrap sitting in his shed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
howdy, keep us up on the progress if you decide to go ahead. if it is the original owner he will have an inflated type view of its value. as has been said, bringing it back to life and daily usability will be quite a bit of labor and money. I expect i'll sound stupid for suggesting you don't try to start it without changing the oil and taking the plugs out and putting some top oil in and letting it sit a bit then moving it a bit in gear to oil up the cylinders. good luck on all that. it will probably need to be a labor of love.

ken

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
KBB says $1700 but that value is based on one in near excellent condition. As others have stated, it's going to be worth less based on the condition. You need to figure out what your out of pocket coast will be to get it running.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. I think $600 will be my top offer if the engine turns at all.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Good luck. If you go with the bike be sure to post up-dates as you go along giving her a new life.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Before you try and turn it over, squirt some oil in both cylinders and leave sparkplug out. Put the bike in 4th or 5th gear and try to push the bike instead of trying it with the starter. If the engine is free it should turn over by just pushing it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not just any oil, Marvel Mystery oil. No, im not kidding.

But, it sat for 16 years... IMHO its trash.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Check gas tank for rust. These things can rust out bad from sitting with a near empty tank. Shine a flashlight inside it and inspect it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Worth about $1500-$1700 if in good running condition. From what you described it could need whole new fuel system, tank, lines. Carbs can be cleaned. Can you do that yourself? You could easily spend over $1000 just to get it back to running. Could be less...could be more. If you want the bike as a project I would offer no more than $500.00.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Possibly, but reg oil sometimes is too thick and doesnt have the additives that MMO does.

Regular Coke works too, not an off brand.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
A co worker has a 1994 Shadow VT600 VLX he bought new. It has 1,800 miles on it, but has been sitting for the last 16 years.

It is coral blue metallic with the white pearl inset. It has been stored inside a non heated pole barn and has its share of corrosion on the chrome. It can be brought back to life, but will by no means be a show bike.

It will need the usual from sitting; Tires, battery, carbs and tank cleaned, fluids changed, etc.

He said to make him an offer. My boy had a 2006 vlx600 and it was a blast to shoot around town on. Nice looking too.
Offer him a few bucks over scrap value. At 16 years it doesn't matter if it was stored at the Taj Mahal, that's a long time to sit.
If he wants more, tell him maybe....if the engine turns over. Add the Marvel Mystery Oil, put it in neutral, get a wrench on the crankshaft and see if the engine moves. A compression check after turning the engine would be nice too.
I would do the bare minimum to see if it will run, then start replacing stuff.
Good luck.

·
Registered
18,127 Posts
I wonder, had it been cranked up any?
I didn`t buy mine to look at. Steve says..

Some call it their other addiction

Offer should coincide with what you think it is worth to you, considering all aspects

Keep us on the same page along with you,
Dennis

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the work would be done by me. I don't take anything to a shop. I thought it would be an interesting adventure working on a little 600.

The hardest part is going to be digging it out. The guy that has it is physically unable to do much and is an extreme hoarder.

I love the feeling of resurrecting something left for junk and then getting to ride it.:mrgreen:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts