Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Honda vt750c Shadow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put some clutch fluid in my bike and I'm not sure what kind to get. I have an 84 honda shadow 750. I was told to use dot3 or dot4 but I'd like to make sure.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Use DOT4. BTW, if you need to add fluid there is probably a leak in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
813 Posts
How can I find the leak
You have eyes, yes? Trace the line and look, another reason for fluid being low would be worn clutch discs letting the piston of the actuator extend further and thus requiring more fluid inside of the assembly as the piston extends.

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
84 Honda vt750c Shadow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have eyes, yes? Trace the line and look, another reason for fluid being low would be worn clutch discs letting the piston of the actuator extend further and thus requiring more fluid inside of the assembly as the piston extends.
I didnt see a leak in the hose. How can I find out if the clutch disks are worn?

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,666 Posts
DOT4 is backwards compatible with DOT3 systems.
Most bottles will actually say that in the fine print if not on the front label.

IIRC the main difference is an increase boiling point for fluid certified as DOT4.
That probably won't make a bit of difference for a clutch, but is an added bonus for brakes with a more direct heat path.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,144 Posts
One tip I learned many years ago. Buy the SMALLEST container of brake fluid you can, because it will go bad very quickly. Why? Because it will suck water right out of the assmosphere, and ruin the fluid over time as it sits on your workshop shelf once the seal is broken on the container you buy.

Don't buy it by the quart, gallon, barrel, or shipload.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,625 Posts
One tip I learned many years ago. Buy the SMALLEST container of brake fluid you can, because it will go bad very quickly. Why? Because it will suck water right out of the assmosphere, and ruin the fluid over time as it sits on your workshop shelf once the seal is broken on the container you buy.

Don't buy it by the quart, gallon, barrel, or shipload.
So what happens to it in our vehicle reservoirs? The bottle is sealed though with more air space but mine has always been pouring clear out of the bottle as I have been buying by the quart all my life and haven't "went up flames" yet. I would suggest one make sure its sealed properly. "assmosphere"? Coffee please. Don't feel bad the site has been a little funky today @ least on my end. Can't post a "smiley" or anything in the editing bar.

Reactions: Chuck_Michigan

·
Registered
271 Posts
LOL! It’s not the end of the world, especially on a bike like the shadow. Not enough weight and constant hard use to boil the fluid, even when ‘weakened’ by water absorption. Remember when people never changed their car’s brake fluid unless something failed? Years later? I‘ve got a few quart bottles of Dot4, and now one of Dot3! ;)

·
Registered
Honda shadow.2006
3 Posts
LOL! It’s not the end of the world, especially on a bike like the shadow. Not enough weight and constant hard use to boil the fluid, even when ‘weakened’ by water absorption. Remember when people never changed their car’s brake fluid unless something failed? Years later? I‘ve got a few quart bottles of Dot4, and now one of Dot3! ;)
Temp of the brake fluid has too do in the calaper.it gets dam hot..try going down a long hill..if your fluid turns into a gas .in your brake line it no longer works .you know why you have medel brake lines besides the pressure

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I guess this is one of those maintenance items and procedures we'll have to agree to disagree on, since it's pretty similar in nature to the 'which oil to use debates' common on all vehicle forums and discussion groups.

·
Registered
16,816 Posts
I need to put some clutch fluid in my bike and I'm not sure what kind to get. I have an 84 honda shadow 750. I was told to use dot3 or dot4 but I'd like to make sure.

I ain`t 100% on this, BUT >>>
I think I read somewhere DOT 3 & 4 are not compatable....... as in they do not mix well...

Therefore when I changed over to DOT 4 in my front brake, I emptied the system, flushed with 1/2 bottle of DOT 4, then put the cap back on...
BUT I DO generally go by what our Gurus tell me,
Dennis

Yeah, I`m considered one o` them

·
Registered
271 Posts
The calipers would be heating up, but not as much as a car’s. Plus, we have the added option of more easily downshifting to take some of the strain off the brakes.

Captain, you’re not supposed to ’mix’ the fluids, but you can in a pinch. DOT5 is the one that’s completely different. You would need to clean/flush the system completely before using it.

I’m not disagreeing, Chuck. It’s more like people that insist on changing their synthetic oil every 2-3000 miles. You can do that maintenance on that schedule, but it’s a waste. Never hurts to be proactive, though! Especially if you have a bigger bike where the brakes work harder to stop the extra weight.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I ain`t 100% on this, BUT >>>
I think I read somewhere DOT 3 & 4 are not compatable....... as in they do not mix well...

Therefore when I changed over to DOT 4 in my front brake, I emptied the system, flushed with 1/2 bottle of DOT 4, then put the cap back on...
BUT I DO generally go by what our Gurus tell me,
Dennis

Yeah, I`m considered one o` them
Actually, DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible. DOT 5 is the one that is not compatible.

·
Registered
16,816 Posts
Actually, DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible. DOT 5 is the one that is not compatible.

Yeah, OK, I take your word for it...
When I swapped, it didn`t hurt to flush the old DOT3 fluid from the system though...

Yeah, I`ve been known to add 10W40 to 10W30 in an engine when low too,
Dennis

Like Wrenchin` LOVE RIDING

1 - 20 of 21 Posts