Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting out and dont really want to spend a lot of money on my first bike, obviously. Ive been looking at the Shadow Ace Delux, AERO, Spirit and Sabre. My question is I am 6'1" and 238lbs. Will any of these be too small of a bike for me? Which ones will be best? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Any of the 1100's would work or you. I am 5' 8" and 195 and the Sabre is perfect for me. I also have 3" forward controls on my bike and really like the stretched out feel. If I were you, I would not go with anything smaller than the 1100.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I am the preverbal “fatbasterd” and the spirit 1100 is just perfect for me. It has nice road and parking lot manners, can pull a tonne and is virtually maintenance free. If it is a Honda and hauls your ass ( pardon the bun, I mean pun) it will be a good choice. :oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha awesome thanks guys. Any good sites to find used 1100 sabres or spirits? Also Im still much a newbie to motorcycle and want to start learning as much as possible before I begin even looking for one. I like the louder heavier sounding exhaust. Is there any in particular you could suggest that would suit those bikes well? I dont like anything quiet heh.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
There are two members here who have 1100's for sale: Spirit_1100 and chornbe. Go to the search function, search on their name and PM them. I'm not sure where you're located, but perhaps things will connect for you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Try browing here http://www.cycletrader.com/ for your area. Also recommend you take the MSF course and get your feet wet on bikes, it might help you decide. They provide the bikes for the course.
http://www.msf-usa.org/

MaddestHatter said:
Haha awesome thanks guys. Any good sites to find used 1100 sabres or spirits? Also Im still much a newbie to motorcycle and want to start learning as much as possible before I begin even looking for one. I like the louder heavier sounding exhaust. Is there any in particular you could suggest that would suit those bikes well? I dont like anything quiet heh.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: sillly

alien said:
it might sound silly, but I started on a shadow 1100, and if
I had it to do over, I'd get this:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/SV650K7/Default.aspx

only maybe a used one.
I'd completely discounted anything but a cruiser when I started, and
missed the Sport/Touring naked class altogether, The nakeds
are really fun and comfortable bikes....just something to think about.

alien
+1
That looks like a great starter bike. I'd do the same. They're pretty inexpensive used also. I've suggested to my son he look at that bike when he's ready to buy.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
MaddestHatter said:
If I may be so bold...

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40665

You didn't say where you are from...but I will work with you as much as possible to get the bike to you if you are interested in it.

Let me know.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I love my Spirit and I weigh in at about 210. Mine was purchased from the original owner with very low miles and only had to go 8 blocks to get it!There are alot of nice bikes out there, but just getting your feet wet the 1100 is a good choice IMHO. I plan on keeping mine until I wear the wheels off of it ;)

Buy one used, find out what you want in a bike, after a year or so trade it in on something bigger or a different class of bike if you feel the need for a change. Everyone has different likes/dislikes.

Looking in local swap sheets (credit unions sometimes have these), newspapers, ebay, or here on this forum are good places to start. You dont have to break the bank to get a good used ride.

Make sure to take a riding course! Very highly recommended.

Good luck with finding what you want!
Mark

·
Registered
225 Posts
if i had it do over again, i would have gotten an 1100.

i'm about your size, and i can tell already... i'm going to outgrow my ace 750 way too quickly.

however, the 750 is nice for my first bike, i won't cry too loudly if i drop it, and i can still overpower it if i have to.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My old man was almost 300lbs when he sold me his 1100. He had been in a wreck and the vibration of the v twin was too much for his healing wrist ( which is why he went and got a 1200 touring bike, not a wing... maybe a concorse??) The 1100 handled his weight with ease.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey, just a thought but does anyone else think that an 1100 might be too big as a first bike? Sure Maddest is a big guy, but I have a friend probably a little bigger who rides a Yamaha 600 (or 650?) cruiser and loves it! My thinking is that the extra weight and power might be too much for someone who's not ridden before.

Hey Maddest, I ride an ACE 750 deluxe and I can tell you it is a great bike. Depending on your riding style you may eventually find it too small and underpowered, but how often are ya gonna go 100mph anyway? With some forward controls or highway pegs you should have plenty of room to stretch, I would think the same thing applies to the Aero as well. But either way I'd suggest starting with a smaller bike and only after learning how to handle it moving up to something larger, more powerful, and harder to handle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm 6'0" weigh 217 and ride a 750 ACE Deluxe. I do mostly around town riding, but have taken the occasional highway jaunt. No problems at all for me. I don't think it's would be good to try 2 up on it, but really I've used the rule of no two up riding until I had a years worth of riding experience anyway.
Now that I've gotten some experience I ride two up with the kids around town which is fine. Haven't tried highway riding with them yet. Mommy isn't ready to let us do that yet.
Heck find a dealer that will let you sit on the bikes to get a good feel for them. Remember that changing control positions is possible with most bikes so if you find yourself thinking, "if only this was different," don't be afraid to change something. It's just like BMX bikes when we were kids. Tweak here...tweak there....make it your own!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow I did not expect such awesome feedback from everyone. I am very glad to know I chose a good site to do some research. With anything I spend more than a couple hundred bucks on I usually research in depth before I get started, reptiles, saltwater fish, motorcycles etc. I definitely have been eyeing craigslist. I love that site. Saw some really nice used honda shadows in my area for not too bad of a price. I will definitely be taking the riding course in my area. Cheapened insurance is nice. At this point financially just started a new job im not in the market to buy for probably a good while. I want to research every aspect of bikes and learn before I purchase. I was eyeing down the Shadow Ace Delux, Spirit 750 (VT750C2) AND DC. Sabres as well. I like the look and style. I originally wanted a harley sportster but those are way too small, and overrated. I looked into honda and my buddies dad owns a Shadow, great bike. I really appreciate the feedback everyone, it helps very much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts