Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike and it's also fuel injected.

Also how do I insert the nozzle? Do I put the nozzle all the way in and manage the flow of fuel so it doesn't splash or anything or have the nozzle up near the top of the hole? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
87 octane. I put it near the top and watch it. I never open up the nozzle full bore.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I agree with JPR: Use 87 (or refer to your owners manual) unless there is some knocking or pinging which would indicate carbon buildup or mechanical issue, however these engines are not prone to that problem. My engine has been using 87 E10 since 1995 and no issues. I do use Top Tier gasolines rather than a discounter. Use a fuel stabilizer if storing the bike for more than a few months.

My filling procedure is : get off the bike (just in case any fuel spills on hot cylinders). Place the metal fuel nozzle touching the top of the filler neck at an angle so you can see the flow and level. I also don't open the nozzle full like you do in a car. I usually put some in, take a look, put more in etc. I don't want any splashed on my tank so go slow and don't fill to the top. After a while you will get used to how much fuel you consume and how much will be replaced so you can judge by the meter and then slow down as you get close to full.

G.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Always a popular question (as is oil,lol) on motor cycle, car, or anything with an engine forum.....In my 2004 shadow and now in my 2017 Africa Twin....just use regular unleaded 87 octane and all is well.....no difference in anything. From what I have read, the best thing you can do is use gas from a reputable provider, such as those that use top tier gas https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

·
Registered
480 Posts
One thing to be careful of is when you are done filling the tank wait a second making sure all the gas came out then turn the nozzle slowly so the open end is facing up. Idea is not to drip gas all over your tank. It's not like a car you have to pay attention.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an 800 dollar repair bill as to why youy should avoid ethanol if possible. Erhanol enriched gas turns to varnish MUCH faster than pure gas. And, octane DOES make a small engine run cooler. Look it up.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I have an 800 dollar repair bill as to why youy should avoid ethanol if possible. Erhanol enriched gas turns to varnish MUCH faster than pure gas. And, octane DOES make a small engine run cooler. Look it up.
How does it make an engine run cooler? How much cooler does it run?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Notb ablotbcooler, but a little cooler. That's why the old Harley guys always ran premium. I honestly don't know why it works, but my chopper (750 DOHC) is air cooled, and I know I could tell a difference in the temperature coming from the valve covers.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Notb ablotbcooler, but a little cooler. That's why the old Harley guys always ran premium. I honestly don't know why it works, but my chopper (750 DOHC) is air cooled, and I know I could tell a difference in the temperature coming from the valve covers.
Harleys require Premium gas, as do most air cooled engines. Both my Victory and Harley do. That’s why we use it.

If you own a bike made after about 2005, ethanol will not affect you at all. Depending on the brand of bike, it could go back to the 90’s.

·
Registered
387 Posts
One thing to be careful of is when you are done filling the tank wait a second making sure all the gas came out then turn the nozzle slowly so the open end is facing up. Idea is not to drip gas all over your tank. It's not like a car you have to pay attention.
Additionally I add another coating of wax to my tank as added protection against gasoline drips.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I have an 800 dollar repair bill as to why youy should avoid ethanol if possible. Erhanol enriched gas turns to varnish MUCH faster.
As mentioned, I use E10, as mandated in Canada since 2010. However, I started using E10 (remember when it was called "gasohol"?) well before the government became involved:

My 78 GL1000 started using E10 in 1990 and my 1995 VT1100C2 has had E10 all its life. I mention the GoldWing because it has the most mileage at 400,000 km but I also had an Accord that used E10 for 300,000 km before I sold it. I also have a 2002 4hp Evinrude and a 2006 Honda lawnmower that use E10.

So I am very curious as to the 800 dollar repair and how it was linked to ethanol. Also, considering ethanol is a solvent how does it "varnish" faster than non-ethanol blended gasoline? In any case using a Top Tier E10 contains additional antioxidants that should minimize any fuel concerns.

G.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
A stock Shadow from the last 25 years should be perfectly happy with regular with no more than 10% ethanol.

I don't care about ethanol in my car's gas, but I keep it out of my bike when I can and always when I winter store it with conditioner added and a full tank.
Temperatures can get down to -25 Celcius or about -13 Fahrenheit in my shed.
Finding no ethanol gas is pretty easy around here as most premium in my part of Ontario, Canada is ethanol free and my bike gets premium due to engine changes anyway.

This article pretty well sums up my understanding of the situation, it is aimed at boats, but bikes can be a lot like boats, although I tell my wife that isn't true. (-;

·
Registered
387 Posts
For the fist time I ran 87 octane in my 2015 Shadow and detected no difference in performance from the 92 (or 93) octane stuff. The motor seemed to run just fine. Occasionally I'll add some Sta-Bil Marine 360 to the fuel for water removal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 800 dollar repair bill was due to the PO letting ethanol sit in the bike. It destroyed the diaphragms (shredded them) as well as the fuel pump. I tried putting aftermarket diaphragms in, but they wouldn't seat properly because the were folded over in the package.Ethanol goes bad in a couple of months, whereas pure gasoline lasts years,.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
What does your owners manual say to run?

I ran 91 in my 750 and when I got my VTX I was using it in that too. I did some reading and many owners reported that the 87 was better for the bike. I tried it and honestly the bike ran smoother and seemed to have less heat coming off the pipe.

As I live in Canada and have to put the bike up for a few months, I start running 91 when I’m close to storage time. Usually the last 2 fill ups. I do this because the 91 is ethanol free.

The ethanol in the 87 won’t hurt the bike as long as you are running it through. It’s bad when it sits for long periods.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I know many in the USA think the premium gas is ethanol free, but thats not the case. Interesting to see Shell in Canada,that the premiumis ethanol free https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/my-fuels/shell-v-power-nitro-plus-premium-gasoline.html#vanity-aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2hlbGwuY2EvZW4vcHJvZHVjdHMtc2VydmljZXMvc2hlbGwtZm9yLWRyaXZlcnMvZnVlbHMvc2hlbGwtdnBvd2VyL2ZhcS5odG1s
Not just Shell, most here are, but you need to check it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I know many in the USA think the premium gas is ethanol free, but thats not the case. Interesting to see Shell in Canada,that the premiumis ethanol free https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/my-fuels/shell-v-power-nitro-plus-premium-gasoline.html#vanity-aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2hlbGwuY2EvZW4vcHJvZHVjdHMtc2VydmljZXMvc2hlbGwtZm9yLWRyaXZlcnMvZnVlbHMvc2hlbGwtdnBvd2VyL2ZhcS5odG1s
I’ve never thought that. Didn’t know anyone did.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts