Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
...........................As far as gas sitting in the UST: most stations/c-stores are sized based on traffic patterns so that the UST will need refilling within a week unless the pump is in a very remote area or normal traffic has been disrupted ie construction.

G.
"UST"????

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree that for short term storage 3-4 months, you likely don't need a fuel stabilizer, however many of us store bikes for longer periods. I have several vehicles that get stored for between 7 and 8 months. The cost of dosing my VT1100C2 with Stabil for up to a year is $2 so its a fairly inexpensive insurance.

The 2 main problems with seasonal storage of gas in the tank are oxidation causing gumming and the lowering of octane rating as the lighter hydrocarbons evaporate. A fuel stabilizer will reduce the oxidation. As mentioned I have been using E10 for the entire life of my 1995 VT1100C2 and it has been stored 7 months a year for 24 years with no fuel/carb issues and the engine starts well every April/May.

What I do for storage is take the vehicle and the $2 of stabilizer to a Top Tier gas station. Dump in the stabilizer, fill the tank and ride home. My trip home is a quarter mile but if farther I would take a spare tank to be used to top up at home. I usually use 87 E10, however for storage I fill with 91 E10. That way I have no concerns about reduced octane, oxidation or moisture from condensation. Coming out of storage I use up about half the tank and then top up with 89 E10 after which its back to 87.

As far as gas sitting in the UST (underground storage tank): most stations/c-stores tanks are sized based on traffic patterns so that the UST will need refilling within a week unless in an extremely remote area or normal traffic has been disrupted ie street paving etc.

G.
Used to do the same thing,
I have to respectfuly disagree about the need for some sort of additive for storage of ethanol laced fuel. I have read too many articles that all point to 90 to 100 days before the fuel starts to breakdown. With ethanol free, I agree about the longer time period of 'freshness' for lack of a better term. It's best to ride when there is even the smallest window of opportunity, but my old ass chills too quickly anymore.
My comments should have been noted to only apply to Ethanol free, as that is all that I run.

Ethanol added regular fuels are bullshit, E85 and E100 have their uses in pure race form the same as methanol does IMO but I personally think that ethanol should not be mixed into consumer fuel. When I ride locally if I can help it I only fuel my shadow at stations that have a separate Ethanol free pump nozzle, I don't want to risk the hoses and pipe leading from the tank having ethanol laced fuel in them. Luckily I live smack in the middle of a huge chunk of Ethanol free 91 only pumps.

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Used to do the same thing,

My comments should have been noted to only apply to Ethanol free, as that is all that I run.

Ethanol added regular fuels are bullshit, E85 and E100 have their uses in pure race form the same as methanol does IMO but I personally think that ethanol should not be mixed into consumer fuel. When I ride locally if I can help it I only fuel my shadow at stations that have a separate Ethanol free pump nozzle, I don't want to risk the hoses and pipe leading from the tank having ethanol laced fuel in them. Luckily I live smack in the middle of a huge chunk of Ethanol free 91 only pumps.
Lucky you having access to E free gas. I think a forum member posted this website that lists E free stations a while ago. Nothing in my backyard, but there are some in places I travel to and I will make more of an effort to plan E free gas stops next year. It gives a 'last updated' date for each gas station, so you get an idea of which may have shut down.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
$2.42 a gallon by me for E10 87 octane.

$4.00 a gallon for 90 octane alcohol free.

No thank you.... :)
Ouch...$4.00!!! I realize higher octane = higher price, but that hurts.

Don't know about your bike, but my VStar runs like crap on anything at / over 90 octane. 87 is best, and I'll use 89 if that's all that is available, but nothing higher.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can still get 87 octane non-ethanol, or 91 pure if I wanted it. I just run the pure 87 grade and I end up paying about 30 cents more per gallon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lucky you having access to E free gas. I think a forum member posted this website that lists E free stations a while ago. Nothing in my backyard, but there are some in places I travel to and I will make more of an effort to plan E free gas stops next year. It gives a 'last updated' date for each gas station, so you get an idea of which may have shut down.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA
Ethanol free 91 is usually $.30 to $.50 more expensive per gallon than premium here, I don't mind the extra cost I'm kind of used to it the last three cars I owned only ran on Premium and I just went that extra mile and used Ethanol free. Maverik fuel stations near me have entirely separate pump nozzles and hoses for the ethanol free stuff so you don't even risk contamination from what may have already been in the lines of the pump before you arrived and with that in mind I will continue to pay up for it, the bike is tuned for it so it won't even really run on E10 87 anyway.

$2.42 a gallon by me for E10 87 octane.

$4.00 a gallon for 90 octane alcohol free.

No thank you.... :)
Lol they're just raping for raping sake, that's terrible. 87 E10 regular is $2.87 here right now, Ethanol free 91+ is $3.47 currently. I pay it gladly.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Ethanol free 91 is usually $.30 to $.50 more expensive per gallon than premium here, I don't mind the extra cost I'm kind of used to it the last three cars I owned only ran on Premium and I just went that extra mile and used Ethanol free. Maverik fuel stations near me have entirely separate pump nozzles and hoses for the ethanol free stuff so you don't even risk contamination from what may have already been in the lines of the pump before you arrived and with that in mind I will continue to pay up for it, the bike is tuned for it so it won't even really run on E10 87 anyway.
How did you tune your bike for 91 octane?

·
Registered
119 Posts
How did you tune your bike for 91 octane?
A lot of pain in the ass jetting changes, timing advancing and plug reading. I went as far with the advance as you can, even going so far as to grind a bit in the case and measure with a degree wheel. Pings real bad with 87 in it.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
A few bucks more for the gas you want? Ain’t like its thousands lol. Y’all bitching about less than $10 is hilarious.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts