Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there y'all, I'm new a new rider and I got a 2002 Honda shadow spirit 750. I'm wanting to do my oil change soon, and have looked in the manual to find the oil type, but can't find anything about the oil filter. The only thing it says, "use only Honda genuine oil filter or a filter of equivalent quality specified for your model." Could y'all point me in the right direction?
Automotive tire Font Parallel Circle Auto part

Thanks!

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,791 Posts
I have a 2013 750 Phantom and have used Bosch 3300 filter but now exclusively use Honda OEM filter 15410-MFJ-D01.

If you are unsure you can go to one of the OEM parts sellers, Partzilla is one. They have parts diagrams that show you all the parts for your bike and give the factory part number. All that is left is to order the part from them or search the factory part number online to cross to one you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
251 Posts
The OEM filters are available, easily sourced, and inexpensive. Same goes for the OEM GN4 oil.
Because of that, I can't see a reason to use anything else.
Any online retailer has fair prices: RevZilla, Partzilla, Amazon, even Walmart.

Oh, and check your air filter, too. Mine was ATROCIOUS. I ordered an OEM one at the same time as my oil and filter.

· Registered
2009 VT750C2 Spirit, 2012 VT750C Aero, 2014 CB1100
71 Posts
I have a 2013 750 Phantom and have used Bosch 3300 filter but now exclusively use Honda OEM filter 15410-MFJ-D01.
The Bosch 3300 had a slight design change and no longer works on Honda motorcycles. Fortunately I can still use them in my car...

On my Shadows I've had good luck with the Supertech ST6607 from Walmart. Cheap and good. I change my oil and filter every 4K miles or annually, whichever comes first.

The Fram PH6017a will also fit but they cost more. The PH6017a has a silicone drainback valve, so better under high temps. I use those on my air/oil cooled CB1100.

The Shadows are liquid cooled and not particularly hard on the oil or filter. There are a bunch of "cut open" videos on YouTube that show the Supertech filters in a positive light.

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,843 Posts
I have used Fram, Supertech, Purolater, etc depending on what was convenient and found absolutely no difference or problem. I now have several Hondas so decided to stock up on Honda filters. In any case, don't forget to buy the crush washer for the oil drain bolt.

Similar story with oil. I used many different brands and now when I buy the filter, I buy the Honda oil.

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,497 Posts
Instead buying aluminum crush washers, buy 14mm copper variant from your local auto parts store. I've seen 1st. hand what happens to used/over tighten aluminum variant. As for filter, I've been using Bosch 3323 long filter on the 1100 Spirit and the Valk. Supertech is also readily available at Walmart. Fram, no way.

The Bosch 3300 had a slight design change and no longer works on Honda motorcycles. Fortunately I can still use them in my car.
So inquisitive mind's need to know.

· Registered
251 Posts
Instead buying aluminum crush washers, buy 14mm copper variant from your local auto parts store.
I buy the aluminum crush washers by the bags and keep them in the top of my toolbox. They're only like $1 each, and there are only two main sizes, 14 and 18mm. I simply keep a stash, and when I notice I'm getting down to just a couple left, order another baggie as they're good for cars and bikes.

· Registered
10,497 Posts
I've used the copper variant for 6 changes (65,000 mi.) on the Valk and 1100 Spirit and no issues with leaks. As I mentioned I already experienced what the aluminum variant can do if reused/abused. Not worth the possibility of failure compared to the copper variant. Not everybody has the finesse needed to use factory "crush washers" properly. Aluminum reacts more to heat expansion and cooling thus the possibility of loosening.

We have many new riders with little or no experience in mechanical "feel"/tools etc. I own torque wrenches but I don't use them to do a simple oil change ever in 50 yrs. Never seen a washer used either but do to design/material, I see the use for one on a MC.

· Registered
10,497 Posts
And I don't. And if I followed MOM's advice I would use a torque wrench on these less superior washers but.... It's just a oddity why Honda use these other than selling more parts perspective. BTW they use copper washers for sealing the fork pipe bolts, brake lines, etc. So why? I assume failure was a thought in the engineering process but not concerning your bikes engine oil? :unsure:

· Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
616 Posts
A lot of advice here from some seasoned riders! And @theblooms mentions the air filter also. Between the forum members advice and the websites mentioned you'll be able o get what is right for your bike.

I tend to order online because my local autoparts stores do not carry GN4 oil, they're hit or miss for the oil filter and do not carry the air filter. That said, my .02 is to buy 2 of each. That way when your next oil change comes around you'll already have the materials. It's at that point I'll reorder so I'll be good to go for the next and so on...

· Registered
251 Posts
BTW they use copper washers for sealing the fork pipe bolts, brake lines, etc. So why?
Because you don't unfasten those for routine maintenance. Those only come apart when major maintenance is being done, and even then, I'd still replace those copper gaskets as well when taking it apart.

I just make a habit to never reuse a gasket.

· Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
650 Posts
Hi there y'all, I'm new a new rider and I got a 2002 Honda shadow spirit 750. I'm wanting to do my oil change soon, and have looked in the manual to find the oil type, but can't find anything about the oil filter. The only thing it says, "use only Honda genuine oil filter or a filter of equivalent quality specified for your model." Could y'all point me in the right direction?
View attachment 306378
Thanks!
Here's a comprehensive list of filters that fit our bikes. (Section - 5)
I've used the K&N and currently have a factory Honda filter in use.

Default length is the shorter 2.5" filter. The longer 3.25" won't fit under my '97 1100, but if it did I'd use it for the extra filtering area:

· Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,965 Posts
I've used a 14mm copper drain plug washer for at least a dozen oil changes on my 750 ACE, a lot less hassle.
I've used a bunch of diffferent filters, it has one of the Fram high mileage filters meant for a Subaru on it now, after the first warm-up in the Spring it is getting a HiFlo Racing filter 'cause that what I have.
Lubricating Juices are going to be Rotella T4 15w-40 because I'm still working on the big jug.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
HONDA GN4 10W-40 Oil & NAPA Pro select 21365 filter, is my "drug of choice" when I change oil...
Has been since "day one" at 40,000 miles...
She is where I parked with 77,000 showing for the "second go `round"...

No complaints,
Dennis

1998 750 ACE

· Registered
2009 VT750C2 Spirit, 2012 VT750C Aero, 2014 CB1100
71 Posts
So inquisitive mind's need to know.
If you mean, how come the Bosch 3300 no longer works for Honda motorcycles, it's because Bosch changed the shape of the baseplate, so the plate with the drain holes contacts the metal on the engine face, inhibiting a proper seal.

I'm not 100% sure if this is a problem on the Shadows, but it definitely is on the CB1100.

On the CB1100 forum there are several people who experienced leaking from the Bosch filter seal because it couldn't seat all the way down the threads.

As I stated before, I use the Fram PH6017A with the silicone drainback valve on my CB1100. $6.50 each.

The ST6607 seem to work well on my Shadows and they're only $3 each. Lots of Goldwing riders use the ST6607 too. It's a perfectly good filter, and made in the USA too.

If my Honda dealer didn't charge $20 for a Chinese made Honda filter, I would not have bothered looking for alternatives. I suppose I should thank them for showing me the light! 😉🍀

1 - 20 of 29 Posts