Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Sissy Bar and saddlebag supports for my 01' ACE 750. Neither one has bolts with it. What size bolts to I need to get and where can I get them? Is there a nut inside the fender? I realize that I could just go out to the bike and look but I am at work right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Re: What Parts do I need??

CBOLLING said:
I just purchased a Sissy Bar and saddlebag supports for my 01' ACE 750. Neither one has bolts with it. What size bolts to I need to get and where can I get them? Is there a nut inside the fender? I realize that I could just go out to the bike and look but I am at work right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
There is a nut on the inside of the fender.

Here is the microfiche page for your rear fender...

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0381/rear_fender/rear_fender.cfm?man=ho&groupid=12360&parent=12320

(Hopefully it works).

It shows that both bolts are 8mm but the rear most one is 35mm long...the second to last is 30mm long. You need to measure the thickness of the backrest bracket to determine how much longer you need them...then go to a hardware store and get longer bolts. Do not go much longer than the added thickness of the backrest or you could scrap the bolts with the tire when you "bottom" out the suspension.

I do not have an answer about your supports...I am not familiar with how they mount. They may mount to the same bolts...which will mean that you will have to make those bolts a little longer to handle the extra thickness of the supports.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Dragoon said:
Joe knows :lol: :lol:
Joe don't know...he is just a really good guesser.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
so far, a good guesser.

Cheers Joe, youve done wel by me so I have faith.

Paul

·
Registered
76 Posts
bolts on fender

Dont mean to nose in on this thread but i have a question that will stem off the original post......
I have a 99 750 ACE and the last bolt on either side of the rear fender wont thread in. It will go through the chrome side piece and the sissy bar attatchment but wont thread through the nut that is on the inside of the fender. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Re: bolts on fender

cactus said:
Dont mean to nose in on this thread but i have a question that will stem off the original post......
I have a 99 750 ACE and the last bolt on either side of the rear fender wont thread in. It will go through the chrome side piece and the sissy bar attatchment but wont thread through the nut that is on the inside of the fender. Any thoughts??
Did you replace the bolts with longer ones or are you using the stock bolts?

If you replaced the bolts...are you sure they are the correct size? They should be 8mm. If you are trying to use a standard bolt in a metric nut...it won't go.

When you say it won't thread in...do you mean it starts but stops...or does it just spin?

Let me know and I will try to help.

Joe

·
Registered
423 Posts
There are two different sizes used: 8mm-1.25 and 10mm-1.25 both are fine thread. The 8mm are easy to find in chrome or stainless, the 10mm however are more difficult. The 10mm are the front ones in the fender rail, the other two are the 8mm. I don't know if your saddlebag supports are like the ones I used on my wife's ACE or not, but they attached to the front and rear-most bolt locations.

http://www.boltdepot.com

http://207.126.53.131/swcart/shop.cgi/page=test1.htm/SID=1169620338.991

These are two vendors that I have used. I also have another bookmarked on my computer at home, but I'm presently at work. If you want me to provide the link to the 3rd one, just holler!

Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
sissy bar bolt

Spirit:
I bought the bolts straight from the honda dealership. They are the right match and length.
The bolt on the last hole on both sides of the fender just turns without going into the nut that is attached to the fender. I thought it was the bolt but i have tried the bolt in the middle hole of the fender and it screws right in. It almost seems that the nut inside the fender is stripped. I took the bike to the honda dealership and even they were unable to get the bolts in.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Re: sissy bar bolt

cactus said:
Spirit:
I bought the bolts straight from the honda dealership. They are the right match and length.
The bolt on the last hole on both sides of the fender just turns without going into the nut that is attached to the fender. I thought it was the bolt but i have tried the bolt in the middle hole of the fender and it screws right in. It almost seems that the nut inside the fender is stripped. I took the bike to the honda dealership and even they were unable to get the bolts in.
Have you tried putting one of the old bolts into the nut? Or a different one from the ones you got from the dealership? It is possible that you have the wrong size or thread pattern. Yeah, you would think that the dealership would know, but there are plenty of people here, including myself, that wouldn't trust a dealership any farther than we could throw them.

If nothing else works...you can get a tap to clean the threads on the nut. Take the old bolt from the last holes and the new bolt from the dealer to your local hardware store. Start out in the nut/bolt isle by looking for a nut that will fit the bolts. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot, they have a set of drawers that has the metric stuff in it. Once you have the correct size nut, go to the tool isle and find the metric tap that matches the nut.

The other reason to take both the new and old ones is to make sure they are the same size/thread pattern. I think you are going to find that the back two bolts are a different size than what the dealership provided you.

Joe

·
Registered
76 Posts
bolts

Spirit:
Took your advise on trying other screws....heres what i found..

The middle screws for the back fender which would hold the front part of the sissy bracket on do not go into the last hole of the fender but the new bolts i got fromn the dealership fit in the middle hole...although they were a little shoter than the other bolts, they worked. The dealership guy(aka Expert) said the nuts that are in the fender are all the same size thread. He also mentioned something about a "tap". What exactly is a "tap"? I didnt want to ask the "expert" , he was too busy trying to find someone to cover him so he could go on break.
Plus, I feel more people on this site have alot more "field Training" and would have more knowledge on this type of stuff.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Re: bolts

cactus said:
Spirit:
Took your advise on trying other screws....heres what i found..

The middle screws for the back fender which would hold the front part of the sissy bracket on do not go into the last hole of the fender but the new bolts i got fromn the dealership fit in the middle hole...although they were a little shoter than the other bolts, they worked. The dealership guy(aka Expert) said the nuts that are in the fender are all the same size thread. He also mentioned something about a "tap". What exactly is a "tap"? I didnt want to ask the "expert" , he was too busy trying to find someone to cover him so he could go on break.
Plus, I feel more people on this site have alot more "field Training" and would have more knowledge on this type of stuff.
You do not want to tap the nuts to a different size. You want to find the right bolts to use. Take the old ones that fit in the back holes to the hardware store and get two new bolts the right size.

A tap is used to cut threads (or chase the threads) in a hole to match a set thread pattern/size.

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00952843000

The one on the left is the tap.

Bottom line...get the right bolts for the job. Lowes or Home Depot will have them.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I messed up. I am trying to install saddlebag brackets and a Sissy bar at the same time. I went to Lowe's and bought M8-1.00 x 40 bolts to use to replace the back two bolts on each side. Like an idiot I didn't compare the threads before I put the new one in. (trying to do too many things and use all 6 of my hands at the same time before it got dark). The middle bolt on the left side started to get hard to put in and I kept cranking on the ratchet. Eventually I could not turn it anymore. So I pulled it back out and the threads were messed up. I tried to put the original back in an messed those threads up too. Now what? Do I need to buy a tap? I have never used one before. I would not really know what to buy or how to use it. I think the bolts are welded onto the inside of the fender.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Cbolling,

Did you check the size of the original bolt to know it was a 8-1.25mm?

Yes, you will want to buy a tap the right size then thread it into the nut in your fender. How far did you get the bolt into the fender? Less than 1/2 way? There is a chance that you have messed up completely and will have to put a helicoil in there. Basically with a helicoil, you drill a hole in the nut with the supplied drill bit (sized to work with the helicoil insert). Then tap the hole with the supplied tap. Then insert the helicoil into the threaded hole.

You can then insert the 8-1.25 bolts into the hole.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Well, there is a special wrench that holds the tap...but you really don't need it. You can use a small adjustable wrench to turn the tap...but you have to pay special attention to how it is started. If possible, you may want to run the tap through from the back side of the fender. That way, the threads that are not messed up will help guide the tap while cleaning out the bad threads. This will also help keep the tap straight for you.

You do not need to run a drill through the hole first. It will no help you.

I would still take the original bolt with you and see if they can size it for you where ever you get the tap.

Joe

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I take it then that you don't have a lift?? :D

Now that I think about it more...you really do want to tap that from the inside to make sure that you don't cross thread the original threads.

As for taking the rear wheel off...that is the easy part. Lifting the bike up is the hard part. :D You can do it without a lift...but it sure does help to have one. Sounds like a really good reason to buy one. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts