Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try and never come on here and complain or bitch, so please allow me this one time to unload.

Yesterday, on our ride to the Harley dealer for lunch with 5 other bikers I had a cager cut in front of me at a traffic light ( just before I stopped ) and broke our formation. This guy came close to clipping the back end of the trike that was leading our group. We were just coming to a stop light when this guy swings into the spot ahead of me. ( I didn't know I had to ride so tight to keep cagers from cutting into our formations ).

On the way back, this time in a formation of 7 bikes a cager cut into the formation in front of my wife and swept across 2 lanes like she was running in the Daytona 500. Luckily my wife was paying close attention and seen her head do a quick check in her mirror indicating she " maybe " moving right. She did and my wife jumped on her brakes just as the woman turned right, splitting the formation, going between my wife and the back of my bike. She then proceeded to make another lane change.

Now here is the clincher. BOTH drivers in BOTH cases were on their cell phones. Do these cagers NOT understand to wait and not break a formation of bikers ? Can they not see a group of bikers riding together ? What the hell is the matter with people in car's ?

It just irk's the hell out of me or am I being to thin skinned .

Chris

· Registered
50 Posts
It is great to see that there were no collisions while your group was riding. This same situation happened to myself and what can you do.

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I were riding through town and this person passed us on the right. Thing was we're in a single lane. Close riding. This person continued on for about 400 yards then made a left hand turn. It just goes to show that you can not relax your focus on your surroundings when riding.

· Banned
4,110 Posts
No, you're not being thin skinned. These drivers should be cited for reckless and aggressive driving, negligence, etc.

Oh wait... if forgot... we don't need more laws. Or enforcement. We're supposed to wait for these people to see the light and take responsibility for their own actions.

Ya know... it actually *is* possible for *you* to prosecute for the same things a cop can write the average ticket for. The difference is, basically, the cop has the right to stop you and write the ticket without witnesses. If you have witnesses and get the information and vehicle/driver information, you can actually go to court and have them cited. It's just a whole lot more legwork than the cops need to do... or than many feel is necessary.

· Registered
50 Posts
It is great to see that there were no collisions while your group was riding. This same situation happened to myself and what can you do.

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I were riding through town and this person passed us on the right. Thing was we're in a single lane. Close riding. This person continued on for about 400 yards then made a left hand turn. It just goes to show that you can not relax your focus on your surroundings when riding.

G

·
One needs to remember that these types of people have cut of funeral processions, police officers , ambulances and fire truck too, ignoring basic respect in some cases and ignoring an emergencey situation in others.

Sadly they will always be with us , so let's be carful out there.

· Registered
94 Posts
I am going to play devils advocate here by saying that I don't think there is a law preventing a vehicle from going through a bike formation. Say there is a formation of fifty bikes all using the stagger formation and following the two second rule, that takes up a lot of highway. What happens if said formation is going to prevent you from getting to your exit lane? Just because there is a group of bikes it does not give them any special breaks, if you watch when cars are cutting in and out of lanes they are not leaving a whole lot of space but it is not as noticable because they have a cage surrounding them. This is one of the many reasons I will not ride in a group of more then two or three. As far as cel phone use goings that is a whole different ball game. I think they should be outlawed in vehicles unless the vehicle is pulled over to the side of the road and not moving period. As far as I am concerned they are more dangerious then a drunk behind the wheel.

G

·
halfcent said:
I am going to play devils advocate here by saying that I don't think there is a law preventing a vehicle from going through a bike formation. Say there is a formation of fifty bikes all using the stagger formation and following the two second rule, that takes up a lot of highway. What happens if said formation is going to prevent you from getting to your exit lane? Just because there is a group of bikes it does not give them any special breaks, if you watch when cars are cutting in and out of lanes they are not leaving a whole lot of space but it is not as noticable because they have a cage surrounding them. This is one of the many reasons I will not ride in a group of more then two or three. As far as cel phone use goings that is a whole different ball game. I think they should be outlawed in vehicles unless the vehicle is pulled over to the side of the road and not moving period. As far as I am concerned they are more dangerious then a drunk behind the wheel.
nope but the basic law of yielding right of way still applies. If you cannot merge into traffic safely then do not do it, if you are too impatient to do so then stop driving. Actually the biggest complaint I have with people cutting me off, is not that they did so but rather that they then crawl along instead of getting up to speed.

As far as cell phones in cars, why should I be banned from using one because Joe Schmoe does not have the mental capacity to use one and be aware at the same time?

· Banned
4,110 Posts
CrazyDave said:
nope but the basic law of yielding right of way still applies. If you cannot merge into traffic safely then do not do it, if you are too impatient to do so then stop driving. Actually the biggest complaint I have with people cutting me off, is not that they did so but rather that they then crawl along instead of getting up to speed.

As far as cell phones in cars, why should I be banned from using one because Joe Schmoe does not have the mental capacity to use one and be aware at the same time?
Because the road laws *have* to be applied to the lowest common denominator. All laws, really.

· Registered
542 Posts
Similar thing happened last weekend on The "Ride for Zoie", a 3 y.o. cancer victim. About a 20 bike formation was nearing a well known, well marked 2 to 1 lane squeeze down. A big black Chevy suv decides at the last 1/4 mile or so that we aren't traveling fast enough for her {I guess} and flys up about halfway through the line and forces her way in. WTF!!! The rest of the line lets her pass by pulling over, for God's sake we are going on a poker run, not entering the Daytona 200! After all that not even 2 miles up the road she turns off!! WTF again!! Poeple are idiots!

Chris, I'm guessing that your incident happened on US19! That road is horrible for bad driving.

· Registered
3,303 Posts
ALL laws were created due to the idiots who made them necessary... speed limits would not exist if not for the morons who think they can drive faster than their skill allows.

Drunk Driving laws... due to drunk drivers...

Rape.
Murder.
Littering.
Assault.
Jaywalking...

None of the laws we have are created to limit anyone's freedom... they're created to protect us from those who lack the common sense to self regulate. Unfortunately, it means the rest of us feel like we're being "picked on".
Don't blame the lawmakers...blame the ****wit next to you that feels his "freedom" allows him to act like an ******* all the time.

· Registered
3,303 Posts
and I'll say it again... a driver on a cellphone, no matter how "good at it" they are, is still a cellphone away from the better, more attentive driver they would be without it.

· Registered
81 Posts
Christopher said:
I try and never come on here and complain or bitch, so please allow me this one time to unload.

Yesterday, on our ride to the Harley dealer for lunch with 5 other bikers I had a cager cut in front of me at a traffic light ( just before I stopped ) and broke our formation. This guy came close to clipping the back end of the trike that was leading our group. We were just coming to a stop light when this guy swings into the spot ahead of me. ( I didn't know I had to ride so tight to keep cagers from cutting into our formations ).

People driving cages have apparently never driven formation. Therefore have no idea or concept of what formation is or what function it plays in motor transportation. Darwin and I both recently posted similar subjects about cagers and their cell phones.....I am glad that you and your wife are still with us and @@ck the politically correct genre of this post for there [email protected]@t verbage.
Glad you mad it OK!!!!!!!

· Registered
37 Posts
Happened to me twice last night...
One cage turning right at an intersection almost broadsided me while I was slowing down to enter a fuel station. Horn, hand and his brakes saved the night. WHEW!

Then...Had a Honda Civic who liked my front end so much she tried to install it into her truck. Crossed two lanes of traffic to do so. Again, horn and evasive maneuver kept me up and alive.

I was solo but prepared for this type of gauntlet riding since cars just aren't ready for motorcycles yet! At least the ride home was uneventful!

I don't think you are overreacting. Like Dave said, "they will always be with us".

· Registered
710 Posts
Glad you're OK.
Don't take it personal, I figure these people just drive like that & could care less who they cut off. They cut me off all the time in the cage. So when I'm on the bike, I try to ride expecting them to do it to me.
Unfortunately, I'm usually not disappointed. :cry:

· Registered
799 Posts
CrazyDave said:
One needs to remember that these types of people have cut of funeral processions, police officers , ambulances and fire truck too, ignoring basic respect in some cases and ignoring an ...emergencey situation in others.

Sadly they will always be with us , so let's be carful out there.
thats the truth CD...............boils down to there will always be drivers who have no regard and motorcyclists who will pay for the thoughtless actions of them............ ride like your life depends on it cause it does.........

· Banned
4,110 Posts
rat said:
ALL laws were created due to the idiots who made them necessary... speed limits would not exist if not for the morons who think they can drive faster than their skill allows.

Drunk Driving laws... due to drunk drivers...

Rape.
Murder.
Littering.
Assault.
Jaywalking...

None of the laws we have are created to limit anyone's freedom... they're created to protect us from those who lack the common sense to self regulate. Unfortunately, it means the rest of us feel like we're being "picked on".
Don't blame the lawmakers...blame the ****wit next to you that feels his "freedom" allows him to act like an ******* all the time.
+1 and then some.

· Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
While I understand that there is no law that say you cannot cut into a biker formation, I still think its inconsiderate, dangerous and assinine. I was lucky the first time as there was some room between me and the leader. My wife was very lucky as she anticipated the woman turning into the formation and backed off and missed her.

I just do not understand people these days, but I do know that the more I know about people, the more I love my dog. :)

Thanks everyone for your input. Please be safe out there and expect the unexpected. I guess I myself need to remember that every time I get on my bike there is jerk out there who is going to come along and try and ruin my day for me.

Ok. Back to life and riding. Thanks for letting me vent.

Chris

· Registered
171 Posts
Christopher said:
I just do not understand people these days, but I do know that the more I know about people, the more I love my dog. :)
+1
Ok. Back to life and riding. Thanks for letting me vent.

Chris
Chris, you might be one of least bitchinest people on this forum. I say, vent when you need to. Any lessons a squid like me can take from this? Watch for the cager head/mirror check?[/quote]

· Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Kolonial. I try to be a good member and reflect a positive attitude towards everyone. But I guess I was PO'ed over this incident and the total disregard some people have for bikers.

It is true, allot of times if you watch cagers carefully they will telegraph their next move. The one problem with that though is not all these dummies do what we think they are going to do and surprise us. Still, I try and watch to see which direction their head/ shoulders are turning, if they are holding a cell phone, etc. I also stay completely out of their blind spots. I wont next to a car for more then a minute before I either stab the throttle to get ahead of them or back off so I am behind them so if they do cut over, I am NOT there.

Thanks again for your nice comment. I try and not bitch or complain or get into any heavy politically correct debates here on the forum. I learned in the Marine Corp that if you bitch, someone would normally find a way to give you something to bitch or complain about. And it was never fun when they did. :)

Chris

P.S. These cagers who run over bikers reminds me of an old USMC saying we had - Shoot Em All and Let God Sort Em Out. But I heard they frown on that kinda thing in civilian life. My, My have I mellowed with age. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.