Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find any recent posts about this so I thought I'd ask.

My 2018 Shadow Aero ABS came with Bridgestone Excedra g701 (120/90-17) on the front and g702 on the rear (160/80-15). I'm still on the original front tire after 14,000 miles. The original rear lasted only 7000 miles because of a double puncture through the tread and out the side wall (6 inch screw). Replaced the rear with a cheap Dunlop d404 (170/80-15).

Now both are nearing their limit and I'm torn between several different tires. OE Bridgestone Excedra G701 &G702, Bridgestone Excedra Max. The G702 rear tire I punctured, I didn't have a lot of time with it and don't remember how it was.
These are the only tires Ive found a front and rear in the recommended sizes at reasonable prices.
There are others like michelin, metzler, dunlop and avon I've considered. Haven't enjoyed the rear dunlop D404, though. Any other tire recommendations, too? I'm looking for good mileage and comfort. Preferably recommended sizes too.

Daily rider, year round riding , a couple long trips a year. Actually my only vehicle right now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I like Avon, just took their Cobra AV72 off the rear of my Tourer, can't remember when I put it on, I'm thinking 8-10K miles. They were out of stock, so went with a Shinko 830 for now
Have a Bridgestone BattlAx BT45V on the front, 15K and still looks good. Metzler ME888 is good, maybe slightly above average tread life,,, I won't run another Dunflop after their Elite3 Radial POS I got

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
,,,And keep in mind, they're only tires. long as they are round and hold air, they will probably be ok.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Mileage=Michelin. Usually 15,000+ miles and because i'd much rather ride as change tires.

·
Registered
822 Posts
In a year I put 10,000 miles on my Avon's, I think I may hit 20,000 with these tires. They were the Cobra AV72 and were not cheap but I like them.

I had Pirelli Nigh Dragons on my 1100 Shadow and those tire were nice and smooth, high grip in the wet or dry. Can't tell you how long they last though.

Two different tires. The Avon's are meant for heavy touring bike and the Pirelli's are meant for lighter cruisers and people who want to ride more aggressively.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Coming off Darkside, I went back to "My Drug of Choice" Pirelli Route MT66...
I consistently get 14,000+ miles outta these...
Yes, I`ve tried several brands, Michelin=12K, Bridgestone=14, (used)Shinko=10, Metzler=14K

Starting on rear tire change,
Dennis

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,283 Posts
If you don't exceed 5,000 mi. a year, Shinko's. More than 5,000 mi., Exedra 701/702 or Pirelli 66 are good options and AV92 Avon Cobra's though a tad more $$ are very good tire also. I've haven't used Shinko's but they have been continually praised on most forums but shorter tread life do to being a lot grippier. Basically Pirelli is the only tire I've used on my 1100 Spirit w/o nary an issue. 15,000 rear and 23,000 + on front and wasn't worn out yet when it left the stable.

The Exedra Max (bias ply) worked well on the Vulcan 1600 the short time I rode it but it was a 825 lb. bike compared to the Shadow "lightweights" which with a lot of harder compound/"new improved" tread for mileage etc., have a tendency to not grip as well in cold/wet conditions. Not saying this would be an issue but the regular Exedra definitely doesn't have this issue. Going to a 170/80-15 will lower your rpm's and slow your acceleration a tad.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Couldn't find any recent posts about this so I thought I'd ask.

My 2018 Shadow Aero ABS came with Bridgestone Excedra g701 (120/90-17) on the front and g702 on the rear (160/80-15). I'm still on the original front tire after 14,000 miles. The original rear lasted only 7000 miles because of a double puncture through the tread and out the side wall (6 inch screw). Replaced the rear with a cheap Dunlop d404 (170/80-15).

Now both are nearing their limit and I'm torn between several different tires. OE Bridgestone Excedra G701 &G702, Bridgestone Excedra Max. The G702 rear tire I punctured, I didn't have a lot of time with it and don't remember how it was.
These are the only tires Ive found a front and rear in the recommended sizes at reasonable prices.
There are others like michelin, metzler, dunlop and avon I've considered. Haven't enjoyed the rear dunlop D404, though. Any other tire recommendations, too? I'm looking for good mileage and comfort. Preferably recommended sizes too.

Daily rider, year round riding , a couple long trips a year. Actually my only vehicle right now.
'

You have one of the good looking bikes for Wide Whites!

Take any brand that offers Wide Whites, and go with it.
'

·
Registered
2011 Phantom
12 Posts
I just replaced the stock Bridgestones on my 2011 Phantom with Shinko 777s. They were on sale and had a very good review average, but as they didn't have 160s in stock I went up to 170 in back (feels a bit more stable even if dropping into sharper leans a bit slower). Always nice to have new shoes, hopefully get some decent mileage out of them.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Who ordered Summer???

It`s HERE!!!
Come on DOWN!!!

Still procrastinating on the rear swap,
Dennis

Looking at 84 on the temp gauge

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,142 Posts
I agree on the comment about Pirelli MT66. I had them on my '07 Shadow Aero 750 and loved them. They were fantastic, and rank right up there with the OEM Honda tire (Bridgestone G701/G702). :cool:

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
As I say, I LIKE `em!!
MT66 Pirelli Route " That`s my Drug of Choice" "

I agree on the comment about Pirelli MT-66. I had them on my '07 Shadow Aero 750 and loved them. They were fantastic, and rank right up there with the OEM Honda tire (Bridgestone G701/G702). :cool:
Installing my Baby`s Rear tire as I type ...

I think I mentioned " I`m coming OFF Darkside " I wanna FEEL what I`ve beena missing ...
I`ll KNOW the difference besides cost & the %[email protected])(%# JOBB of Seating the Bead @105 psi?
No Name brand - Classic - All season 165 / 80 ? -15 ;)
Yeah That`s a 4 Letter Word (JOBB) :D

I replace in Sets when on Motorcycle Tires, Just because I LOVE New Rubber,
Dennis

I`ve got 170,000 miles on my Baby trying different brands along with darkside/double darkside ...
Can`t say 170K Cause`in I ain`t tried nothing since I found them Pirelli / "My Drug" Bridgestone G series was on it @40,000 when I bought her...

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I came to a "Screeching Halt", once the sun got to shining into and onto the workspot...
That tire`s too hot to put back on the Bike,
Dennis

Reason to procrastinate ;)

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Thank you @BT Wind 423 I Got a little experience in a whole lotta things...
I`ve Beena mounting my own tires since my first bike in the 60s, Gotta do all my maintenance on accountta I seen shops mess up others bikes...
Riding behind a fella what got the 600 miles service when the drainplug came out, Oil went all over the rear wheel and he went down...

IF I mess up, it`s on ME,
Dennis

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thank you @BT Wind 423 I Got a little experience in a whole lotta things...
I`ve Beena mounting my own tires since my first bike in the 60s, Gotta do all my maintenance on accountta I seen shops mess up others bikes...
Riding behind a fella what got the 600 miles service when the drainplug came out, Oil went all over the rear wheel and he went down...

IF I mess up, it`s on ME,
Dennis
Yup, had a shop mess up my Suzuki, I think I posted about it before, done all my own wrenching ever since, also why I'm being anal about my oil filter.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
After only getting 10k miles out of the stock Dunlops I tried to darkside my rear tire but was unable to get the bead to seat so I went with a Kenda Kruz rear tire. Had to go up a size and my fuel mileage has suffered a bit. The tire rides good, even now with over 10k+ miles on it. It does make some noise when leaning into curves.

The front, I went with "double dark side", rear bike tire on the front, Bridgestone Batlax. I had to go down a size with this choice but the tire is great.

I installed balance beads in both tubes and I am convinced doing this is a good thing. I think I am close to 14k miles on these tires and the still have good tread.

In retrospect goind with the larger rear tire was not a good idea. I was trying to lower engine rpm's at highway speeds, it did that, very small result, but my MPG took about a 5MPG loss on average. When I change the rear tire next time I will go back to the stock size.

The front tire has been good but I really have not noticed a difference with using a rear bike tire. So I will go back to a regular front tire the correct size and be done with the great experiment.

The one thing that I did that I believe made the biggest difference was the balance beads. I have even put them in my utility trailer tires, made a huge difference, and have them in my Cherokee tires as well.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: h13man

·
Registered
62 Posts
After reading tons of positive review, I finally order my first pair of Shinko 777s. I haven't ridden much on them, except for the few miles back from my mechanics. So, can't share my personal experience yet but certainly hoping for better riding. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts