Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
It has been about 10 years since I have had my bike jacket out of the closet, and apparently there was quite a bit of "Closet Shrinkage"

So, I am off to a bike show this weekend to look for a new Jacket.
Since it has been about 15 years since I have bought one.
I was hoping some of you let me know what to look out for?

If my memory searves me correctly, bike jackets are stiched together with Nylon thread, instead of cotton, to prevent splitting during a slid....Did I remember correctly?

Should I buy a jacket with a Lower Back support?
Should the jacket have vents?
How tight should it fit?
What about zip out liners? Good or bad?

Any other tips or pointers would be helpful.

Thanks
O

· Registered
303 Posts
Here's my 2 cents...I'm no expert, but I love my leather jacket.

Vents - yes! They do help. I'm a big fan.

Liner (zip out)- yes if you plan to wear it 3-seasons (and live somewhere that actually has seasons). I love this feature. Even with the liner in, I can open the vents and get partial cooling if the temperature suddenly warms.

Fit - for me the most important part (other than general fit) was the SLEEVES. Too short and the wind will be coming up your arms. You want to be able to stick your arms straight out in front of you and still have the cuff covering your watch. Also, the NECK is important. I like a snug fit around the neck (as opposed to an open v-collar or something like that) to keep the jacket from flapping. I sometimes ride without a shield, so it's extra important that it fit well if you ride that way.

Safety - Heavy, thick leather is totally worth it. Don't feel at all guilty about spending money on a quality jacket. Also, lots of places are even adding reflective strips on the back. I couldn't find one of those that fit me, but it doesn't seem to take much away from the look (IMO) and adds a LOT of visibility at night.

I don't know much about thread, but your argument makes sense. I'd recommend finding a place that sells to lots of bikers (we have a place nearby that makes biker jackets and even hosts bike events at the store).

Have fun. I'd love to have another jacket! Buy some cleaner/protector for treating it when it gets wet.

· Registered
8,119 Posts
I bought this jacket last year and I cannot say enough good things about it. I love my Pistol Pete jacket and all its features.

Sleeve pockets for keys
Vents in the back area by the arms
Large left side pocket that zips and velcros open with sunglass pockets inside it
Zip out heavy liner
Mesh inner liner

It's just a warm, comfortable and very functional jacket for its price. It is also thick leather with good stitching.

For the price, you wont find one better.

Here is the link - http://www.jafrum.com/Leather-Jacke...ackets/MJ708-Mens-Black-Leather-Biker-Jackets

Chris

( And No I do not work or invest in Jafrum. :) )

· Registered
1,266 Posts
buy one that has tight fitting sleeve cuffs so your gloves can fit over the cuffs.

if the gloves cant fit over the cuffs the wind will blow right up your arm.

i have found that the only jackets that fit gloves properly are the BOMBER type jackets. also a zipper flap and collar is a necessity.

droy

· Registered
8,119 Posts
kolonial said:
Woah, Chris, nice find. Those are insanely low prices. You say the quality is good?
Sorry I am late getting back to you Kolonial. My apologies.

I have compared my jacket to several of my riding buddies and have found the quality as good or better. In many cases my buddies bought high dollar jackets and after comparing them they were none to happy as mine had more features, was made better and was more comfortable to wear. What fried them was they paid two and three times as much.

I am really happy with mine. I am a jacket nut anyways and when I get a nice jacket that I like it becomes my prized possession. Outside my nomex flight jacket, this jacket is my favorite. :)

I think if you ordered one you would be happy with it as I am with mine. If not, let me know and I will buy you dinner. ( Good gawd, I cannot believe I just said that. You will hate it for sure just to get a free meal out of me.......lol ).

Chris

· Registered
749 Posts
I wear this FMC jacket and I really like it. Zip out liner makes it quite warm on cold days and zippered pockets provide secure storage. The collar unsnaps so it zips up around my neck when I need to keep out cold wind. It's quite heavy and well made.

· Registered
526 Posts
http://www.lutzsleather.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=698281|701767&PRID=1565810

I finally broke down and got a "real" mc jacket. I am glad I did. This one has a zip out liner, mesh inner, and the pockets = vents. The one on he upper left is VERY deep. Glasses fit easy with room to spare. The shoulders are baffled (? for lack of a better term) for freedom of movement. The sleeves are cut long and the wrists zip tight. The leather gloves go over the jacket, the mesh ones go under which is OK because I ride with the mesh ones when its hot out and I want air flow.

I bought 1 size up. The "real" size fit nice over a flannel shirt, but there was no real room for anything else with the liner in, and I want to wear a fleece vest also if I need to. The extra room seems to hepl when it is warm out. I havent had to much time to try it out in the heat but when it did hit almost 80 here for a afternoon I had plenty of airflow and only sweated where I was against the backrest.

I wore a bomber type when I rode before, and a bomber type since I picked it back up. The mc jacket is worth getting. Do yourself a favor and buy chaps at the same time. I went for chaps, and walked out with a jacket also.

· Registered
1,490 Posts
Christopher said:
I bought this jacket last year and I cannot say enough good things about it. I love my Pistol Pete jacket and all its features.

For the price, you wont find one better.

Here is the link - http://www.jafrum.com/Leather-Jacke...ackets/MJ708-Mens-Black-Leather-Biker-Jackets
)
I have the Milwaukee version of this jacket
http://hondashadow.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_36_40&products_id=63
and I love it - I especially love the huge breast "pistol" pocket. I'm constantly amazed at what I can stuff in there. I did have to cut off all the braided trim though - it just wasn't my style. Very heavy duty high quality leather. As far as what to look for: thick but supple leather, long enough sleeve, good tight fit in the chest and waist.

Chris, if your ever in the neighborhood, I'd love to compare the jackets since the Millwaukee was quite a bit more expensive than the Jafrum (just hopin' I didn't get hosed!).

· Registered
22 Posts
Snooze said:
I wear this FMC jacket and I really like it. Zip out liner makes it quite warm on cold days and zippered pockets provide secure storage. The collar unsnaps so it zips up around my neck when I need to keep out cold wind. It's quite heavy and well made.

Thats the one i got too and i havent had any problems at all. And its nice and warm.

· Registered
230 Posts
Leather? Did someone say leather?

These folks have the highest quality American made leathers. Serious heavy weight stuff. I found a good sale on mine, plus no tax and no shipping. Check out the guarantee. Aside from knife fights and bullet holes, you are covered.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/

Cheers,
Satyr

· Registered
507 Posts
I just picked up a Berik MotoGP jacket tonight from the dealer. Original list on the jacket was $379.99 and I got it for $249.99. Apparently, it's a design that is not very popular anymore and they won't be stocking it. For me, it's just right. A nice high quality thick leather, zip out liner, reflective coloring, and a good fit. I'm happy with it, especially since it has all the Kevlar padding where it counts. Here it is:

· Registered
387 Posts
+1 with Chris, I just got my new leather in the mail today from Jafrum. I bought the MJ400 style jacket for ONLY $58 (I was sure I was going to get hosed with some super cheap knockoff jacket). I am extremely surprised at the quality of the leather and the craftsmanship of the jacket. The leather is heavy gauge and yet looks like it will mold to my body quickly, one of the better buys I have made purchasing clothes online. I recommend this company and their service. I also bought my saddlebags from them and they’re so huge I might need to get a bigger bike now :lol:

http://www.jafrum.com/Leather-Jacke...ker-Jackets-Classic-Motorcycle-Leather-Jacket
http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Luggage/Leather-Saddlebags/SD1574-Motorcycle-Saddlebags

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Thanks all, You aided in my decision.
I picked a nice custom made jacket up at a local Bike thispast weekend.
All Pockets are Zip out, 4 Vents, Snap collar, Adjustable Kidney Belt, and super Heavy gauge Leather.....All for $250 bucks....
Appreciate all of your help!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.