Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get an 85 Shadow 1100, it has 15k on it and it looks likes it's in decent shape.

What should I look for when looking at this bike in person?
What are some of the known issues in this model?

The recent I am looking at an 85 is that it is shaft drive, water cooled, and it had a CENTER STAND!

Thank you for your feedback.

Im ready to get back into a Shadow!!!

· Registered
503 Posts
my stator and rectifier needed replacement, so id say, be sure the electrical works, and charges.
also handle bar switches can oxidize over time, and foul up, but that is easy to rebuild.

shaft seal might be dead, check for oil leak between shaft housing, and final drive.

if its carburated and sitting a wile, theres the fuel bowl issue.
thats all i can think of

· Registered
1,439 Posts
85's and 86's hauled ballz. the drawback... discontinued parts. lots of stuff can deteriorate on any bike that old. i'd recommend considering a newer year model. shadows are great and inexpensive. from 87-96 up you have a better selection of OEM and aftermarket parts. 97-07 is even better. good luck, hoping you will find a bike just right for you.

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get an 85 Shadow 1100, it has 15k on it and it looks likes it's in decent shape.

The recent I am looking at an 85 is that it is shaft drive, water cooled, and it had a CENTER STAND!

Ask to see the maintenance records. That will tell you how well the bike was cared for. Then do a thorough visual inspection along with a buddy who is knowledgeable bike rider/mechanic. Two sets of eyes is better than the just the buyers.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Aren't these the years with problematic carb diaphrams? Really hard to find replacements & susceptible to rot?

If the money is right, go for it! Expect to spend 3x the price of an old bike to make it equivalent to a newer bike...with a center stand. So, if they're asking $1000 for this bike & $3000 for a 2007 Shadow with shaft drive, is the center stand worth $2000???

For me, no way! A Harbor Freight MC jack is about $100.

· Registered
5,282 Posts
As much as I love the 80's Shadows, my experience here with helping guys and gals find parts is don't go there. Many parts are obsoleted by Honda. Stick with a mid-90's and up. Let's face it, if money were not an object and you were set on older bikes, you'd be posting on a Harley forum for Dyna, Sportster, or Softtail advice. ;) Speaking of which, I recently ran across the nicest Softtail Springer I've ever seen. Love those old springers ... http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/4851751461.html

· Registered
2,210 Posts
As allot of people on here know I love my 86vt700. Not to hard to keep them on the road as long a your doing the work allot of shops won't touch something that old, but well worth the time and effort

· Banned
5,100 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Like any other vehicle a LOT depends on the History of the Bike, # of Owners
and general condition of the bike.

Unless you are a decent amateur motorcycle mechanic with experience with Carb repair I would say just don't fall in love with it, you'll likely get your Heart broken.

If you get it for next to nothing (like $300) and it runs ok and looks ok and you like it, then by all means get it and enjoy riding it you might get a year or two of problem free riding

FYI, A dealer near me charged a guy $700.00 to repair the Carb on his late 90's shadow 750.

· Registered
2,685 Posts
I posted this from another thread

How many miles? Sitting outside or inside? Clean or filthy? Shape of the tires (no I don't mean round)?

A bike that's been ridden and maintained will have little to no issues unless the owner simply didn't fix anything. But usually a bike with low miles (especially if it sits outside) usually means a lot of work in a short time frame for the new owner.

If the current owner can tell you all the history before him, the better it should make you feel. If he has no idea what the PO did to it, if its got pipes and he doesn't know if its been jetted, it could be abused beyond what I would recommend you deal with, for a first bike.

My first bike was my 01 Shadow Spirit 750. It looked brand new, but turned over 10k on the way home. I was the third owner, but the lady I got it from knew all the history to that point. I got a 10k mile virgin and had my way with her for 26,000 and was able to pass that along to the guy who bought it back in December.

Now, im the second owner of my Fury and knew more about it than the previous guy could tell me, only because he was pretty inept at mechanical stuff and the 4 cross threaded bolts (including the neg side of the battery) were a huge clue.

So, if you can get us some pics, some history and the price we could help you much better :)

· Registered
11,300 Posts
It's a 30 year old machine. How deep can you get in with any repairs yourself, and how much extra $$$ do you have to get stuff fixed? IF you can find the parts.

That's the question you need to ask/answer for yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.