Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCB7
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

New to the site, find lots of good info here. I looked around a bit and couldn't find it, but what were the exhaust options from the factory? I bought new from the dealer in 2008. Came with V&H Straightshots on it, and I'm thinking dealer installed. Bike is 2007 VT750DCB7.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
673 Posts
2008 model with stock exhaust.
Welcome to the forum. From West Chester, PA.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCB7
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pretty much figured that but wasn’t 100% on that one. They also left the stock jets, I got the carb apart to clean it, I’m gonna throw some slightly bigger ones in there.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
447 Posts
Howdy Gordgoroth!

It is possible that Vance & Hines will have a guide for what size jets, needle position and initial pilot screw position that will work best with the pipes you have.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCB7
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Howdy Gordgoroth!

It is possible that Vance & Hines will have a guide for what size jets, needle position and initial pilot screw position that will work best with the pipes you have.
I thought so too so I asked them, they literally said “ask dynojet” but I got some already, an assortment of them. I put in 115 and 120 with 42 pilot. I figure it’s a good place to start. Should have the carbs back in and fired up in the next day or two.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,153 Posts
I thought so too so I asked them, they literally said “ask dynojet” but I got some already, an assortment of them. I put in 115 and 120 with 42 pilot. I figure it’s a good place to start. Should have the carbs back in and fired up in the next day or two.
Open up the intake with a Bean box mod, if the exhaust is mostly open I’d try a 124 Front 128 Rear Dynojet jet setup if you choose to mod the intake. Keihin jets are a bit different in size but that should be close to what I’d expect a bike with those mods to take.

Stock needles?

Reactions: Bdub

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
246 Posts
Somewhere in the Dynojet Homepage you find which jets are the ones sold for your type of Honda Shadow. In case you don't want the DJ set, you should have a look in one of the jet comparisons. A DJ 180 is like a Keihin 202, so the number of a normal Keihin Jet should be bigger than the proper DJ jet, or you try out the jets recommended here.
The DJ needle is tapered so the a/f mix is richer in the bottom end. In my case I went from 42 to 45 pilot jet and will try out a 48 pilot, in combination with the DJ kit (VT 1100).
Some folks do the rejetting without a DJ kit and without DJ jets and it works, too.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCB7
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Open up the intake with a Bean box mod, if the exhaust is mostly open I’d try a 124 Front 128 Rear Dynojet jet setup if you choose to mod the intake. Keihin jets are a bit different in size but that should be close to what I’d expect a bike with those mods to take.

Stock needles?
Currently stock airbox, but will be doing..something to that soon enough. Right now I just want to get her running. There is a small baffle in there atm with stock needles. I am going to install tonight, if I get time, maybe I'll bump the mains to 120/124.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCB7
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somewhere in the Dynojet Homepage you find which jets are the ones sold for your type of Honda Shadow. In case you don't want the DJ set, you should have a look in one of the jet comparisons. A DJ 180 is like a Keihin 202, so the number of a normal Keihin Jet should be bigger than the proper DJ jet, or you try out the jets recommended here.
The DJ needle is tapered so the a/f mix is richer in the bottom end. In my case I went from 42 to 45 pilot jet and will try out a 48 pilot, in combination with the DJ kit (VT 1100).
Some folks do the rejetting without a DJ kit and without DJ jets and it works, too.
Hmm, good to know, I think I will take a look at their page for that info. Thank you.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,054 Posts
If you bought it new, did you get the stock exhaust? Its really strange the dealership would spend $500 on aftermarket exhaust for no reason. Here they dont even fill with fuel. The only thing I can think of is that someone ordered the bike with V&H and then the deal fell through but even in that case the dealer would put the stock pipes back on. This is weird. Any background?

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCB7
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you bought it new, did you get the stock exhaust? Its really strange the dealership would spend $500 on aftermarket exhaust for no reason. Here they dont even fill with fuel. The only thing I can think of is that someone ordered the bike with V&H and then the deal fell through but even in that case the dealer would put the stock pipes back on. This is weird. Any background?
It was purchased from the dealer in 2008 as a leftover from 2007. I just thought because of the trim level on it, the exhaust was part of it. No stock exhaust was given to me or anything like that, no mention of upgrades. I am thinking they did that as something to sweeten the deal to move the bike. It was a few years later I realized the difference and started looking around and found zip about that exhaust as an option, but thought I'd ask here since this seems to be a great source. Also, probably doesn't mean squat, but it's a Canadian bike.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,054 Posts
It was purchased from the dealer in 2008 as a leftover from 2007. I just thought because of the trim level on it, the exhaust was part of it...
Well a real head-scratcher but I guess we will never know. The only thing I can think of that would make any sense is the dealer or someone demoing, scratched the stock exhaust badly and the dealer replaced it with aftermarket to save a bit of money.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCB7
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well a real head-scratcher but I guess we will never know. The only thing I can think of that would make any sense is the dealer or someone demoing, scratched the stock exhaust badly and the dealer replaced it with aftermarket to save a bit of money.
Could be indeed. Don’t think I’ll ever know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I pretty much figured that but wasn’t 100% on that one. They also left the stock jets, I got the carb apart to clean it, I’m gonna throw some slightly bigger ones in there.
If it’s been running all these years with the jets that are in it leave it alone. In 1996 l bought my 1100 ace and had the dealer install cobra exhaust,they said they had to rejet it Or it would be to lean. It fouled the plugs about every 3000 miles . After about three or four sets of plugs I put the stock jets back in it, the fuel mileage went up 6-7 mpg and much more power, now the plugs go 20-30,000 miles. That was about twenty years ago and it still runs great.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,054 Posts
If it’s been running all these years with the jets that are in it leave it alone. In 1996 l bought my 1100 ace and had the dealer install cobra exhaust,they said they had to rejet it Or it would be to lean. It fouled the plugs about every 3000 miles . After about three or four sets of plugs I put the stock jets back in it, the fuel mileage went up 6-7 mpg and much more power, now the plugs go 20-30,000 miles. That was about twenty years ago and it still runs great.
Sounds like your dealer was just selling you extra service hours since with just a minor exhaust mod the rejet was not only not required, but also disadvantageous. Mid to late 90s there was a lot of that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like your dealer was just selling you extra service hours since with just a minor exhaust mod the rejet was not only not required, but also disadvantageous. Mid to late 90s there was a lot of that.
Cobra recommendations with their exhaust. However after rejetting back to stock and 4 or five years later I went back to dealership and had a reasonable talk with management,they refunded the rejetting charge! Amazing

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCB7
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, so it's a few days later. Installed carbs with new, slightly bigger mains and pilots 115, 120 and 42. Ran like it was starving, which was the reason I took the carbs off in the first place, to clean them. Checked for spark and fuel flow, looks good. Air box on, air box off, no difference. Swapped out the new bigger jets for the new factory size ones. Very same thing, acts like it's starving. I get to maybe 1/4 throttle, very roughly, and then she falls flat on her face. Cleaned the factory jets 105, 108 and 40, put it all back together, and very same thing. During all of this, I was adjusting the air fuel mixture from factory specs and out by 1/2 turn at a time, not a difference in the world. I went from 1.5 all the way to 4. Bypassed the fuel pump, hooked up the fuel pump, exact same results. The tank was drained before I started any of this, so it was cleaned and brand new fuel. She always starts easily and idles fine.

Looks like this turned into a trouble shooting post instead of a looking for info post.

Also, wanted to say thanks to all above who commented about the exhaust question. Great info on this site.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts