Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you have a dream of hopping on your bike and riding cross country.

What aspects of your life are you willing to eliminate to fulfill your dream?
If your SO didn't share your dream, would you let them go?
Would you blow off paying your bills to buy gear?
Would you shorten your work week (along with income) for those weekend rides?

How much do YOU love to ride?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My Job!... well maybe :-?
I drive a water truck for a living and summertime is when I am needed most at my Job.:mrgreen:

July 1st 2012 I leave For British Columbia, 3000 miles from home one way.:-D

I am taking a chance that after 16years at my job it may not be there when I return.:shock:

I have been to east Canada, a week here a week there....

For our west trip we will be taking our time to enjoy it and that means three to four weeks. I cant wait:p

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
1. None. If I have to Give something up it must not be much of a dream.
2. No, BUT. I don't MAKE my Wife, not Gay so don't have a SO, do anything. I also don't expect her to share all of my dreams or love of riding. If she wants to go she doesn't, if not I go alone. BUT, I also won't go if she was against me doing it, see #1.
3. No. See #1.
4. Yes, IF it does conflict with #1
5. I have owned at least 1 Motorcycle for the last 30 years. A bike has always been either my primary mode of transportation or a close second. I'd say I have more miles in the saddle than behind the wheel.

BUT I won't switch from Steak to hotdogs, in order to ride. I will sell the bike before that happens.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Easy didn't have to give up anything. Just received word from court the big D is done! Semi retired, big chunk $ from ex 401, no debt, kids growed, who says economy stinks, not I. Now I am really feeling rt 66 to 101 coast. See ya on the road. God Bless Doug

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I did 1100 miles around Wales on a motorbike in 2008 and wrote a book about it, it rained every day and every night and this year I started on a 4,000 mile trip around the British coast also in the pouring rain, but my bike blew the engine after 520 miles so I will do the trip next year on my old VT700.

John.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I built a business and lifestyle around having flexibility of time, am careful where I spend my hard-earned money, and haven't given up anything.

Last year, I rode from Auckland to Invercargill (on a 250cc Kwaka retro-bike) to attend the Burt Munro Challenge, which was a 3500 km/2170 mile round trip. Took two weeks away from work, rode down with some great friends, had a fantastic time, amazed a few people that I could do the trip on a peashooter sickel, etc.

There's a cool book, called The Four-Hour Workweek, that you might find inspirational...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had to quit my part time hobby of playing drums in a band to have money to get the bike I have now. I gave up my dream of being a musician after more than 25 years. It still hurts when I see someone playing drums and I know that I was as good as they are - but I never made it. The VLX is my "diversion from reality" now. I ride everyday to work and at least one day each weekend. The urge is there to just aim the bike in one direction and ride, and not turn around and come back! Maybe after I retire in 12-13 years or so, but right now I have to stay put.
Maybe someday.......

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The urge is there to just aim the bike in one direction and ride, and not turn around and come back!
Maybe someday.......
I, too, have that urge. It's why I play the lottery.
But I have a couple grandbabies so I would always come back. Maybe stop by each time I come around the globe.

Ah, lottery dreams.

My answers are that I ride as a part of my enjoyment. I won't give up much to ride as it's only a part of who I am. It's probably about 50 steps down on my list of important things in life but there are things much further down.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Interesting question. I've followed that dream a number of times in recent years. Took a 4,000 mile loop around the Western US, a 2,500 mile loop around the Southwest and circuitous trips to Houston, Phoenix, and Minneapolis. Didn't have to give anything up to take them, just a little time. Things worked out so that when my wife was travelling, I had the time to go or I had business reasons to be in one of those cities.

Wouldn't trade the experiences for anything and I'm sure I'll do more. But you know, the rides I enjoy the most are the ones I do around here. I know the back roads like the back of my hand and I know where to watch for critters and such. I just love watching the changing weather and the changing of the seasons from the back of my bike. It really doesn't get much better that this.

So, even if you never do get to take the cross country trip, some of the best rides you will ever have will be the ones right around where you live. Don't live for the future, just enjoy your ride today!

Happy Trails!
sanoke

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would love to take off on a long ride accross country, but my kids are little....sooooo even though i would love to say i would give up my job and go...i wouldn't - it would be selfish if i did.

Someday i hope to do it and wont have to give anything up.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have gone coast to coast three times now, twice did the "Run for the Wall", Alaskan Highway once. I'm planning on doing the Run for the Wall again next year... or the year after. To be able to do these trips I have to make a few sacrifices. I have to keep an eye on my vacation time so I have plenty on the books. I also sock a few extra bucks away to make sure my pockets are full before taking off. That's about it.

Long distance runs aren't really all that expensive. They average about $100 a day when sharing costs with another rider or two.

I don't have to eliminate any aspects of my life to be able to do the runs, though my '68 Mustang might not get any new parts for a while.

My wife doesn't care for bikes or riding, but she waves goodbye to me and worries about me while I'm gone. I'm not having much luck convincing her that our 11 year old son is ready to ride with me on the next run.

I will NEVER blow off paying a bill for ANY reason.

I plan ahead for my long runs as do my riding partners. A few trips have had to be cancelled at the last minute due to being called away because of world events, but something else is done when we get back. My #1 priority is my job, my family and spending time with my son.... in that order. Everything after that is secondary.
I thoroughly enjoy my long rides and hope to be able to continue doing them for many more years.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I built a business and lifestyle around having flexibility of time, am careful where I spend my hard-earned money, and haven't given up anything.

Last year, I rode from Auckland to Invercargill (on a 250cc Kwaka retro-bike) to attend the Burt Munro Challenge, which was a 3500 km/2170 mile round trip. Took two weeks away from work, rode down with some great friends, had a fantastic time, amazed a few people that I could do the trip on a peashooter sickel, etc.

There's a cool book, called The Four-Hour Workweek, that you might find inspirational...
I spent seven years living in Auckland..Shackleton road Mt Eden..In those days I flew most places but the furthest south I went was Christchurch. I did the North Cape and the Coromandel peninsular.

John.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts

Been there done that...twice One RT and one one way (shipped the bike back) . Wasn't a "dream" just something I did becasue I had the time, the bike and, somewhere to go. Riding a bike across the country can be fun IF you take about 3 weeks. One Way. I did it right the second time...

Was single at the time........and no I wouldn't People are more important. Especially those who love you. My wife doesn't care for the bike. But she would never keep me from my joys nor would I keep her from hers.

Don't use gear....only the legal minimum and rain gear. Bills would come first.

No I ride to destinations anymore , rarely just go for a ride with no purpose.

I don't think i "love" it. Its convenient, saves a lot of wear and tear on other vehicles, and a great way to get there.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts

i would love to ride across country if i had a bigger bike, my 600 wouldnt be to comfy,if i had an 1100 or 1300 thatd be better.,but with my luck,my trip would go like those from the movie Wild Hogs.lol
aspects if you could call it that.,that id love to eliminate just to be able to have a life again,would be my anxiety disorder and the problems that causes it. i love riding and traveling..ive traveled 100's of thousands of miles across the country and parts of canada and i really miss it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd give up hot showers daily, comfortable bed, kitchen cooked food, TV, alarm clocks, job stress, schedules, performance evals. I've done some back country backpacking and would love to travel the country with bike and camping gear. One adult son rides and could imagine the 2 of us wandering North America, yet not being lost.

Remember, this is a dream scenario, so SO, mortage, bills, job, all take care of themselves

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'd give up all the conveniences of home, no problem... but I won't give up my job, or my animals. Job's needed in order to finance what I can do, and my animals are dependent on me. That's the agreement I made with myself before I got them. They're my buds, and I won't put my "fun" before them. Maybe when I'm older and am able to retire, and they're gone over the Rainbow Bridge... 'til then, just vacations and weekends for my "longer rides." Meantime, it's been all summer since I've driven anywhere in my cage, had to charge up the battery the other day when I wanted to do a big grocery shop, LOL ;)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What makes a "dream" so good, is the work put into making it a reality. I just did a couple of rides with my 78 year-old Dad this year, the first a 5,000 mile trip following Rt 66 (Hwy 40) and elsewhere, and just compleated a weekend trip with him in Idaho, and Montana, and parts of Oregon. I had to eliminate some of my vacation time, and $ I could ave used for a trip with my Sweetheart, but my Dad will not be around forever, and he and I are enjoying these things while we can.

As in leave them?? No way. My Sweetie is the best thing that has happened to me, and WAY more mportant than a dream. She is REAL!

No. I don't "Blow off" any of my bills.
Only if I had vacation time to cover it.
I love to ride as much as anyone, but I tend to take the car these days when it is bad weather. Not as crazy as I once was! ------Metalguy

·
Registered
181 Posts
I recently got a retirement job where I earn 7 hrs. paid time off @ 2 wks. I plan to let it build up each winter for a two week trip each summer. This summer, I went to Baltimore, Gettysburg, and Harper's Ferry. I like to take a tent and some camping gear and stay at International Hostels. It kind of keeps me in the spirit of the open road, sort of like Bronsen in the TV seriies, then Came Bronsen. To me, trailers and hotel rooms are not part of the experience.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I did 1100 miles around Wales on a motorbike in 2008 and wrote a book about it, it rained every day and every night and this year I started on a 4,000 mile trip around the British coast also in the pouring rain, but my bike blew the engine after 520 miles so I will do the trip next year on my old VT700.

John.
Back in the early 70's, I road a small Triumph motorcycle from London to Scottland and part ways down through Wales. When I wrecked the bike in Wales, some blokes in a beer lorry loaded me and the bike and took me to London. We stopped in may towns to deliver beer and play darts, sometimes sleeping on the tavern tables when they closed. Its was an expperience I will never forget.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.