Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of a project on my 83, and if it doesn't turn out, will be looking for a newer bike. My question is, are there any shadow models from 2003 - current that had issues? It seems like other posts indicated that I will not get the same power I currently have with the 83 - but besides the look - (I really like the ACE's) - what are the good or bad points of the Sabres, the Spirits, and the Aeros? I like the Phantoms looks - but will probably still buy used to save $3,000 - unless my bike gets resurrected.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Personally I'd say anything in the 1100 family and 97 or newer.

There really isn't anything "Bad" about these bikes. 3 yellow wire connector is the biggest but it's free to fix. Other than that just check the basics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently bought an 06 aero 750 and so far I really like it. I did notice that the spirit went from a chain to shaft drive in 06. I havent heard of any major problems with any of them.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Nearly all "issues" with Honda Cruisers are Owner induced. Yeah theres the weak charging wireing and some had Oil Guide issue. I would say any Shadow from any year that is in good condition, should be a good bike. Which model is about is a matter of preference NOT quality. This is because thay are all basically the same.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
You're thinking too new. Look for a 1998-2001 Shadow ACE Tourer aka The Greatest Honda Ever Made.

Can I get an Amen?
Kinda hard to get an amen when everyone knows the Sabre is the greatest Shadow ever made with the original ACE 1100 being second

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Knowing what I know now I would go for a Sabre - better gearing, and awesome wheels. Stay away from the single pin Aero's (not sure what year) they are kind of anemic.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Coming from that 6sp 1983 model..... you want 4 gears or 5?

Some care less, others swear "theirs" (either) is superior.

At least, ride a 4 sp if you consider....see how it is (rpm's/sluggish) at 45-55mph. If you don't like it, buy 97 and up...with 5 gears.

And, your right. Your 83 is faster than ALL of em mentioned. Keep that in mind. The 1100's are significantly heavier....however, I guess they can handle more weight/accesories....tend to be more comfortable, esp long trip.

Research, Consider WHAT you want performance wise/ to haul/ for how far/ etc, etc.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
You're thinking too new. Look for a 1998-2001 Shadow ACE Tourer aka The Greatest Honda Ever Made.

Can I get an Amen?

Lets go with "ONE OF" the best ever:p
They are really nice rides, probably my pick of 1100 models.
But VTX 1300 is where it's at:p
Coop

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I recently bought an 06 aero 750 and so far I really like it. I did notice that the spirit went from a chain to shaft drive in 06. I havent heard of any major problems with any of them.

07 went to shaft. I love my 06 Spirit. Not as heavy as an 1100 thus maybe not as good for long trips but nimble, easy to maneuver, good on gas and fun as all get out. I've put over 5K trouble free miles on it in less than 2 years ownership. More miles than both previous owners.

·
Registered
756 Posts
if you want to stick with Honda, and are concerned about a lack of power with the other shadow models, you can look at the VTX 1300, or 1800. I wouldnt pull the trigger on anything less myself. i rode a stock 1300 and was unimpressed but with some work they can be a fairly strong cruiser.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Can I get an Amen?
AMEN.
Except that I own a 1997 VT1100c2 ACE Tourer. You can find these at quite a discount, mine was in excellent condition with 9,000 miles for $3 grand.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Can I get an Amen?
Amen!
don't know if mine's a 'tourer' or not..but I'm very pleased with my '98 ACE

1 - 16 of 16 Posts