Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
True enough, I have a solo seat on my 750 Aero and I only weight about 162. Just the other day, I decided to wring her out in 4th gear. She was pulling 85 and had more throttle to go. I believe my 750 will hit 100, just need to find the road to do it, ie. no traffic. My 750 seems to have just a little bit juice than my 1200XL 2000 Sportster had. Plenty enough power and plenty of enough speed for me.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,644 Posts
I agree!!!

Even with a windshield, saddle bags, and my 220lb bulk on the Phantom it has plenty of power for me. I ride for enjoyment so why pay for speed that I am not going to use anyway.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,688 Posts
Yes, I shift to 5th at 80 Regularly, when I leave outta here...
No neighbors close,
Dennis

Yes, my Baby has got all I need

· Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
553 Posts
Yeah I find my '99 ACE 750vt has plenty for me. I ride the highway when needed but prefer and usually stick to secondary road no matter where and how far I'm riding, I don't care of it takes me a little longer. It's just personal choice. It's nice to know the speed is there when you want it (y)

· Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
537 Posts
The post-1997 vt750's have ample power for most situations and do what they were designed to accomplish.
As motorcycles go they are a pretty lazy though.
I found it annoying.
And what you did about it is pretty cool in my book. Have you had it on a dyno?

· Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,871 Posts
No dyno, I have had 0 to 60 runs in less than 4 seconds according to the GPS app with a good launch.
I'm thinking maybe 55 to 60 hp.
I have not had much luck putting together a good 1/4 mile time for various reasons although it will break into the 13's with the DragRacer app running illegally on the street, I think it could do better at the drag strip, but all of my safety equipment is long outdated, I'd never pass tech.

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,399 Posts
Bench racing season should be over by now guys. :giggle: Might be quick to other vtwins of equal displacement :unsure: but given power to weight ratios of any Shadow of later years, you might retune your butt dino's. ;) BTW you might add whether its chain or shaft driven to maybe be faster than 1200 XLCH Sportster and it sounds like the Sportster needs medical attention.

· Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
510 Posts
I always get a half smirk/giggle when I read somewhere that the Shadow 750 is a good beginner level bike. I've been riding everything from street, dirt, crotch rockets, and of course cruisers for the better part of 35 years. My current 09 Shadow Spirit 750 is the second one I've had.
What I think they say it's a good beginner bike for some is the low seat height, and the power is definitely enough to enjoy yourself new or old to riding motorcycles....the power is predictable. That would be very good for a less experienced rider. IMHO.
I like the look and the reliability of the shadow. And most other Hondas. And let's not forget the much lower maintenance than say your average Harley.
*** I'm not knocking Harley's...they are beautiful bikes...and I've ridden them in the past. I have a friend with over 100k on his 05 Road Glide....but has put a lot of parts into it to keep it running

· Registered
150 Posts
the newer Harleys are just as reliable.... as long as folks leave them alone but many like to add the stage kits and then the mechanics skill level comes into the equation.

I think most cruiser style bikes are good for beginners because you sit upright and comfortable... as long as the bike isnt too heavy for the individual rider.... 750 is light and you can keep up with your friends... unless they gotta 1100 gsxr and insist on winding it out. Lol

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,644 Posts
I always get a chuckle when folks say they need a bike that will run over 100 mph and then buy a cruiser. I know some will do it all day long, but if you want off the line power you need more displacement and for all out speed and handling you need a sport bike.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kesanders

· Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,871 Posts
I think most cruiser style bikes are good for beginners because you sit upright and comfortable... as long as the bike isnt too heavy for the individual rider.... 750 is light and you can keep up with your friends... unless they gotta 1100 gsxr and insist on winding it out. Lol

I agree on the low seat height and upright position is good for beginners feeling of security.
But for actual comfort IMO the feet forward positioning works against many cruisers if the road is not dead smooth, and how many are these days?
The reason being the inability to unweight one's butt combined with 1 1/2 to 4" of rear suspension travel.
Beginners who have never ridden anything else might this this is normal motorcycle comfort, but it is not.
Looking ahead at a disruption in the road surface and all you can do is grimace, that's not comfort.

I'm not going to get into hardtails. |-;

Now I don't expect to be able to stand in the pegs like an offroad bike, but having the rider triangle arranged allowing the butt to lift a couple of inches is good.

The foregoing represents my personal opinion and I'm kinda grumpy. (-:
I saw a guy in a high-def security video yesterday at a friend's auto shop and thought "who is that?" and it was me, looking like somebody stuck a beard on my grandfather's picture.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
First time I got back on a bike, rode to a biker hangout, told the guy what I ride and to my surprise, he said that was too much bike for him. I couldn't see thru his trousers or his 100% cotton briefs, not that I'd look, but you get where I'm going wit dis.

· Registered
2002 Honda Shadow ACE
10 Posts
I always get a half smirk/giggle when I read somewhere that the Shadow 750 is a good beginner level bike. I've been riding everything from street, dirt, crotch rockets, and of course cruisers for the better part of 35 years. My current 09 Shadow Spirit 750 is the second one I've had.
What I think they say it's a good beginner bike for some is the low seat height, and the power is definitely enough to enjoy yourself new or old to riding motorcycles....the power is predictable. That would be very good for a less experienced rider. IMHO.
I like the look and the reliability of the shadow. And most other Hondas. And let's not forget the much lower maintenance than say your average Harley.
*** I'm not knocking Harley's...they are beautiful bikes...and I've ridden them in the past. I have a friend with over 100k on his 05 Road Glide....but has put a lot of parts into it to keep it running
I read all these posts saying "My Honda Shadow goes fast enough", "100mph Who needs to go that fast", "If you want to go over 80mph you bought the wrong bike". Well to those people I say maybe you need to stick to driving in your "Safe" car. With your airbags and safety belts. Motorcycles are inherently dangerous! Todays 750cc cruiser bikes are neutered. Even the 1000cc cruiser bikes can easily be outrun on the top end by a pickup truck. I see nothing wrong with wanting a bike that looks good, feels comfortable, can be quick. I ride a safe as I can. Sometimes it's good to have a bike that can accelerate quickly to enter an interstate. That takes Horse Power.

· Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
510 Posts
I read all these posts saying "My Honda Shadow goes fast enough", "100mph Who needs to go that fast", "If you want to go over 80mph you bought the wrong bike". Well to those people I say maybe you need to stick to driving in your "Safe" car. With your airbags and safety belts. Motorcycles are inherently dangerous! Todays 750cc cruiser bikes are neutered. Even the 1000cc cruiser bikes can easily be outrun on the top end by a pickup truck. I see nothing wrong with wanting a bike that looks good, feels comfortable, can be quick. I ride a safe as I can. Sometimes it's good to have a bike that can accelerate quickly to enter an interstate. That takes Horse Power.
Agreed.... if you’re looking to do triple digits...a v-twin cruiser probably isn’t the right bike for you.
In the past I had a Honda Interceptor that was tuned and extremely fast and responsive. If you weren’t paying attention and grabbed even an extra half inch of throttle your ass would be laying on the ground with the bike on top of you. I’d barely have to crack the throttle to have the front wheel off the ground In the first 3 gears before it touching the ground again.
that kind of power and speed is a whole different animal. NOT what you buy a cruiser for.
i like going slower and be able to be upright and enjoy the scenery. I enjoyed the sport and super sport bikes when I was a bit younger...but now why I ride has changed.

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,399 Posts
How many horses of power?

Thank You,
John
You should know that John, you own a Valkyrie if my memory serves me correctly. Basically I'm comfortable with 1:7 thru 1:8 PTWR. My next purchase if I decide to sell the Valk this spring the candidate is a 2017 CB1100. 210 lbs. lighter than the Valk and a oversquare engine with a pretty flat torque curve. I deal with I 65 to access the rest of the world thus my need for good acceleration.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 20 of 49 Posts