Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
Discussion Starter #1
Here's mine at the moment...

Not long ago, the only bike running was the Valkyrie. This stupid pandemic has allowed me time to get the CRF250X and the VT1100C Shadow back in shape.
Decided to clean the Valkyrie carbs since they were 23 years old and had never been cracked! (Plus, keeping my hands busy helps ease the stress of this stupid pandemic.) She had been idling a bit rough as of late, too. Surprised at how clean the carbs were once opened, but I did find a small hair inside the #4 carb's main jet. (Not sure how it could get there.) And one of the vacuum piston springs was a bit catti-wampus, but seemed to have worked fine (That's the real head scratcher). She had been synched once by me a few years ago.

Waiting on some new manifold boots as the old ones have hardened a bit over the last 23 years then I'll but her back together. So...after I sync the carbs and put a fine tune to the pilot screws, all I'll need to do is replace the timing belts adjust the valves and replace the radiator hoses. Oh yeah, change the oil and filter as well!

...good thing there's a pandemic, or I might never get this stuff done!

馃敡

Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
How many miles on the Fat Lady out of curiosity?

Here a list of help so to speak: ShopTalk

Reactions: "Captain D"

Registered
Valve adjust is next up on my bike. Only maintenance item I haven't hit this year. Got to hot fast, no need to fooling around with the valves. I'll be maintenance free for a few years, except for oil changes.

Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles on the Fat Lady out of curiosity?
The Fat Lady (Hildr the Valkyrie) is coming up on 75,000 miles. I bought her when she was just a baby with around 9,000 miles. I'm the second owner.

Lot's of miles and smiles!

:)

Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
My garage is full of customers vehicles so my stuff is either outside or in my shipping container. My collection includes a 2010 Chrysler 300, a 2004 Hummer H2, a 1993 Miata LE, a 1993 Acura Integra, a 1983 toyota pickup, a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon a 2006 hyundai Tiburon, 2 2008 Tiburons, a 1984 Honda Shadow Vt500C, a 1983 Honda Goldwing, a 1979 Susuki GS1000, a 2002 Buell M2 Cyclone, a 2004 Artic Cat 400 ATV and a 1979 Polaris TX-c 340. Thats about it, for now.....

Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
My wife's car is in the garage with all my collected crap surrounding it.
Bike is in the shed in the back yard.

Registered
Garage?? Only rich folks got a Garage! :D
We have a barn, a pole barn, a tractor shed and lawnmowrr cover on our farm ;)
05 !300 VTX, 49 & 50 model 8Ns, 66 Ranchero, 66 & 65 Ironhead Sportsters, 96 V4 Magna, Two lawn mowers and Tools, with a drive on lift to work on them.> PLUS Whatever else is in need of repair...
I dunno IF I should be listing our Riches, for all to see... ;)

`Twas GREAT to RIDE today,
Dennis..

Oh and the 1986 - 14 ft trihull boat, a 12' row boat with a 1936 Sears Made Buccaneer 12HP motor & Our menagerie? Two barn cats, a Donkey, Chickens, Goats, rabbits, a goldfish pond & three hogs

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
If you name it, I probably have it in my garage. 3 MC's though, YX600 Radian, TW200, Spirit 1100.

Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
A picture says 1000 words right? Sorry for leaving out the pics. Thats so unlike me. Smh
16018610014412585218581918155074.jpg
16018608076324376259528457434697.jpg

This is what I can see from my house. I work out of the shop and thats my driveway. Theres a lot more out of view and a dirt bike track behind the tree.

Registered
The Pandemic has me all cleaned up and squared away due to pure bordum....
Even the garage is clean and organized, more than usual anyway

Even the workbench tops are clean & empty. But the Scoot is always ready and gettin used a lot!

Been doin PinStriping lately. The wife's good ole 2005 Ford FiveHundred went south recently. Was a good car, went 15yrs, 94K miles, never a prob(nothin!) - then Engine Light!, fixed, did it again, fixed - then 3rd time! - then Bye Bye Car, and we replaced it with low milage(14K) 2019 Taurus (almost the same car, just a newer version cause the wife feels safe in it) - an its a Nice car, a Smooth Glider, real nice Hiway car! (a steal of a deal commin off lease too) - so I had to make it Ours and Pin Stripe it!

Coulda put the pinstripe below the body crease line, but the tape stripe woulda been right above the door handle and vulnerable to easy damage when opening the door , so i put above body line - that works...

Pin Strip Practice!, came out pretty good. (aint perfect but good nuff...)
Hopefully, we'll get 15 years out this one too.
Oh Well, whats boredom gonna get me into next week?
(maybe a window tint - That'd be Nice! on White car... ( just a shade darker than legal but not enough to draw attn)

Registered
A picture says 1000 words right? Sorry for leaving out the pics. Thats so unlike me. Smh View attachment 290537 View attachment 290535
This is what I can see from my house. I work out of the shop and thats my driveway. Theres a lot more out of view and a dirt bike track behind the tree.
To me the most interesting thing you have there is the 300. It wouldn't mind hopping one of those up but I'm afraid I would would blow out a bunch of other stuff. Be warn Challengers have a bad habit of having all the parts being able to handle the horsepower of the factory engine but will blow apart rear ends etc. if you hop them up.

Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
To me the most interesting thing you have there is the 300. It wouldn't mind hopping one of those up but I'm afraid I would would blow out a bunch of other stuff. Be warn Challengers have a bad habit of having all the parts being able to handle the horsepower of the factory engine but will blow apart rear ends etc. if you hop them up.
That Chrysler is tough as nails! Ive put 200,000 kms on it since I bought it and only had to change brakes, tires and a battery in the last 7 years.
My favorite out of all of them is the Miata. Not only was it my dads baby, but it is a rare trim level known as the 25th Anniversary Edition (25th anniversary of Mazdas presence in Canada, not 25th anniversary of the Miata) It is a full option package minus A/C because who needs A/C on a canadian convertible? It sports a red leather interior that was only available for one year and only on this model ( 93 LE US model also had this interior for one year only) Factory bilstien suspension, factory BBS alloy wheels, a two pedestal "floating" spoiler that was only available in Canada and only on this trim package, and special aluminum trim panels on the doors. It is 1 of only 300 produced.
When my dad bought the car it was in rough shape. Of course, so was he, having just finished his first round of chemo. He had always wanted a Miata, which seems like a very attainable dream but with little money and many children it was just never practical. Impending mortality took practicality out of the equation.
He found the car online and flew to Victoria (900kms away) to pick it up and drove it back through the twisty mountain highways of BC.
As I said, the car was rough. The quarter panels were rusted out over the rear wheels. The front bumper had been hit and paint was falling off. Paint was flaking off the spoiler due to sun damage and the whole nose was crooked. Regardless, he loved that car.
After about a year life seemed good. My dads had been feeling pretty good and he was making big plans to start autocrossing his little sports car. He tore into some of his motorcycles and started ticking off his "to do" list. Then the bubble burst. Cancers a bitch who doesn't give up. He went in for more chemo. I asked him if I could borrow his car to take my wife away for the weekend. There was no trip. I spent the next 3 days in my shop for at least 12 hours a day. I had my brother, brother in law and even my son out there helping.
20180609_121836.jpg

When I picked him up from the hospital he was speechless. The car looked brand new. I told him that while I was powerless to do anything about his cancer, I sure as **** could cure his car.
He never did get to autocross it. In fact my mother says that their last drive in it was the scariest experience of her life. He was too weak and on heavy morphine. I am now caretaker of his car until the day that my son has to take over those duties but it will forever be his car.

Attachments

Registered
The Garage stays relatively clean & organized cause da Basement gets the dirty jobs (a good work area)...
The basement's only a partial 3 room finished area and some usable unfinished area.
The scoot lives in basement under a dropcloth thru winter (Thanksgiving to Easter)

I dug out & brick floored a good sized area of unfinished area for various extrastuff storage.
And there's always the Wild Child Charlie, the Red Tabby patrol cat with the TopCat Tail !!!
The neighbors think we keep a Fox around patrolin the property...
Am beginnin to really like retirement in Tennessee.... (it's a constant exersize plan)

Registered
It won`t be long now and I`ll be busy in my polebarn, installing my new chain & sprocket set I got this morning from HONDA... ;)
Re roofing my horse barn this week too,
Dennis

Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
With Winter fast approaching here in Michigan, it's time to put up my winter 'warm room' sized specifically for motorcycles and anything else that needs fixing. Inside is a 50,000 BTU gas furnace I installed to heat the area, which is 1/4 of my garage. Takes a few hours to put up, then seal it with 6 mil plastic sheeting. The door is 4' wide for getting bikes in and out.

Ordinarily, that half of the garage is for my '84 Monte Carlo SS when Spring comes and the warm room is taken down and stored away.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts