Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I've got an '87 1100C and it has this strange rubber thing on the end of the side stand. I cannot fathom what on earth it is for, does anyone know? As far as I can find out it was only on the 87 and 88 models, but it's purpose eludes me.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0285/step/step.bmp

Item 9 is the piece in question...but...the only thing I can say it does is act as a bumper for when the stand is up. It probably contacts the frame or mufflers. I am not sure why some models have them and other do not.

At least...that is my best guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spirit for diag, yes it is item 9, that is spot on.

But, isn't there always a but, it doesn't contact the bike at all - no frame contact and mufflers are on the other side.

Anyone got any ideas? If it's useless I wanna grind it off and clean up the stand.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The initial reason for having the little rubber do-dad is so that the kickstand has good contact with the pavement, preventing slipping if you park on a slope or something. It also is "supposed" to cause the kickstand to swing into it's "up" position if you should accidentally ride off without putting the stand up. I doubted this function, so I tried it several times on both my Nighthawk, and on my Shadow. It helped push the kickstand away from the groun, but it didn't push it enough to make it snap into it's fully "up" position. Maybe if I went around some tight turns it would do the trick, but I'm not that stupid! :wink:

In any case, that's the intended function of that rubber part. Your mileage may vary!

--Justin

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, interesting idea about it pushing the stand up, but (there it is again) it trails the stand, it doesn't lead it, so if it was going to "pop" the stand up if you rode off then its on the wrong side. You would think it would be on the front facing side of the stand but its on the rear facing side, as Spirit 1100's diagram shows.

I have tried wedging it under the stand on a hill or on dirt, and the bike just rolled off it back to good old metal.

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think tubes_rock is right. It's supposed to keep the sidestand from catching in a turn and dumping you. My bike has one too. The rubber is supposed to stick out far enough that it will catch the pavement first and push the stand back so that if you did keep turning the stand will go up instead of locking in the down position. Honda was trying to idiot proof the bikes a little bit, I think.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There is mention of the pad in the factory manual.
Check the rubber pad for deterioration or wear. Replace if any wear extends to wear line as shown.
Also
Note: When replacing use a rubber pad with the mark "Over 260 lbs. Only"
It can only wear if your trying to ride off with the stand down. Maybe leaving the stand down was a big problem back in the 80's. I've also noticed they only seem only to have the pad on bikes with both side stand and centre stands. :?:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks but not sure about the above.

The 87 and 88's didn't have centre stands (that I know of) and in the configuration it is, as shown in the diagram link above, if you rode off with the stand down the rubber wouldn't come near the ground as it follows the stand, it doesn't lead it....make sense? I cannot see how the rubber would touch the ground at all if you rode off with it down.

Even the manual doesn't describe what it does, other than replace it when it is worn to the line. By the way, I think the one on my bike is original and is no where near the line yet after 19 years.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It still extends below the end of the kickstand, doesn't it? If it does, then it will catch the ground before the metal and will pull the stand backwards. I'm almost positive that's the idea. Also, it will wear slowly each time you set the bike on the stand but probably wouldn't ever need to be replaced unless you drive off with it a lot.

Someone should try leaning their bike and pushing it a bit to see what happens, then imagine doing that a little bit faster (more momemtum...)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah I hear you on that one. I popped a previous bike when I took off with the stand down, talk about dancing around a corner!

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's a scary thought, trying to corner with the stand down. Could the rubber pad be there to help your boot 'grip' the sidestand when putting it down?

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I vaguely remember reading in (I think) the MOM for my 83 Nighthawk, that the rubber is there to help prevent the sidestand from sinking into whatever soft ground you park on.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Daver84 said:
There is mention of the pad in the factory manual. Check the rubber pad for deterioration or wear. Replace if any wear extends to wear line as shown.
I always wondered about that doo-dad too. This is all my manual says on the subject as well.

I will tell you that you can cut the rubber and the metal bracket holding it off the kickstand with no ill effect.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The consensus (and mind you that the consensus is often wrong in many matters...) from All Things Motorcycle is this:

"Older bikes have a rubber 'finger' extension at the tip of the stand that will wear over time. The purpose of that little 'finger' is to grab the pavement before the metal part of the stand itself does and ATTEMPT to pull the stand out of its locked position before it hits. There is a wear marker on these rubber extensions and when yours gets worn to that point it should be replaced because it no longer reaches the ground before the metal part of the side stand."

Maybe this fuels the fire, and maybe it will quiet this thread down, who knows? "The Shadow Knows!"

--Justin

·
Registered
934 Posts
tubes_rock said:
The consensus (and mind you that the consensus is often wrong in many matters...) from All Things Motorcycle is this:

"Older bikes have a rubber 'finger' extension at the tip of the stand that will wear over time. The purpose of that little 'finger' is to grab the pavement before the metal part of the stand itself does and ATTEMPT to pull the stand out of its locked position before it hits. There is a wear marker on these rubber extensions and when yours gets worn to that point it should be replaced because it no longer reaches the ground before the metal part of the side stand."

Maybe this fuels the fire, and maybe it will quiet this thread down, who knows? "The Shadow Knows!"

--Justin
I agree. I remember reading something similar and that the rubber had a wear indicator on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
All I know is that my old Nighthawk had one, and whatever it's purpose was, it didn't work! It didn't keep my stand from digging into hot asphalt when parked. It dang sure didn't raise the stand if you forgot to! I only forgot to raise the stand once. That rubber thingy didn't do it for me either. Luckily, I didn't drop the bike and, more importantly, no one saw me do it! :shock: 8)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
this little rubber thingamajig is there, as some have already stated, to prevent a spill in case of a take off with the stand in the down position.
That's it's only function. It will snap the stand closed when you lean to port. It was used on older machines.
You'll notice that newer bikes don't have this feature.
They don't need it because newer bikes kill the engine with a sidestand switch when you shift into gear with the stand down.
Therefore you can't take off with the side stand down.
Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone, this has been a bigger string than I thought.

From all the feedback it looks like the thing is pretty useless so I think I'll take it off and clean up the stand. One less "bit" to replace.

Thanks again to everyone that responded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will take the guess-work out of it. When it was new, the rubber stuck down well below the metal. It is probably bent from being parked. If you start riding with the kickstand down it would touch first causing the stand to kick back. It usually will not put it fully up but at least enough to be safe. If it has worn past the mark someone must have taken off with the stand down thousands of times and the little rubber thing would have saved them countless grief. Some other companies attached an additional cable from the clutch. Pulling the clutch lever would pull the stand up unless the bike was leaning on it. Then the clutch lever would be too hard to pull. Others had a switch that would kill the engine if the clutch is pulled or the bike is shifted into gear. All these methods to try to save us from ourselves. BTW, I have seen riders take off into a right turn then abruptly turn left with the stand down. Not pretty!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts