Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how else to say it other than... I'm left challenged! I've been riding a little over a year, a 750 Spirit. I feel like I'm doing pretty well, but I am finding that I am having trouble with going left... left turns, turning left from a stop, curves to the left. I tend to swing wide, and I'm just not comfortable turning left. I'm a little hesitant leaning that way. I also think that sometimes in trying to accelerate or maintain speed, I'm pulling on the right handlebar when using the throttle. I've tried to practice, but I'm not sure how to correct the problem. I don't have the same problem going right. Right turns "feel" right, I'm comfortable and it's almost natural. Going left is just the opposite, very unnatural and uncomfortable. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to get better going left?

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I think you will find most will have the same problem.....I feel the same way and may take left turns etc, just a tad slower than rights, you just have to learn to remind yourself the push pull technique more so for left hand turns...whatever..........

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i'm comfortable makin' both left and right hand turns. i actually like turnin' left better though, it feels more natural.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Interresting thought, do right handed people favor one turn over the other and is it the opposite for lefties? I am right handed and while I have no problems with either turn I "like" left turns best.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Interresting thought, do right handed people favor one turn over the other and is it the opposite for lefties? I am right handed and while I have no problems with either turn I "like" left turns best.
i don't have a problem with left or right turns, but i also "like" to turn left best.

i am also right handed.

i wonder if right handed people like left turns and the opposite for left handed people?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am also right handed and I prefer making left turns vs. right. I'm not sure why but I suspect that it's harder to roll on the throttle when the right handle bar and my hand is at an awkward position and near my body. At least I think that's what makes it harder for me to turn right.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am right handed. Would rather go left if I am having to make a sharp and very controlled turn.

On curves and wide turns it really makes no difference to me.

Learning to push to turn helps. Push the left grip forward to go left through a curve and push the right grip forward to go through a right curve.

Best remedy. A large clear parking lot and practice. The comfort comes with repetition....

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I'm left handed and left turns seem more fluid. I suspect mine is because I raced motorcycle flat track for a few years when I was young. All we ever did, was turn left.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have no preference turning on my bike. But, I do find it easier to carve a tight circle to the left on my snowmachine (snowmobile for you guys south of Canada).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I don't know how else to say it other than... I'm left challenged! I've been riding a little over a year, a 750 Spirit. I feel like I'm doing pretty well, but I am finding that I am having trouble with going left... left turns, turning left from a stop, curves to the left. I tend to swing wide, and I'm just not comfortable turning left. I'm a little hesitant leaning that way. I also think that sometimes in trying to accelerate or maintain speed, I'm pulling on the right handlebar when using the throttle. I've tried to practice, but I'm not sure how to correct the problem. I don't have the same problem going right. Right turns "feel" right, I'm comfortable and it's almost natural. Going left is just the opposite, very unnatural and uncomfortable. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to get better going left?

Thanks,
T
That's interesting, I've always had more issues with turning right than left, mostly because left turns are always wider than right turns (talking intersections here). But it's mostly a mind over matter thing for me. If I do what I'm supposed to do such as look where I want to go, smooth throttle, etc, I'm fine. When it comes to curves, I have no issues with left or right.

It sounds like you might have the same issue. Put it in your mind where you want to go, look where you want to go, press on your left grip (for the curves). For the left turns at intersections, are you possibly afraid of hitting a car (maybe one that's sitting at the turn lane in front of you, or the one to the left and you're afraid of cutting it too close) and that's why you're swinging wide?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
About the only thing I can think of is that your bike's traveling at a lesser speed making right turns from a standing stop than when you're making left turns from a standing stop, and it's more difficult to track the lanes. Whatever you do, with but just over a year experience, I don't recommend too much leaning turning left at an intersection. It looks more cool at that angle but if you have to emergency brake, you won't get your left foot down in time nor be able to support your bike's 500 pounds, as opposed to being more upright making the same left turn. How about closing either your left or right eye to see if it has an effect on your equilibrium during the problem left turn.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
In the US of A, where we drive on the "right" side of the roadways, a left hand turn on a roadway will always be of slightly larger turning radius therefore (theoretically) making left turns slightly easier. For our part, we are a bit more comfortable in left hand turns and we have always attributed that to the difference in turning radius.

We think rjtmac's idea is sound. Practicing pushing on the handlebar on the side to which you are turning (aka counter steering) is the ticket.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Here is an interesting twist, in the parking garage I prefer coming up , left turn, then going down, right turn, on the road I prefer right turns, and I am right handed.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I,m right handed and rather do the left turns. I quess turning left you have more lane for turning than you do when turning right. I have heard that when you turn you turn your head to where you want to turn to. I still have that trouble. Then again I could be wrong, I take suggestions from ours.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Get some soft pylons and practice in a large parking lot where you can get your speed up to a decent pace safely.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a couple of habits I'd picked up over the years that I knew were not right, and I read the sticky at the top of the forum called "riding tips for new and experienced riders". There's a ton of good stuff there, and it includes one on turning right or left from a stop including leaving a parking lot onto a street. I was swinging wide most of the time. There's a technique in there that cured me, hallelujah!!

That sticky is long but well worth the time to read it all.

Like the others said, once you're rolling, learn to use countersteering (pushing the left bar to turn left in a curve). It works, and can even save you from a wreck if you go into a curve too hot.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have no preference turning on my bike. But, I do find it easier to carve a tight circle to the left on my snowmachine (snowmobile for you guys south of Canada).
haha on my "snowmachine" I find it much easier to have throttle control when carving right.

On my motorcycle I havent yet noticed a difference when riding. Next time I am out Ill have to try some turns and see whats more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts