Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's the REALLY expensive version of a tracking app I used on my phone for years. The problem with an app on my phone is I frequently ride in areas with little to no cell service so this winter I caved and bout a SPOT Gen 3. $$$ And annual subscription. A lot of long distance riders use this. Now that I've joined those ranks on a regular basis...even though i have no one to "call home" to... still nice to have.

What did I use before SPOT? Well some of you may remember I had Google latitude setup but Goolge stopped that a few years ago. So up until I bought the Gen 3 I've been using Bubbler GPS, the free version works well enough! Great form my Android phone.

When I was foolish enough to have an iPhone I used SWconnect.

great... but how to I get all these things to show where I am? Easy... SpotWalla!
Another FREE service...

So...whether you just want to let your loved one know where you are, or like this up-coming "HSN Dragon Day" where I hope to talk anyone going to load one of these up and post your link so all of HSN can watch us converge on each other....

Enough talk, time to ride.

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Yeah.. I'm getting one of those when I get my Adv Bike.. If I have fallen and can't get up out in the boonies, I want to be able to call for help before the bears, tigers, and marmots come to chew on me some. ;)

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I'm trying to figure this out. The tracking map....is that the url you are supposed to post?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I sure wish there was a cheaper alternative to SPOT. Now that I have the KLX250 I'll be riding more up in the cell service-less nat'l forest and like Mark-B I'm less than wildly enthusiastic about becoming a bear's snack if I fall off and can't get up.

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
I sure wish there was a cheaper alternative to SPOT. Now that I have the KLX250 I'll be riding more up in the cell service-less nat'l forest and like Mark-B I'm less than wildly enthusiastic about becoming a bear's snack if I fall off and can't get up.
When I was looking for bike-alarms I came a across a Scorpio unit with GPS which logs routes for you online and can also forward your GPS location to a cellphone etc.. All kinds of cool stuff..

In case of catastrophic-fun-failure it would give last point of contact before the unit failed, at least.. It won't alert rescue services with a push of a button, but it's a cool tool to make sure that people can easily find you..

Cheaper monthly fees too.. $11.00 a month??

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying to figure this out. The tracking map....is that the url you are supposed to post?
After you create your SpotWalla account, load the device into the account and create a trip, the trip URL is what you share.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
After you create your SpotWalla account, load the device into the account and create a trip, the trip URL is what you share.
Cool. I have the trip set up from April 2nd at noon to April 4th at 6pm. Should cover me for the entire trip.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Connect the dots....
Makes it easier to see your track vs just where you are /have been. on a longer trip it looks much better. This was just a quick 30 miler.

You will want to run a test ride or two to make sure you have the phone and the spotwalla account setup right before your real trip.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The SPOT is actually more of a budget priced communicator. I used one for years but recently changed over to the DeLorme inReach communicator. It's a bit pricier but features 2-way communication while the SPOT only allows one way comms. I had need of mine this last weekend and it worked like a charm. It's worth checking out if it falls in your budget.

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
The SPOT is actually more of a budget priced communicator. I used one for years but recently changed over to the DeLorme inReach communicator. ...
Man, those are nice! .. I just added one to my wish list :D

In case of emergency, it would be nice to have confirmation the good-guys are on the way at least.. Also, if all you need is a trailer, you could get the misses to Jeep one out to you instead of hoofing it back the whole 50 miles to civilization..

Yup.. .. I'll likely go this route.. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Man, those are nice! .. I just added one to my wish list :D

In case of emergency, it would be nice to have confirmation the good-guys are on the way at least.. Also, if all you need is a trailer, you could get the misses to Jeep one out to you instead of hoofing it back the whole 50 miles to civilization..

Yup.. .. I'll likely go this route.. Thanks for the post!

I don't know how to attach a thread link, but I wrote a bit of a thread yesterday about putting my inReach to use this last weekend. What I really liked about it was knowing my messages were being received and the folks receiving them could ask some clarifying questions.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Spot locators are in heavy use up here as well as sat phones. Almost a neccesity depending on what you do. Back country "country food" almost demands it. A lot of the natives (indians) default on their bills and get shut down. They still carry their sat phones and if overdue we are able to reactivate them to find out where they are and how they are for SAR.

Dingo.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A lot of good info. I actually followed Canyon's lead when he introduced the forum to SWConnect and Spotwalla some time ago. I have been a user ever since, and it works well for me. I can see how something better would be needed with coverage issues, but for now, it works well. I send a link to dw when I go on a longer ride and she can keep tabs on me (I don't think she has ever checked it tho ;))

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I've been using a SPOT II for about five years.

Yeah, I used to gripe a bit when that yearly payment for the service is due, but I always ante up. I remember my pre-SPOT days: My wife is not a worrier and she doesn't expect me to check in by the hour, but I don't enjoy spending what should be a quiet night's rest at my campsite desperately searching for a phone instead because I told her I'd check in when I arrived, only to find there was no cellular service.

Yeah, I've done that. :sad:

I don't think of it primarily as a rescue device. Rather, just a simple quick way to let my significant others know I'm OK when I'm far and away.

The cost? Paid once per year it seems high. When I break it down to cost per month, I realize it's a small price for some real peace of mind, not just for me, but for those at home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.