1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Shadow Spirit 1100
my stock battery has trouble starting her
if she doesnt start by the second try......thats it shes done

Is there a replacement battery with alot more cranking amps?
I have no clue whats in it now,Honda installed the battery a year ago,its a sealed mait. free type

also i assuming that my bike has an h-4 type headlight bulb,is that correct?Its a stock headlight

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
get a Deka.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I bought the scorpion for my bike also, great battery, the one in the first link has even better specs,

one word of caution if your ordering from the guys in the links, they do put you on a spam list, best bet is to order over the phone and not give them your e-mail address, or ask to NOT be added when you order

·
Read Only
2,715 Posts
I always wondered which is the better battery; AGM or Gel? I would think the Lithium/Ion is the best, but those are also quite a bit more expensive (about double or triple what another battery costs), and I know all of those are better than a Lead/Acid battery. Need to get a new battery, quick, and want to get the most "bang" for my "buck". Right now, my options are:
Outdo YTZ14S 12V/11.2Ah/290CCA Gel for about $49 shipped (from Dallas)
Mighty Max YTZ12S 12V/11.2Ah/210CCA AGM for $31 shipped (from Brooklyn) (weighs 7.9#)
Adventure Power YTZ12S 12V/15Ah/230CCA AGM for $36 shipped (from US)
Mighty Max YTZ14S 12V/11.2Ah/230CCA AGM for $36 shipped (from Brooklyn) (weighs 8.6#)
KMG YTZ14S 12V/9.5Ah/230CCA AGM for $33 shipped (from Niagra Falls)
Caltric 12V/11.2Ah/230CCA AGM for $32 shipped (from CA)

I was also considering these Lithium Ions, but they're a bit out of my price range:
Powersports (same as YTZ14S, but includes built in battery tester) 12V/12Ah/280CCA (LiFe sealed) for $99 shipped (from FL) (weighs 1.1#)
Battery Tender BTL14A240C 12V/10A/240CCA (LiFePO4-quad terminals) for $99 shipped (from IN) (weighs 1.7#)

Since I ride all year round, I need a battery with a lot of CCAs, so was leaning toward the Adventure Power AGM with 230CCA for $36 or the Outdo Gel with 290CCA for $49. I'm just not sure if the AGM is better than the Gel, or if it's the other way around.

All help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
I just googled OutDo batteries and I don't think they are really a gel battery. It says they are lead/acid battery so there is maintenance involved. True gel batteries will not outperform AGM batteries. Stick with AGM batteries.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,028 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I believe *gel* batteries is used for motorized wheel chairs, so forth. Their advantage is that they can be discharged to zero and still be charged up again without degrading the battery, but the gel solution something about not able to weather high vibration on a daily basis. Unless you get the real expensive gels, they're not designed for motorcycles. AGM doesn't use a gel solution. Acid is absorbed by fiberglass mats but they still use liquid acid something like that. The *G* in AGM doesn't mean *gel* (absorbtion glass mats).

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
A lot of this comes down to your personal definition of the term "BEST"

VARTA batteries are some of the toughest (https://www.amazon.com/Varta-Charged-Motorcycle-Battery-VTX20HL/dp/B00K7HDB98). They're made by Johnson Controls, very comparable to Optima performance batteries (Red Top, Yellow Top, Blue Top) and not terribly expensive. They're not very popular, but people who own them absolutely swear by them (I have one in the Valk now).

Yuasa listed above is great (https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM6R...qid=1468623367&sr=1-2&keywords=Yuasa+YTX14-BS)! A little cheaper than the VARTA, almost as tough, and a long reputation for being incredibly reliable. Like the VARTA, most people who have one will always have one.

Scorpions are less expensive yet, very good, highly recommended by those who use them. Newer company, but seem to be doing things very well.

Cheap batteries have their place, as well. When you're troubleshooting or stranded and you NEED a battery you don't care about, get a Wal-Mart "Super-Star-ter" or whatever they're called. It's better than a known-dead battery, and at least it's cheap. Are you looking for the BEST CHEAP battery? Because that's NOT the Scorpion, Yuasa, or the Varta.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Been riding for over 40 years and this is the best battery I've ever had in a bike.
LFX18L1-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries
This has been in my '98 VT-1100 T for three years and starts my bike every time. Never had to jump or put a charger on it, ever. It has started my bike in temps from 23F to 108F first time every time.
Cheap it ain't, but it starts my bike like no other battery has.

ROD

·
Read Only
2,715 Posts
Are you looking for the BEST CHEAP battery? Because that's NOT the Scorpion, Yuasa, or the Varta.
YES, that's what I'm looking for. Did you look at the ones I linked? They were all being shipped from within the US, though some looked more like cheap Chinese knockoffs. I probably need to get mine pretty quick, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have an 83 750 shadow (the t shaped battery) i refused to put this type battery back in it... i went to atbatt.com and ordered a 18amp hour agm battery for around $35 been using it for about a year and a half now. it was a tight fight but mounted it on luggage rack inside the sissy bar bag mounting loop for my bag (not inside the bag).

i used #10 twisted wire to extend the battery connections to the original cables.

they do have larger size batteries as well. they do give the physical size of the battery in the description. who knows may have a bigger one that will slip right into the spot made for it.

i just couldn't bring myself to buy a battery that is overpriced and under performs so i took a chance and it seems to have been a good one.

be well and good riding

·
Registered
878 Posts
I just replaced my battery last year. During the winter it was inside and on a trickle charger. The other day I ran the carb dry and my battery almost didn't have enough power to get the bike started. The battery in question is the t shaped power sport battery. Can a fit a regular shaped agm battery in the bike where my battery is located?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lithium

I went to a Lithium Battery Tender Battery and haven't had a problem since.... A lot smaller size and it comes with a charger. A bit more pricey then a reg battery but I think its worth it.......:nerd:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Took my battery in to be load tested today. I don't think the performed a load test. They hooked it up to a gadget that told them the battery was good but only 45% charged. Test only took 10 seconds. Is that a load test? I thought a load test took an hour. Thought the load test consists of fully charging the battery before the test. battery is less than a year old. I know now, I should have gotten an agm last year but even a conventional should last longer than a year. Advice?...

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
@Steve C is correct:
BatterySharks roxx!

We own & use 3. Have ordered 6 more over time, for family & neighbors.
All work just as well or better than the brand name batteries at $100+.

I believe since we bought ours, the price has gone up to around $50 shipped.

< If it's too loud, you're too old. >

1 - 20 of 38 Posts