Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for imput from the smaller guys and gals out there.

My story goes like this. I rode and raced off road as a kid and had a 440 LTD in my 20's. At that time the speed limit was 55 on the interstate. I'm now 50yrs old 5'7" 155lbs. Last spring I bought a VLX to get started on again. I've rode over 2,200 miles and loved it except on the interstate (speed limit is now 70mph). So I've decided I need a different bike for my commutes to work and short rides in the country side. My commute to work is 23 miles 18 of which is interstate. With the VLX I took the back rodes as much as possible since I don't enjoy riding it above 65mph. I've been able to ride my sisters Aero 750 and it was fine at a steady 72mph but still seemed like it needed a sixth gear. I'm not sure how it would be long term but my sister loves it and doesn't want a bigger bike. My brother in-law has a VTX 1300S and I wont ride it because it just feels to big for me. I do like the looks of the Ace and Sabre but have not been on either.

If you ride a bike bigger than my 600 and are happy with it in all situations. Please tell me what your riding and why it works for a small person.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give
Mike

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
About the same size as you, and have an 04 Sabre, see it below, and it fits me like a dream! To me it is the finest bike for money above all others!

·
Registered
661 Posts
i ride a 2007 shadow spirit. i can sit comfortably with a bend in my knee.

i already want a bigger bike. just for power... like 1100 or 1300... i mean fun. ;)

:edit:
oh and i'm about your size too. but probably in better shape (ugh... i didn't want to use another smiley)

my advice is to test ride the 1300 if you can. does it have engine guards? if so, don't worry.
i rode my bro-in law's 1100 harley before i bought my bike and i was fine. barely finished the moto saftey class, like a week before.

·
Registered
434 Posts
'99 Spirit 1100

5' 6" 30" inseam (on a good day with proper boots...haha).

Sits a bit taller than the Sabre I think, but basically a very similar bike except for slight difference in gearing, wheels, and handlebars. I would have taken either one, but found the Spirit first.

I can flat foot it.

Riding position is "ok", may take some getting used to coming from the 600. When I first sat on it, it felt like my feet wouldn't reach the pegs. I've gotten used to it and it's quite comfortable for me. I do wish the pegs sat back a wee bit more, but I can certainly live with it as-is.

It can handle 2-up riding very well.

It is heavy enough to take to the interstate without getting blown all over the place, but not so heavy it's difficult to move around the driveway etc.

Power is "ok" for a cruiser (I guess? Every other bike I've owned has been quicker, but not necessarily "better" for what I need nowadays).

There are a fair amount of aftermarket accessories to keep it interesting and comfortable.

No major body part is plastic-fenders and side covers are metal. Means something to me (I'm just not fond of plastic fenders or covers on a cruiser) may not bother others.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
you can switch out the stock 44 tooth sprocket and go to a 41 tooth, makes the gears that we have on the vlx much taller, btw, same weight as you.

I did this a few years ago, works great with our personal weights, I can wind it out in 3rd to 70mph then hit 4th. Cruises at 70 or better much less buzzier.

·
Registered
598 Posts
i have a 86 shadow 1100vt ... its a biiig bike, but it rides like a dream ... im 5 10 and 180 lbs ... i wish it was a little smaller ( it SHALL be done soon ) and a little more nimble, but very happy with it ... there has been a time or two when i thought my foot would never hit ... steep hills suck ... but most of the heigth issues can be solved easily by minor adjustments ... as for finding comfort on the interstate ...

i had a 07 rebel 250cc ... i would get blown all over the place ... it was terrrible and didnt always have the guts to get me out of tight situations ... but the 1100 if im not comfy, its all there in the wrist ... i can speed up or slow down ... but i know the power is there if i want or need it at ANY time ... and that is the most imoprtant part to me ...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Refer to Old Dad's post about the sprocket change.

I ride a SS750 and am a big guy (280 lbs) and run on the highway fine. It is wound up as it is a shaft and I can't change the sprocket, but it runs fine. I commute 70 miles a day on 70+ mph highways and it really doesn't bother me anymore.

·
Registered
480 Posts
1100 Spirit. 5'8" 170, got atleast 15 yrs on you. Easy to handle, even 2 up. Got a little S40, 650 thumper. Nice ride solo, no go 2 up. It'll run 70 all day. And they are really cheap. Good luck with your search. Hyabusa????naaaa. Just another quick thought, buddy had 1100 Sabre, I tried it several years back and thought it handled like a tank. The seating and bar on the Spirit work great for me. Fit is rea important. Again good luck.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sounds like the Sabre might be better for you if you find the 750 too buzzy/busy @ 70 mph. I have an '05 750 Aero and have gotten used to the revs at that speed and easily do 300-500 mile trips without any issues.

It fits my 5'6" frame just right, even better with the footboards I installed last week - seating posture is a bit more upright with the 'boards.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sounds like the Sabre might be better for you if you find the 750 too buzzy/busy @ 70 mph. I have an '05 750 Aero and have gotten used to the revs at that speed and easily do 300-500 mile trips without any issues.

It fits my 5'6" frame just right, even better with the footboards I installed last week - seating posture is a bit more upright with the 'boards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 5'2" I weigh a bit more than the rest of you. I ride an '07 Shadow Spirit (VT750) she'll cruise @ 70 mph and still have enough throttle (with no downshift) to get me out of trouble (not that I get into trouble). I don't know about the whole gearing stuff (my mate does the gearing and all on our 4x4's). I just know my bike is good for what I need her to do.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for imput from the smaller guys and gals out there.

If you ride a bike bigger than my 600 and are happy with it in all situations. Please tell me what your riding and why it works for a small person.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give
Mike

SV-650 weighs less than 400 lb. Standard, no problems on highways May feel a bit like bikes you've had before, known as a poor mans Ducati.

Ninja 650R. Standard, parallel twin, fun to ride with nice highway manners.

VT1100 Spirit or Saber does highways well and very little maintenance.

Yamaha 950 or Kawasaki 900 series, nice looking and FI.

Harley Sportster 883 or 1200 really fun to ride and very low seat may also lead to a future Super Glide.

Actually all bikes are a lot of fun to ride you just need to find what fits you and makes you feel comfortable or exhilarated.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
hwsmike:
We are almost precisely your size and weight, but a few years older. Based on our own experience we think there are no cruisers that are "too big" for you to ride comfortably. The only real issues you may have will be that the larger bikes are more inconvenient to push around in the garage. Once in motion, there is little practical difference between a 500lb motor bike and a 800lb motor bike. Arrange to test ride a few and you will see for yourself.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
In the Honda lineup I'd go with an 1100 Spirit because it will get better gas mileage over the Sabre, which is geared lower.

I owned as Sabre, great bike but I found it a bit buzzy on the slab at 70. Plus the cast front wheel is like a sail in cross winds and that isn't just an issue with Sabre but most bikes with wheels like that. BTW, I'm 5'11' with a 30" inseam and about 190.

Someone mentioned the HD Sportster, either 883 or 1200 might do the trick and used ones are generally pretty cheap. They even have lowered versions for the ladies and inseam challenged guys....also available in pink if you want to make a statement....g

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: I commute 80 miles a day on a 750 Aero. Runs like a top. Sits low. I'm 5'9" and 175lbs. It's plenty of bike. :-D

·
Banned
912 Posts
See my sig for my bikes details. I'm 5'5'', 160 lbs, and have C.M.T. Muscular Dystrophy. I commute 38 miles a day, sometimes freeway (70-80mph), sometimes surface streets depending on mood/time limitations. The bike is a perfect fit for me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I should add that I changed out the risers for the Spirit (I think) risers, and also changed the handlebars to bring them back closer to me. All found at a local wrecking yard and in pristine condition. Cost was minimal, and only took about an hour to change due to running the cables behind the tripletree! I firmly believe that the Sabre is the best bike on the road (For me). I do love the full fenders and its lines.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.