Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Dallas in the morning (Saturday, 1/10/2015) to, hopefully purchase a new, leftover 2013 Honda Shadow Spirit...

Been six years since my last bike (2007 Star Raider). I had a 2006 Honda Spirit 1100. It was one of the most comfortable riding bikes I've ever owned, and the stock seat was incredible. However, at speeds of 70+ mph the motor was wound up tight, with buzzing in the handgrips and footpegs.

Will I expect to see the same buzzing, or worse with the 750 spirit?

Thanks fellow Shadow members.

... Lennie

·
Registered
52 Posts
howdy, I can't speak to the newer ones but my '04 aero appears to be turning and churning and real busy at that speed. it is a 750 also.

ken

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I'll leave it at this: you're going to want to ride it before you buy it. Don't be surprised if it's worse than your old bike.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My 06 aero is a dream to ride, but I will say at 70+, yea, it is pretty buzzy at times. I know it will run like that all day without harm though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input fellas... Pretty much what I expect.
But my riding will mostly be country, rural stuff. 50, 60 mph most times. I prefer the relaxed stuff. But on those occasions where I'm going on long rides I'm sure I'll be hitting some expressways.

Interesting side note... I know a guy that lives in Las Vegas. He has a 2003 Spirit with almost 30,000 miles on the clock. In 2011 he packed up (tent, camping gear, etc) and rode 4,000 miles through six states over a 14 day period. Covered all kinds of hiways and byways, without issue or problem. Camped out the whole trip. Simply amazing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't feel buzzing at 70 on my Phantom. Maybe I am too new to be keenly aware of such things, shrug. I don't even think the motor sounds too bad even at 80, much less 70. Now, the one time I had it at 90 it was definitely working its little japanese heart out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the input fellas... Pretty much what I expect.
But my riding will mostly be country, rural stuff. 50, 60 mph most times. I prefer the relaxed stuff. But on those occasions where I'm going on long rides I'm sure I'll be hitting some expressways.

Interesting side note... I know a guy that lives in Las Vegas. He has a 2003 Spirit with almost 30,000 miles on the clock. In 2011 he packed up (tent, camping gear, etc) and rode 4,000 miles through six states over a 14 day period. Covered all kinds of hiways and byways, without issue or problem. Camped out the whole trip. Simply amazing!
Likewise down here in lower Texas. I just love to get back on them FM's and ride all day long. I don't mind at all jumping on 45 at times and winding it out, but this 750 is perfect for my laid back riding style anyway.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Your 1100 was buzzy at 70???? That just doesn't sound right, at 70 mine is at a comfortable RPM moving along with plenty to get up and get out of the way, as for the buzzing in thebars, Just about every V-Twin will do that to some extent, I put the Kury ISO grips and made some at end weights and that eliminated that compleatly.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Likewise down here in lower Texas. I just love to get back on them FM's and ride all day long. I don't mind at all jumping on 45 at times and winding it out, but this 750 is perfect for my laid back riding style anyway.
I attend the British Motorcycle Owners Association rally every year in New Ulm, near La Grange. Nothing in that area of the state but farm-to-market roads down there. On my way back to DFW I'm in no hurry so I just head off in the general direction and pay no attention to which road or where it goes. I've always found my way back home. Late, but so what?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I spent 1000 miles with my '05 750 from Minneapolis to Sturgis & back last August. I have numerous upgrades to boot. Vibration was far down the list of problems, but it was always there.

But, I'm 6'3 and 275lbs. I'm physically too big for this bike.

Two weeks later, I bought a '99 Valkyrie IS. Problem solved.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Beezer, I like your navigation system. I've done that myself, if the suns up I can roughly tell compass direction. It's fun to explore new roads that way. You get home when you get home. It's a new adventure each time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
howdy yup jwinker, I had similar reaction when I rode my kymco 250 scooter on several 300 plus mile days and came home and bought an m50 Suzuki --couldn't wait to get off that scooter---was miserable---way too cramped--it wasn't even the engine size that was the problem--it was the no way to change position till every bump made my ears hurt---

ken

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
LLLL I loaded my 750 and took off for Sturgis in 2011:D
5400 miles round trip...
(Pics of gear loaded, in the Sturgis thread)
I am unfamiliar with newer models, other than what I read here...

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Your 1100 was buzzy at 70???? That just doesn't sound right, at 70 mine is at a comfortable RPM moving along with plenty to get up and get out of the way, as for the buzzing in thebars, Just about every V-Twin will do that to some extent, I put the Kury ISO grips and made some at end weights and that eliminated that compleatly.

I agree except I get no handlebar buzzing at any speed.. we'll see if that changes once the apes go on.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,445 Posts
+1. Same setup as Dauntae. :D The 1100 "twin pin" motors are probably the smoothest of most vtwins no matter the brand. Can't speak for the VTX 1800 motor which is also "twin pin".

If you want smooth you need a 6 cyl. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buzz no more...

Well gang... I visited Dallas Honda first thing this morning and made my decision. :wink:

I bought a new 2014 Honda CTX700NDE - this is the non-faring model, but has the DCT auto trans and ABS.

Short of getting the rolling living room (Goldwing), this one is, by all reports, silky smooth.

Thanks to all the Thread contributors for their input and assistance.

Ride safe no matter what's between your legs...

... Lennie

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Well gang... I visited Dallas Honda first thing this morning and made my decision. :wink:

I bought a new 2014 Honda CTX700NDE - this is the non-faring model, but has the DCT auto trans and ABS.

Short of getting the rolling living room (Goldwing), this one is, by all reports, silky smooth.

Thanks to all the Thread contributors for their input and assistance.

Ride safe no matter what's between your legs...

... Lennie

No pics.......didn't happen! ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I don't feel buzzing at 70 on my Phantom. Maybe I am too new to be keenly aware of such things, shrug. I don't even think the motor sounds too bad even at 80, much less 70. Now, the one time I had it at 90 it was definitely working its little japanese heart out.
Same for me with my 2013 Aero. Certainly no problem at 70 or 80. And I weigh 240lbs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts