Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2005 750 Aero, low miles for $4,000

Also a 2002 750 Ace 2700 miles $3,000 with chain drive.

Both have windshields, sissy bar, the '02 has bags, both very clean.

Which appears to be a better deal also thing if I want to sell in a year to upgrade. The dealer is saying that any ACE is worth more than the later models?

What is the ACE all about?

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
LI Pets said:

Which appears to be a better deal also thing if I want to sell in a year to upgrade. The dealer is saying that any ACE is worth more than the later models?

LI Pets,
I'm not knocking shaft-drives but with the smaller displacement 750cc engine, the chain-driven ACE will outperform the shaft-driven Aero every time!

The only drawback is the chain maintenance which is really not that big a deal......but on the plus side; with a chain drive you can easily and inexpensively swap sprockets to change your final drive ratio to match your riding style. A larger rear sprocket for city riding, or a smaller rear sprocket for highway riding. Try that with a shafty?

I say go with the ACE!
Phil

·
Registered
448 Posts
LI Pets said:

They both sound nice, however. You didn't mention the miles on the 2005. The 2005 in a year from now would be a better bike to sell or trade, it's 3 years younger than the ACE.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The '05 has just over 3200 miles.

What is the significance of the ACE?

What does an ACE have the the newer ones don't?

The fact that the '02 is an ACE make it worth any more?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong. ACE stands for American Classic Edition. It is what the 750 "classic" looking bikes were called until they switched to shaft drive in, I think, 2004. Then they called the bike the Aero. Basically the same bike, just one is chain drive and one is shaft drive.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i too have an aero and think they are the same bike with the exception of a few minor differences and the major difference of chain or shaft drive, but as stated earlier the aero will be 3 years younger next year than the ace, i like my areo so i say go with the aero.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I say go with the ACE and pocket the grand. In a few years there'll be a slightly higher resale value with the aero, but not enough to warrant an extra $1k right now.

Buy the ace and put the extra $$ towards a helmet and proper riding gear ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
The ACE and AERO are similar, but they are not the same bike. As has been mentioned, there is the ACE's chain vs the AERO's shaft. The ACE has 2 carbs to the AERO's one. They have different air cleaner covers. The AERO's fenders are bigger than the ACE's, and (in my opinion :) ) that makes the ACE look better. I also like the ACE's curved fender rails instead of the AERO's straight ones. Both are good, reliable bikes, and both of the ones you mentioned sound fairly reasonably priced. The AERO is slightly more maintenance free, the ACE is more tweakable. Pick the one you like. Personally, I'd get the ACE.

I bet you never thought buying a bike would be so hard. :) There are lots of choices, none of them really bad. Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is merely subjective. It depends what you really like in the style of a bike.

I own an ACE and love it, but I am sure that you will get the same response from the AERO owners. Sit on the bikes, feel the balance, look at them from all angles. Do you like the lower profile of the AERO and the fuller fenders, or do you prefer the stance of the ACE with the retro styling.

The 2002 ACE has more chrome, but these items are available at an additional cost to you if you decide on the AERO. If you like to trick out your ride, the extra $1000 would allow you to buy some items that I wanted to have: a lightbar, a nice set of pipes, an engine guard and perhaps, some decent pegs, grips and mirrors.

As mentioned, the chain is no big deal to maintain. Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with either the ACE or the AERO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Money aside I think I need to get them side by side and compare.

I know the '05 is good price at $4,000 but is the '02 a good price at $3,000 or should it be less due to age?

To really keep me confused a dealer just dropped his "out the door price" on a new Aero to just under $6,000.

·
Registered
539 Posts
LI Pets said:
Money aside I think I need to get them side by side and compare.
If you do that, you'll get the Aero. :lol:

I know the '05 is good price at $4,000 but is the '02 a good price at $3,000 or should it be less due to age?
The '05 is a good buy. Not so much for the '02. Bikes in good condition tend to bottom out around $3,000 no matter how old.

To really keep me confused a dealer just dropped his "out the door price" on a new Aero to just under $6,000.
Get 'em to drop it another $500 and that's what I paid out the door for mine (new in '06).

·
Registered
628 Posts
AERO_HEAD said:
The '05 is a good buy. Not so much for the '02. Bikes in good condition tend to bottom out around $3,000 no matter how old.
If that's true, the ACE is the better buy because it won't depreciate any further.

Not to start an ACE / AERO war, but to me the AERO looks like it's trying too hard to be retro, but the ACE just looks goooood! :D :D :D

As I said above, both are good bikes. It boils down to which you like better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally, I like shaft drive, quieter, minimal maintenance, cleaner.....both bikes tend to hold their value, 1K for a 3yr newer bike would be my choice....Mick

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'd go with the ACE. Haggle on the price. Use the money saved to buy belt drive from scootworks and go on your way.

My 750 ACE took me 55K without any problems. The guy that bought it from me would probably still be riding without any problems had he not wrecked it.

--BB

·
Registered
448 Posts
Personally I feel bad for LI Pets as we may have made the choice that much harder. Not that all the information provided isn’t useful, it is and should be considered.

We may have been more helpful to say pick the color you like best.

There is no debate here they are both awesome machines.

Who was it that said; “Can’t we all just get along?”

(I hope they are different colors, if not somebody may need to draw straws):lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
LI Pets said:

Whattttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????
At those prices I would buy them both, and any more you can get on an airplane and ship them to England. They would EEEEEEZZZZILLLy fetch $10,000 each here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the ACE has a single pin crankshaft vs the Aero dual pin. I have heard the ace is the only bike out there that will sound like a harley if you change the pipes to aftermarket, if that's important to you.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts