Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Style vs. Substance

Most signature pics will tell the story. i'm definitely on the style side. almost everything that makes riding more comfortable, i don't care for. i'd like a windscreen, but i'm sacrificing eating a few bugs for the sake of looks. i like the solo saddle, but it has its obvious set backs. i think most stock seats look best, but lack the comfort of the $$$ mustangs etc. You can't eat chrome, but it sure looks good on a motorcycle. saddle bags? don't care for the looks, but those i find a necessity. highway bars? don't like the look, but sure understand the safety issue. Pipe? thats a whole nether issue. good or bad, i like em loud ( but not obscene ) and proud.
I think that's what makes biking interesting. cars are for the most part utilitarian. Bikes are about self expression.

Public service announcement- these are only the opinion of the author, and are in no way meant to disrespect any other members.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I like my Tourer the way I got it from the factory, with the exception of front floor boards. sometimes I pull off the windshield, but I ride to work at 3:30 am, so it works for me to leave it on.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I like the windshield for all the obvious reasons... Bugs are an acquired taste, that I'm not very fond of. And, I don't like rocks, pebbles, dust, debris, bugs, birds, or any other objects hitting me at 70 mph. :shock::eek:

I like the solo set-up cuz the wife won't get on it. But the other bike is set up for her if she decides to. I like all the Kuryakyn stuff cuz it's comfortable and looks good. Kuryakyn powerpoint for the power to the GPS, and a lighter if I need it, etc. Bags for stuff. Backrest for comfort.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I like my Tourer the way I got it from the factory, with the exception of front floor boards. sometimes I pull off the windshield, but I ride to work at 3:30 am, so it works for me to leave it on.

+1 for my cruiser with the exception of adding highway bars and light bar, ride to work at 0545. Substance

Bought the Liner as a commuter work bike not Azz Jewelry.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Ride your own ride is what it's all about, there are many who sacrifice function for form, I have in the past myself. I find I prefer some creature comforts, like a full traveling suspension rather then a kidney jarring rigid frame, brakes on both front and rear, ignitions that advance themselves, a little button instead of large kicker, no sissy bars though the Tour Pack has replaced that. Large saddle bags, but I actually want the Bat Wing more for looks then need,

·
Registered
298 Posts
I head to work at 5 am. It's a 25 mile commute. I live in deer and varmint country and apparently, theres always a bug convention in town. For me a windshield is mandatory. I'd really like to add some auxiliary lighting sometime, for extra safety, it's just not in the budget.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
My bike is my horse.

It has to take me and my stuff to work, and it has to take me and my gear out to play: Touring and camping.

So...

Saddlebags to carry stuff in, Sissy bar/rack/pillion seat to carry stuff on and strap stuff to. Windshield...I like riding without it for the most part, but it's nice on the highways.

Otherwise, It will probably remain mostly stock.

Not art. :cool:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My bike takes me back and forth daily but style over substance umm no comment

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used to be all about form. The bike was always spotless. Every new bauble or bead bought for it was scrutinized for the bling factor as well as (or in deference to) function. Spending 3 or 4 hours on a Saturday or Sunday with a can of Nevr-Dul, Mother's Wax, and a toothbrush cleaning and polishing it were bliss. The echos of people saying, "Wow, nice bike" was music to my ears.

It helped a lot that my first wife was a Biatch On Wheels and if I was outside working on the bike, I didn't have to listen to her.

Now that I live in the middle of nowhere and have to ride 2 miles of caliche road to get to my house, and 25 miles to town, my perspective has changed a bit. Add to that the fact that Wife 2.0 is actually my best friend and I actually enjoy spending time with her, my focus has changed to reflect a sticker a friend has under the hood of his Street Rod:

Ignore the bugs
Forget the chips
This ain't no Trailer Queen
I RIDE this biatch

·
Registered
673 Posts
YOu can tell your self it is a work horse. But it isn't, it is a motorcycle, and as such, it is style. If you wanted a work horse, a small car like a yaris would get as good of mileage, haul more stuff, be more comfortable and cost about the same.

You bought a bike because of the way it looked. I know I did. Besides, I am to pretty to drive a Yaris or an ugly bike.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Function over forrm - I may have bought a seat with conchos because they matched the saddlebags, but that is the extent of paying for items for the sole purpoose of looks.

Heck I ride a Vstrom now and by definition that is function over ugly........ :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
My bike is my daily transportation, If I need to carry anything with me it goes in a pocket or gets bungee corded to the rear seat, I do not use saddlebags, full face helmets, highway bars, radio, Fairings or anything that will make it more car like.

Guess I'm old school, just like being on a bike, and being in the wind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have both saddlebags as well as a windshield. I detest both. Personal preference. I'm a less is more kinda guy anyways. Therefore, it makes sense for me. To each, his/her own.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I mod and try to personalize the bike a bit. I think of bikes as a more primal form of transportation, rolling art reflecting our personalities. A custom build or a well done mod job will always catch my eye. I'll always stop and stare. We're not cookie cutter kind of people, why ride cookie cutter bikes. Make it distinctly yours.
I like it when people recognize my bike.
Not much fun in pulling up and seeing 15 bikes that are all alike.
There's nothing better than seeing beautiful craftmanship roll up at a light.

In the same token there are some bikes I've seen straight out of the factory that have been stunning. There's a couple in the bucket list for antiqe bike owners that come to mind. To mod them would almost seem criminal.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Form over function here, the only thing I "pack" with me while I'm riding is ciagrettes..and maybe a bottle of soda if I can cram it in my jacket. The only downside is some times the winds can be a bit much on the freeway, then again it doesn't help that I'm a bit of a light weight at 150lbs with a 495lb bike.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Function before Style. I bought my Shadow because I was tired of speeding tickets. V-Twin cruisers are 'supposed' to be slow, especially puny little 1100cc ones. Coming from a 1983 V65 Magna, I was happily wrong. I still find myself speeding. At least now it's at speeds below 100..
I have never been into having a Stylish vehicle. In fact just the opposite is true. I hate chrome, always have. Unfortunately for me, Blaked-Out cruiser are becoming stylish.
Have always preferred the "Sleeper". My bikes and cars tend to look like POS. But, they will get you to where you want to go and back. They will also do that faster than that idiot in the next lane reving his motor.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
I want both. This won't be obvious until I find a new bike and start updating it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm all about comfort. Back when I was a young buck I built myself a 'Captain America' HD. Mine was a shovelhead, not a pan, but you get the idea. Boy was that thing uncomfortable and load to maneuver around, looked cool as he11, but what a pain. Now if don't promote comfort...forget it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts