Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ace and I just got a custom paint job on it. Unfortunately the stock spoked rims aren't doing it for me. I am interested in going a little more sporty. I wanted to know how big I could go without having to do any modification especially the rear tire. I like the wider rear tire look. Also any suggestions good pricing websites?

·
Registered
226 Posts
According to Metzeler if its an 1100 you can squeeze a 200/70b-15 under there without changing anything gotta keep with the stock rim size though.

·
Registered
884 Posts
According to Metzeler if its an 1100 you can squeeze a 200/70b-15 under there without changing anything gotta keep with the stock rim size though.
That's what I'm trying to figure out for my '06 Sabre (1100). Looks like I'll be doing some math to see if I can find a car tire that will fit back there. No, I'm not starting THAT discussion, just checking the #s for myself.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You should be able to squeeze in a size wider with the stock rim and it will NOT change the handling as some will claim. Of course changing tire brands can change the handling because of the different rubber compound, belting and construction of different brands. A car tire is also a good option, they last longer and handle better in the rain and in most cases, are a **** of alot cheaper.

·
Registered
360 Posts
On another forum, shadowriders.net (note-not really kid friendly language, but great source of info), there are numerous threads on changing out wheels on the chain drive models to wheels made for Harleys.

Only big thing there is that you have to convert to a disc brake, but it definitely opens up a whole world of options.

A couple of companies make aluminum wheels for the chain drive models, but they do not come cheap. Look at $2000+ per set.

·
Registered
884 Posts
How much work is involved in changing out the rear drum brake for a disc brake?
More than I would ever bother with, & I certainly wouldn't pay someone else to do that work. My '99 Shadow ACE Deluxe 750 had drum, my '06 Shadow Sabre (1100) has disk. I cannot tell any appreciable difference. I did once lock up the back brake on the ACE, but never have on the Sabre. I'm not so sure that's as much of a performance issue as it is a maturity issue :-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts