Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody is looking for some good Sabre wheels. I’m going to spokes and figured I’d check if someone wanted to do a swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay it’s been a bit crazy at work. I’ll get some pics up tomorrow

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
North of Atlanta
About 700 miles from here. Pictures will be the way to go. I'll re-schedule pulling wheels and removing tires to get that done sooner but it won't be this week -- cold spell coming tonight.

Sabre and A. C. E. wheels swap directly without need of modification. Mine have over 20 years / 90,000 miles on them so you're probably the one needing the best info. Let you know when I've got some ready.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About 700 miles from here. Pictures will be the way to go. I'll re-schedule pulling wheels and removing tires to get that done sooner but it won't be this week -- cold spell coming tonight.

Sabre and A. C. E. wheels swap directly without need of modification. Mine have over 20 years / 90,000 miles on them so you're probably the one needing the best info. Let you know when I've got some ready.
I can ship first if you want so you can swap at the same time. If your rims Are decent

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Supposed to warm into the 30s today before dropping back down next week. I'll see if the honey-do list is short enough to allow time for pulling the wheels. If so, snap a couple of pix and post.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing wrong just have the bike back down to the frame for some upgrades.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let’s figure the shipping out I think keeping our rotors will make it easier to pack. I ship a lot of EBay stuff so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Unless you feel like driving 350 miles
Driving to meet "in the middle" is no big deal to me. I'm retired. Makes a lot of sense if shipping is as costly as I suspect it would be. Provides the chance for personal inspection -- again, a bigger issue (IMO) for you considering I've got the older bike.

Columbus, OH looks to be about halfway. Southwest side makes the most sense -- my preferred route goes through Marysville.
Dayton and Cincinnati areas also make sense due to I75. Don't know them nearly as well as Columbus but Google Maps helps with that.

My plan is hauling the wheels into the basement to pull the tires (Avon Cobras with 1k - 2k miles of remaining tread) and do some cleanup. Other than that, it's just a question of working out schedules and a location.

On edit: Brake discs are another item to discuss. Plan on throwing a mic against mine to check remaining life but haven't done that yet. Suspect they are approaching service limits based on where they were 20k miles ago. IIRC, bolts for them are spec'd as 1-time use, meaning replacements will be required if we keep our own discs. (Not an issue for me since I've got replacement discs in my plans -- pending mic readings.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it’ll take me over 8 hrs and almost 400 miles each way and on F250 diesel fuel I be shocked if I couldn’t ship them for about 60. I sell brewing supplies on EBay so I’ve got packaging. I say we clean em up and make an honorable agreement. I know yours have a few rust spots but I’m going to lace the hubs to larger rims eventually so that doesn’t bother me. Let me see what I can come up with and I’ll get back atcha

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
...shocked if I couldn’t ship them for about 60...
That would be about breakeven for me on drive versus ship. Either way works -- especially if you ship first so I don't have to hunt up packaging.

I say we clean em up and make an honorable agreement. I know yours have a few rust spots but I’m going to lace the hubs to larger rims eventually so that doesn’t bother me. Let me see what I can come up with and I’ll get back atcha
Works for me. No rust on the outside, though. At least not at the last tire change in June, 2017. Was some on the inside of the rims. Cleaning, inhibitor and some clearcoat was the treatment. No idea, yet. how that worked out. I'll post pictures after the tires are off.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
...I’m going to lace the hubs to larger rims eventually so that doesn’t bother me.
Just about to get back to the wheels, planning to remove the tires after a day in the basement.

Re-lacing the hubs to larger rims will definitely eliminate any concerns about rust -- the hubs are NOT carbon steel. (Aluminum, I think. Possibly stainless. Never gave it enough thought to care.) The rims are chrome-plated carbon steel and the only part that can rust. Well, maybe the spokes. Cadmium-covered, IIRC, steel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven’t had time to get the tires off to weigh the wheels, but I assume yours have to be lighter than mine LOL. if you’ll Email or IM me an address I’ll ship mine out. Then you can just use my packaging. Estimating my shipping yours shouldn’t be more. I ship SS 15 gallon kettles for less than 40 and they aren’t thin walled weigh about 20lbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts