Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of going into the Dealer, Meeting the mechanic, and having them do this to my Bike:
True the spokes, precision balance the wheels and using spoke weights only.

How much should I expect this to cost?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Balancing...$20-25.
Truing? Good gosh, depends on how far its out. It took me a good 6 hours to relace the rear when i swapped out the VTX rim. And that was to get a mere 1/16" run out in any direction.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Balancing...$20-25.
Truing? Good gosh, depends on how far its out. It took me a good 6 hours to relace the rear when i swapped out the VTX rim. And that was to get a mere 1/16" run out in any direction.
Maybe just for the balancing itself but I am talking about just riding the bike over there and passing it to them.

As far as Spokes/Trued I mean just check and tighten as required. The main event would be the removal and replacement of both wheels and a precision Balance and removing the old wheel rim weights and replacing them with Owner supplied Spoke weights like those installed at the factory.

I'll bet they quote over $200

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yea, if they do the work...

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you need this done? Are you getting vibration or ?

I was using a dealer before that i now do not trust. Just want the work they had done checked and know for sure the wheels are balanced correctly.
PLUS i prefer the OEM style wheel weights (spoke mounted) which the dealer (1st one) removed and replaced with Rim weights, one of the weights was loose when i got home.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was using a dealer before that i now do not trust. Just want the work they had done checked and know for sure the wheels are balanced correctly.
PLUS i prefer the OEM style wheel weights (spoke mounted) which the dealer (1st one) removed and replaced with Rim weights, one of the weights was loose when i got home.
sorry, i was just day dreaming about spending money i dont have :neutral:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Balanced mine with the HF "crude" balancer and tossed in some Dyna Beads. Roll perfect at all highway speeds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To answer the truing portion of the question, the only time I asked my favorite shop they told me it would be an hourly job as there was no way to know going in how long it might take due to possibly rusted spoke nipples. They do check to see if the wheels are running within spec, however, when the tires go on. Fortunately they have been fine, so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts