Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some insight please ..... That guy Murphy just loves to have his way with me. :shock: So today was a beautiful day here in south FL and I thought I'd take a nice ride down by the beach. Backed her out of the garage and went back in for another pair of sunglasses. When I came out, I noticed a puddle under the bike (left her idling) ... GAS! Dammmmit. Pulled back into the garage and started looking for the leak. I found that it "seemed" to be coming from the fuel line t-fitting on top of the carbs feeding them. So I stripped down the bike by removing the tank, intake and carb. I did not notice any cracks in the rubber fuel lines and the t-fitting. So I put some new screw clamps in place of the snap-rings and put it all back together only to find that the leak was still there. So I'm scratching my head now and thinking maybe it's coming from a gasket in the carb somewhere. Here's a video looking up from the ground on the right side. You can see that it appears to be leaking from the rubber lines and/or the carb drain nipple ... but it's not. I'm only left with thinking that it's leaking from a gasket in the carb above the lines. Any other expert thoughts on this before I hunt down a carb rebuild it? Chime in guys/gals - Thanks!

Video (click on the pic, it should redirect you to my PB):

Misc Pics:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't see in the video, but where is the carb vent line going to? My first thought would be a stuck float.
You mean the hose that goes 'nowhere' ... er, doesn't attach to anything? It's in the front and not near the leak (third pic down after vid; long hose going downward). If it's a stuck float, can I repair this without parts or a gasket kit? I have yet to dive into the carbs on this bike, thus I need some experts out there for guidance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok. Maybe this is a dumb newby, but you wouldn't be talking about the OTHER fuel line to the tank? There are two, the main then another small one on the right side, rear of the tank. ???

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Maybe this is a dumb newby, but you wouldn't be talking about the OTHER fuel line to the tank? There are two, the main then another small one on the right side, rear of the tank. ???
That small one at the rear right is a vent tube.

I just saw the video... Nevermind.
I just saw this ... Nevermind. ;)

Any other thoughts guys?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't see in the video, but where is the carb vent line going to? My first thought would be a stuck float.
... and ... if it is a stuck float, what is causing the fuel to spew out like that (video)? Is it back pressuring out the vent or could the float chamber o-ring have burst? - (note to self: also check the carb drain screw o-ring). It's frustrating because it's really difficult to see where the fuel is leaking from and I have to re-assemble and re-install the carb assembly and fuel tank each time in order to start the bike. Pressurizing the lines somehow on the bench would be great ... Maybe a turkey-baster and some extra tubing? :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, just ordered two carb rebuild kits from the local dealer. I figure, if I'm taking these things out (again) and apart, I'm gonna put in fresh gaskets and float valves. Good insurance for $44. Any tips from those who've rebuilt? ... Bummer, no ridin' for now and it also looks like we're in for some troublesome weather later in the week (possible hurricane). Hopin' for the best.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I rebuilt mine and it was pretty straight forward, and it's emmission equipped. Actually, it was easy. very simple design. Don't split them unless you really feel compelled to. I didn't. The only thing I can say is make sure you lube the linkage well before you re-install. Mine got a bit binding to return overnight after it was installed. I had to remove them and hit it with some liquid wrench and it was perfect. Never thought about it because I always did carbs on cars and it was easy to access everything.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Took out the carbs (again :shock:) and noticed when I flipped them over into my fuel catch container that the 'vent' hose spewed out fuel. My first question is, could that be caused by a stuck float valve? Also, I took off the float chamber cover that was closest to the side that was leaking. Note the crud on the gasket and mating surface. I'm not sure if this was the culprit as for leaking fuel, but I do know the previous owner stated that an upgraded jet kit was done. That leads me in to thinking that maybe the OEM gaskets were re-used. Maybe a problem, but then, maybe not. Another question I have though is how can I tell if the jets were done - markings of some sort?? I haven't removed them yet and really don't know if I will. I was going to take off the other cover on the other carb, but when I came in to post this note and the pics I noticed that one of my cats pissed all over my desk and keyboard! :mad: I know who it is, and she's OUT! So that took time to find another keyboard and clean up ...... Whatever, that's another story in and of itself. :mrgreen: I'll wait until tomorrow night to do the other. He77, I don't have my rebuild kit yet anyway. Again, I may not ask the question, but if you see anything or know any possible solutions go ahead and offer up, thanks! Here's the pics to associate my above statements and question:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Here's a link on re-jetting the carbs on 1100's. Good step by step on taking apart and reassembly. The Sabre Group Tech & Mods
By the way your pics reminded me, with the carbs out it's a snap to replace the crossover tube O-rings. See the sticky.
Just my .02

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I pressurized the fuel line by forcing fuel from a turkey baster into the feeder line. The leak appears to be two fold in that yes it is leaking a bit from the valve cover gasket (as shown in the previous pics), but also from a pin-hole/tear under the smaller tube going into the carb. How that happened I don't know because it is sandwiched between the carb and the tube itself. I'm going to check with the local bike dealer tomorrow to see if I can get all new fuel hoses in the correct size along with new snap-rings because the auto parts store only carries a larger O.D. hose. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu .... yeah, you know what I mean. :sad:

Sorry, no pics this round ... too frustrated tonight with school starting for the kids and a few other family issues.

PS - Do not use a turkey baster as the fuel melts the rubber squeeze handle after a few minutes. :lol: And I'm sure it will add some funk to your next Thanksgiving bird too! :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.