Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...

So, I am going to be doing a major rewire of the rear section of the bike: taillight, brake light, plate light, left and right turn signals.

It's a cinch that I will not be able to pick up the exact wire colours that are OEM to the bike, so, I'm going to rewire using whatever colours I can pick up at the local auto supply shop.

On motorcycles, are there established base colours of wiring for certain uses on the bike?

For example, for a ground wire, is it black, green or brown?

What about the taillight, brake and plate lights? Acceptable known colours?

Left vs right turn signal wires?

I am going to have to reuse the plastic connectors that are currently used to plug back into the harness under the seat.

Anyway, any thoughts about this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Green is the most common ground color on my ACE but green is used elsewhere on hot wires too. When I wire, warm colors like red, yellow or orange are always hot. I also use black for hot and white or green for ground (as with home wiring) to be consistent.

PS: we'll be coming your way at the end of the month, we adore the island.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Do your best to use the correct colors. If you can't find 'em, just be consistent and write down what colors you used for hot for each of the areas ie. tail light, brake light, etc. Use the same color for all your grounds. Be sure to write 'em down...you won't remember...don't ask me how I know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.