Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get the intake rubbers? The bottom ones are no good for sure. Are the other older shadow 750's the same?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yes 16211-MK7-770 are unavailable except for high cost Euro sourced offerings.
The ones (16211-ME9-000) from the earlier 750/700 bikes look the same and reportedly work the same.
Honda is miserable when it comes to documenting parts interchange, but a lot of stuff from different bikes is the same thing with a different part number.
It's funny sometimes, but not when you have to risk $ to do the figuring out, luckily this one is well documented by people who have done it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow found one carb isolators on Amazon and eBay. Thanks man. A few carb parts, a fuel pump, filter and a battery and I bet she will run.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Keep us updated on your progress.

The VT800 was a one year bike, but a lot of the mechanicals lived on in the Pacific Coast PC800 from 1989 to 1998.
A bit of a strange evolution and the last in the line of that engine family that started with the 1983 Shadow 750.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I will but my progress will be a bit slow. I'm also very close to having my 79 honda cx500 going again. Just installed Ignitech Cdi unit. Just need new petcock and possibly clean carbs. I put wd 40 in them when it died 4 years ago. I should have fixed it then, but life happens so here I am working on both and 2 cars lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the float bowl side I have the 2 center jets removed for cleaning. What are those 2 long brass outer ones. Do they come out? Also I do hear the little rattle in both carbs that your supposed to hear when you shake them. At this point I only need the needle valves and filters that I can see. Anything else that is a must replace or clean. I should be ordering the parts soon. Thanks for the help. Great guys here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I did order the lower one carb isolators. Can't wait to get it going. Fairly sure the fuel pump and filter will need replaced. Buying and repairing as money becomes available so taking my time to get it right.

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
The 2 long tubes don't come out.
Look through the pilot jet to see if you can see light. It is a very small orifice and hard to clean. About a .016 " hole.
While you are waiting for carb parts you can always test your pump to see if it CAN work. See if it pumps when cranking. And if you jump it, with the hose off, you can see if it puts out about 1 pint in 20-30- seconds. That is an average flow rate just to see how well it can pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok cool. I actually have the pump off. I'm sure it's probably locked up. Can I soak it in berryman carb cleaner or no? The other thing I was wondering is the 88 shadow 800 a single pin crankshaft? Not sure how to tell by just looking, lol. Since this was the only year they produce an 800.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I blew through the main fuel line into the pump and I hear like a diaphragm sound. Also, how can I test it off the bike? What wire is hot and ground? Thanks

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
My 1983 750 (first year) is a 45 degree offset crank and I think they continued it on for some years. Probably yours would be the same. - ? Then newer models had one or the other and many are 52 degrees.
You can put battery power directly to the pump on the black/blue wire and ground the green. Green is always ground.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts