Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I now have my modulator installed and I have the photocell sensor hanging out the back of my headlight bucket...

Where did you all mount yours? ( zip tied to the handle bars or what?? )

I am just curious as to how exposed it really needs to be...

if anyone has any pics, that would be awesome...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
85 Posts
Light sensor

I just coiled mine around the clutch cable, let point straight up, with a couple of tie wraps. That way it is easy to get to and adjust while you are ridding.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Re: Light sensor

biglpierson said:
I just coiled mine around the clutch cable, let point straight up, with a couple of tie wraps. That way it is easy to get to and adjust while you are ridding.
Same here.
I've seen a few where they drilled an opening into the bucket itself.
Kisans sensor doesn't look half bad there.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,223 Posts
View from the front tire

for a Comagination Visipath. That's the windshield bracket on the left.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I put a modulator on Leslie's bike last weekend. It is a Bikerbuddy unit. Installation was very simple and I put the unit in the headlight housing and the sensor under one of the windshield clamps. (The shield is a Memphis Fats.)

I haven't had a chance to really try it out...but my garage tests really made a difference.

Joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought one from Signal Dynamics Corp. The first light sensor I installed wouldn't allow the unit to operate on a cloudy day. They sent me a new sensor which acted the same. This modulator is able to be turned on or off by toggling the bright / normal light switch. So I just cut the light sensor off and shorted the remaining wires. All it is is a light switch. Then the modulator itself started acting up, turning itself off whenever it felt like it. They sent me a new one which I installed on a very bright sunny morning. The bike was just in the shade of the garage only a few feet away from brilliant sky. I couldn't get the unit to modulate without shining a flashlight at the light sensor. Clip, strip insulation, short wires, tape... no more light sensor. At dusk I manually turn it off. Maybe someday I'll just wire a switch in place of the light sensor.

Bocco

·
Registered
457 Posts
bocco said:
I bought one from Signal Dynamics Corp. The first light sensor I installed wouldn't allow the unit to operate on a cloudy day. They sent me a new sensor which acted the same. This modulator is able to be turned on or off by toggling the bright / normal light switch. So I just cut the light sensor off and shorted the remaining wires. All it is is a light switch. Then the modulator itself started acting up, turning itself off whenever it felt like it. They sent me a new one which I installed on a very bright sunny morning. The bike was just in the shade of the garage only a few feet away from brilliant sky. I couldn't get the unit to modulate without shining a flashlight at the light sensor. Clip, strip insulation, short wires, tape... no more light sensor. At dusk I manually turn it off. Maybe someday I'll just wire a switch in place of the light sensor.

Bocco
That was bad product! With this Kisan, all I did was unplug the socket to the bulb and insert the product. Replug the socket to the product and run the senor along the cables upward. It still works since late 2001. It stopped modulating when I go in dark places, stays steady on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just ordered a Diamond Star modulator and can't wait to get it installed. I was going to get mine from bikebuddy but when I went to checkout there was a 7.5% tax, now I dont live in CA and I have never seen tax imposed on online purchases from out of state. I emailed them and they said they would 'waive' it in return for knowing where I heard about them. How do you waive something that is not legal to collect is my question, in the meanwhile I found the DS one which has better features. Sorry bikebuddy!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
What is a Light Modulator?

What does exactly do a Light modulator? I've been searching all over google and there is a lot of information about how to install one, but nobody tells what is that for. All I could get about is that is an automated switch that switches from low bean to high bean when It's daytime.
If that is the function of it, I still don't get what's for, as I could turn it myself whenever I want.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,223 Posts
danimal said:
Just recieved my modulator....
Where did you mount the modulator itself?
The Comagination Visipath fits in the headlight cover behind the bulb. There's a mess of wires to push & hold back while putting in the screws but it's mostly due to the length.

Sprockets said:
What does exactly do a Light modulator? I've been searching all over google and there is a lot of information about how to install one, but nobody tells what is that for. All I could get about is that is an automated switch that switches from low bean to high bean when It's daytime.
If that is the function of it, I still don't get what's for, as I could turn it myself whenever I want.
Your finger would wear out if you tried; take a look
or two
. It's for getting noticed.

Check out this review.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
fastbiker said:
I just ordered a Diamond Star modulator and can't wait to get it installed. I was going to get mine from bikebuddy but when I went to checkout there was a 7.5% tax, now I dont live in CA and I have never seen tax imposed on online purchases from out of state. I emailed them and they said they would 'waive' it in return for knowing where I heard about them. How do you waive something that is not legal to collect is my question, in the meanwhile I found the DS one which has better features. Sorry bikebuddy!!
That was simply a computer glitch. If you use the contact us, not only do you get it without tax, but as a member of HSN, you get a %10 discount. They are already the least expensive and the use l solid-state technology unlike anyone else on the market. Additionally, the are %100 made in the USA. I know the guy there and it is a solid product. I also wondered about the tax and that is fixed now ( they used a Canadian web service to create the site and they had no idea of the tax laws here).

P.S They are all member of HSN

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: What is a Light Modulator?

Sprockets said:
Modulate means to turn on and off. The device turns the headlight on and off at a fast rate making you a lot more visible. I think people actually, at times, think you're an emergency vehicle, and for that reason, I'm surprised they're legal. I bought mine after I lost a riding buddy. He was OK, but is now afraid to ride after a young girl turned in front of him and he T-boned her. She simply said she didn't see him. I don't want that to happen to me. Now I get stopped evey now and then at a light and somebody roles down their window to tell me my light is blinking on and off. It does get you noticed. Anything to make riding safer is a good thing, within reason of course.

Bocco

·
Registered
472 Posts
In Delaware, a bike with a modulator installed will not pass inspection. I tried. Two state inspectors told me the same thing. They are aware of the federal standard, and of federal pre-emption of state laws. They say that Delaware law is "stronger."
Has anyone fought this attitude in their state, and won? I don't want to break the law. :-(

Dave

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
They have to modulate at 1 sec or less intervals so they won't be confused with emergency vehicles, I think Krissan includes a copy of the federal law that says there legal, I know of three different times that it saved a rider from getting a ticket. :lol:

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,223 Posts
RadioDave said:
In Delaware, a bike with a modulator installed will not pass inspection. I tried. Two state inspectors told me the same thing. They are aware of the federal standard, and of federal pre-emption of state laws. They say that Delaware law is "stronger."
Has anyone fought this attitude in their state, and won? I don't want to break the law. :-(

Dave
1. BS. Delaware could probably issue a "stronger" currency than the US but the state wouldn't get to do it.

2. It's not worth the fight. Don't tell them you've got a modulator, put a piece of black shrink-tube over the light sensor for the inspection and the modulator will NOT function. (Don't shrink it; pull the tube off after you've finished the inspection.)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
SHADOW 1100T said:
They have to modulate at 1 sec or less intervals so they won't be confused with emergency vehicles, I think Krissan includes a copy of the federal law that says there legal, I know of three different times that it saved a rider from getting a ticket. :lol:
The federal law is very restrictive and carries no water with the local officials. It is simply to do with the various regions you are in. I know of not one biker who got a ticket unless he was modulating more the one headlamp (in some states that legal if they modulate at the same time) or modulating a colored lamp. They are highly encouraged when operating with in the law by the CHP here in CA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts