Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only bought one new part for my bike, a petcock with the filter on top.

Well I made my decision by price, thinking if I got the one that was a little more expensive it would be better.

So I passed 7 bucks and 9 bucks and 15 bucks... found one for 32 ish. and prime delivered it in 2 days.

I had to use the lever off the old one because the "D" shape in the new lever was mirrored making it not line up.

AND when I tightened the screw on the lever it wouldn't move at all.

So today I went in the garage to start it for a second, turned the lever and now it won't turn back.

Where should I get one and how much should I pay?

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
Loosen the screw, it`ll PROLLY go to turning...
Then IF it does, modaficate it NOT to bind when tightening the screw...

Hoping this`ll work,
@"Captain D"

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
324 Posts
It's possible you need a little washer under the lever. It might be binding against the body when you tighten it.

To answer your other question, I like JP Cycles, they've been around a long time. RevZilla, Dennis Kirk as well. Partzilla for OEM stuff. You can also find good stuff at smaller websites you see recommended on places like this forum. eBay and Amazon can be tricky. Lots of really cheap junk on there and sometimes some good stuff. Hit or miss.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,837 Posts
The standing rule is, you get what you pay for. Trouble is, the vendors of cheap products have learned that, too… 🤦‍♂️ For example, my wife used to sell stuff at flea markets, and she had this one coffee mug she’d had forever, that nobody would buy for 50 cents. Which was too bad, because it was a perfectly good mug! So one day she was going on about it, so I slapped a $2 sticker on it. She went on even more, but I told her just to see what happens.

It sold that morning…

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,063 Posts
I have used Partzilla and Babbits for OEM parts and have had good results. They are also a great resource for exploded diagrams and OEM part numbers. If you want to price shop get the OEM part number and search it on the internet to see if you can get it cheaper.

Non OEM parts are a different story though. I will usually stay with a reputable company and stay away from the knock offs especially when ordering something that I cannot put my hands on. I have ordered parts from most of the common vendors and have not had any problems.

A few years ago my wife bought a backrest for her Aero from Amazon. It is most likely foreign made but it does what is is supposed to do.

I use to research options for replacing OEM parts and fluids but it took a good bit of time. So I have decided to buy OEM parts and supplies until they are no longer available. Just my two cents.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,898 Posts
What year and model of bike do you have?

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank for the replies, I fixed the binding before I installed it by distorting a thread at the end of the screw. I bet it never comes out!

It worked fine right after I installed it. It turned easy when I opened it. It won't close. I'll put a line over it when I pull the tank to pull the carbs... again and probably just order a good one from one of the places mentioned in this thread.

Except for the places across the pond, I bet shipping would be a little high :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up taking the knob off and forcing it with pliers. Works now till I can find a good one.

Next day after that previous post I tried to start it and it wouldn't.

So I took the carbs off, took them apart. I don't know which jet is which but when I unscrewed the one with the little radial holes in the barrel they both were completely clogged.

I disassembled everything I could, still left them tied together. Cleaned, blew with compressor... put them back together. Started right up but I couldn't rev it being it was about 1030PM by then.

That was yesterday. Today I get home from work, put the bolts back in the seat, started it up.

It would idle then act like it was going to cut out for a second then idle... so I started riding it around the neighborhood.

About 10 minutes passed and the bikes attitude suddenly changed. I left it running and parked in front of my house... ran to get pliers because it was idling at about 1500RPM.

I backed the idle down to about 850-900 (just by ear) and it was as smooth as silk. I took it for another spin and it had a torquy rumble with gobs of power. I almost couldn't get off the thing I was enjoying myself so well.
Something must have still been clogged in one of the carbs and shook loose. Man it runs now! I can't wait to get it licensed and insured and I guess I have to get a permit?

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,133 Posts
I would run some Berryman B12 (cheaper than Seafoam) as per instruction to help finish cleaning the carb. Empty tank then add B12 and fill with fresh gas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts