Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've admired what the Patriot Guard does, but I wonder if maybe they have another job that't coming to light. Recent news reports on the care our wounded troops are receiving at Walter Reed and other vet hospitals is heartbreaking. Is it time for Patriot Guards/Veteran riders/East Coast riders to swarm Walter Reed, the White House, Congress to demand better care for those heros?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think their mission excludes politics.

Patriot Guard Riders Mission Statement

The Patriot Guard Riders is a diverse amalgamation of riders from across the nation. We have one thing in common besides motorcycles. We have an unwavering respect for those who risk their very lives for America’s freedom and security. If you share this respect, please join us.

We don’t care what you ride, what your political views are, or whether you’re a "hawk" or a "dove". It is not a requirement that you be a veteran. It doesn't matter where you’re from or what your income is. You don’t even have to ride. The only prerequisite is Respect.

Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family. Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives.

1. Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.

2. Shield the mourning family and friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.

We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.
BTW, they do visit VA centers for morale and they bring in supplies, entertainment, etc.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly wasn't suggesting that the Guards become political. Badly wounded vets are apparently not receiving the care you'd hope for your kin or countrymen. Bikers could make some noise about this. If it's mission creep for the Guard maybe they should consider it.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There are a number of organizations much larger and better equipped to address those concerns than the PGR. The VFW and American Legion are the two that immediately come to mind.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
As a proud PGR rider who did a mission as recently as this past Friday, you must take into account that we only ride when specifically requested by the family. I am sure should a family member asked us to go to Walter Reed we would certainly go. And, as rightly mentioned earlier in this thread, we are not political in any way.

Cheers

·
Registered
534 Posts
I belong to the PGR, and the American Legion. The two organizations have different missions and like the letter below is not a PGR mission, it's an American Legion misson which I proudly attended.

Here is a copy of the message from the front page of the Nellis official website. I’m going to go by Wal-Mart this morning and pick up a few of these items and take them to the 99CS (Bldg 595) conference room this afternoon.

Ralph

Visit for Hospitalized Veterans
We are planning another visit on 09 Feb 2007, from 0930-1100, to some of our nation's hospitalized Veterans at the Nellis Federal Hospital. For those of you who wish to participate, we are asking for donations of unused clothing items, toiletries, and packaged/homemade treats (cookies, brownies, cupcakes, candy, etc.) so that we may hand out small gift bags to the veterans.

The veterans really appreciate us taking time out of our busy schedules to spend a few moments wishing them well. If you would like to volunteer please email MSgt Kenneth L. Stowe or SMSgt Glen Robinson NLT 07 Feb 2007 to sign up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: American Legion Riders of Nevada [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 10:18 PM
To: Melancon Ralph A GS-13 99 CS/SCMQE
Subject: RE: VA Hosp Visit.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dragoon--I've read many of your posts, and even before I knew you were PGR I had the utmost respect for you. Thank you for what you do for the families of the slain. You are one of two who have replied that the PGR are not political; I'm not clear on exactly what is "political" about asking riders if they are ready to make some noise to ensure the wounded get the care they need. I would think it would be pretty easy to get a family member to request that an organization as respected as PGR draw attention to the plight of the wounded. The VFW and American Legion strike people as stogy organizations who maybe can't move fast and maybe have been on guard while this current lack of care has unfolded.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glenc--Thank you for doing what you're doing. I can't believe though that the gov't can't do better than send out appeals for unused clothing, toiletries. cookies, and brownies. What's "political" about SHOUTING that these people who have lost a bunch now deserve everything they need right down to silk pajamas. Bikers could make a difference.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Jon lewis,

I would be the first in line if the PGR called for us to do the rounds at any of the hospitals and I agree whole heartily that that would not be seen as political by either the PGR or the wounded. However, I do think it would be misconstrued as political by some of the groups that oppose our very existence. I have always taken time to ride around the areas where the folks whose funeral I was about to ride at grew up when I can ( IE they came from around here). It is very moving especially when you get to know their history ( I do as much research as I can on every person whom I ride for). When I attend a mission, I am always amazed at the cross section of folks that ride with us. Years ago, if I met some of these folk in an alley, I would bet my life was due to end, but when you get to know them, most are truly good folk. However, in all the conversation I have had, I have never ever had an element of politics. I know full well that some that ride with us do not support the war, but that is not the reason they are there, they are there to ensure that those that gave all are given respect as they are put to rest and that the family is protected from those who might otherwise create even greater grief for a family that is already suffering enough. I do not discuss my politics because I am very passionate about it and don’t want to alienate anybody that I have come to be friends with as a result. It might be a good suggestion to put on the PGR site to see what the official think of it. I would be happy to do that if no one else will.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paul--thank you for your thoughtful post; those you have supported truly deserve it. After living myself for 50+ years w/all my limbs and digits, a mostly functioning mind, brain and eyes I sometimes wonder though if it's not those who go on w/o who have made the bigger sacrifice. I don't know why we don't demand the best of everything for those who have "given less(more?) than all, but if we can do it we should. Yes, please post this thread to PGR website (I'm not sure I'd know how to do it). My sense is you're respected on this forum--why be "first in line if the PGR called"--perhaps make the call for a biker convergence on Washington. Maybe we owe the many more wounded some productive noise.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I think that, as PGR there is a certain line that we cannot cross.

If we start to use our numbers to influence government or civillian policy directly, rather than just collaterally as a consequence of our main mission, I think that we would dimminish the power of that mission.

While I would gladly participate in a "bikers march" to try to better the way in which our veterans are treated, I would not want to see the PGR sponsor such a ride.

I have not yet had an oppurtunity to visit the VA hospitals, but.
I have been on send-off missions, and welcome-home missions, and way too many missions to honor a fallen hero.
I feel that this is where our priorities lay.

Dragoon said it well. I'll just add.
We don't talk politics as the PGR, we talk honor and respect.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
gat803 said:
I think that, as PGR there is a certain line that we cannot cross.

If we start to use our numbers to influence government or civillian policy directly, rather than just collaterally as a consequence of our main mission, I think that we would dimminish the power of that mission.

While I would gladly participate in a "bikers march" to try to better the way in which our veterans are treated, I would not want to see the PGR sponsor such a ride.

I have not yet had an oppurtunity to visit the VA hospitals, but.
I have been on send-off missions, and welcome-home missions, and way too many missions to honor a fallen hero.
I feel that this is where our priorities lay.

Dragoon said it well. I'll just add.
We don't talk politics as the PGR, we talk honor and respect.
+1 and then some :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Screw the lines that we can not cross; I'm not sure any of you have lived your life that way. If affiliation w/a particular group keeps us from doing what's right drag that group along w/us or go independent. Sometimes it seems easier to entice folks on this forum to meet for a beer or a rally than to meet for a greater good.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Jon lewis

I hear you, but I bet if you posted a call for folks on this forum to join you and do as you wish, you would get a great response. I am willing to stand behind you, I am willing to present this to the PGR or what ever else you think I can do to help. I am firmly in your camp. My father in law spent his medical career ( he’s an MD, or was)at the VA, my brother in-law is a soon to be brigadier general. My best friend is a veteran of the first gulf war and I can attest to the fact that he has major medical problems because of it. My son is in his last semester at university and has already enrolled in the air force. So, lets not just type about it, lets create a thread calling for this type of event.

Action will be better then words on this forum.

Cheers and remember, I am with you all the way.

Paul

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK- Let's do it; I'm outraged that we would ask our troops for so much and not give them the best when they need it. It seems easy to converge on March 10th on all Vet Hospitals in the country, The White House. and Congress.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
jon lewis said:
Screw the lines that we can not cross; I'm not sure any of you have lived your life that way. If affiliation w/a particular group keeps us from doing what's right drag that group along w/us or go independent. Sometimes it seems easier to entice folks on this forum to meet for a beer or a rally than to meet for a greater good.
Jon, I can really feel your passion on this matter and I commend you for it. That said though if you look around at a typical PGR mission you cannot help but notice all the various organizations represented. You'll see Rolling Thunder, Legion Riders, CMA Vietnam Vets, the list goes on and on.

One reason for this is that PGR's mission is something that a majority can subscribe to. Once it begins to go outside that common ground, there are people who will disagree with either the mission or the methodology. So the PGR, I think has wisely left those issues to others. But showing up for a PGR mission or signing on in no way prevents you from doing other things, you just don't do it under the PGR banner.

I really think that if you do something similar yourself you'll get tons of support. Start locally and go from there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Please forgive me Jon, I really believe your heart is in the right place...
But, first you were attempting to change the mission of the PGR and now you are attempting to create something on this site that exists elsewhere.

First, lobbying congress, marches for causes, etc. are inherently political - something the PGR is not. The do however have a "Help on the Homefront" mission which does work with VA hospital. For example there is a ride to a Daytona area hospital during Bikeweek in which members visit with the vets and bring some helpful items such as, Postage Stamps, Karoake CDs, Quarters and Silver Dollars for Bingo, Complete Bingo set w/cards, Gift certificates for restaurants and department stores...

Second, several members here have mentioned organizations which already do what you are proposing and may be offended at the idea that they are not, or might appreciate some help doing more.

Have you looked into the functions and activities of the VFW, The American Legion, etc.? Have you contacted PGR to find out about thier current efforts on via "Help on the Homefront"? Have you contacted any VA hospitals to find out what thier needs are and who helps them?

Perhaps your effort would be put to better use aiding the organizations that are already in this "business".

If you find a ride (or create one) for this cause please post it here and let us know I'm sure many of us would be glad to attend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the highest respect for the PGR. This message is NOT for them. This is not for the people that will actually do something for the Vets.

This message is for those of you that want to talk it to death without doing anything. Some people just like to talk and try to get everyone to do something, except themselves.

There is no point in trying to change a particular groups mission such as the PGR. They do very well and ARE doing something.

If you want something done, DO IT. Go to the VA and volunteer. Get a group together and talk to the VA about what you can do. The VA does take volunteers.

I am so damn tired of everybody pointing fingers at other people about any and every thing saying how someone else should do something. I hear this crap on the news everyday.

DO SOMETHING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE OTHER THAN JUST TALK ABOUT OTHER GROUPS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The PGR mission is simple yet specific and politics under the impression of sanctioning by the PGR is a no-no. You can get as political as you want, just not as a PGR event, cause, etc.

That being said, PGR is deeply involved and committed to "Help On The Homefront" or HOTH. Search for that on the patriotguard.org site and get involved in your area.

Thanks.

~ShadowRob
PGR regional ride captain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts