Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all,
I'm still in the market to buy a bigger bike, mostly for two-up riding. I currently own a '96 Shadow ACE 1100. It's great for riding around town or around 65 on the freeway, but anything extended or at higher speeds for extended time, she really seems to be working. I'm looking really hard at a Vulcan 1500, but I've only ever owned Honda's. I know there were a few years where Honda made a Shadow 1100 Tourer. I've seen some for sale on E-bay and CycleTrader and they "look" like they'd fit the bill too. Will these bikes feel like they're working as hard as the ACE does at extended highway speeds, two-up? Or, are they geared differently for highway speeds? Any input would be very helpful.
Thanks...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just went from a 98 Aero 1100 to an 06 VTX1300S. Smooth, easy to throw into corners, really peppy in all gears. The only drawback is that it will occasionally drag its boards if pushed too hard into a corner, but as it is a cruiser, not a sportbike, that doesn't happen often. The Kaw1500 has less ponies than the VTX1300, though it looks more old school than the VTX.
Your local Honda dealer should have all sorts of incentives on them now.

Radar

·
Registered
423 Posts
AERO_HEAD said:
Radar said:
The Kaw1500 has less ponies than the VTX1300
Are you sure about that?
It depends on whether you're talking about a stock engine or one with aftermarket pipes, freer flowing intake and a rejet! According to the graphs on Dynojet's web site, the VTX in stock form makes 56-58 HP. The VN1500 in stock trim does well to make 50 HP. However, if both bikes are similarly modified, the VN1500 appears to eclipse the VTX by about 2 HP - 62 to 60. I'm betting this is rear wheel horsepower, so advertised or crankshaft horsepower may be different. Now, if I had to bet on which bike is faster, my money would be on the Honda!

Brian

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All and thanks for the replies.
I wasn't considering the VTX1300 because of the lack of auto valve adjusters. Not that I would need to have them adjusted often, it's just that I don't understand why the older technology in a newer bike. My options are still between a 1500 Vulcan and a Shadow 1100 Tourer.
Thanks...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, Honda removed them from the most of their cruisers (I don't know why... may they realised the servicemans going to die of hunger, or what...) But don't afraid, it's not a big work to adjust the valve clearance.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
I currently own a '96 Shadow ACE 1100. It's great for riding around town or around 65 on the freeway, but anything extended or at higher speeds for extended time, she really seems to be working.
Either Honda made LOTS of improvements in 3 years or you're WAY over gross weight on that bike 'cause I don't experience anything like that with mine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Typically, a day of two-up riding will be me(185 lbs), my girl(110 lbs.), and about 5 - 10 lbs. of cargo. Now mind you, the add-ons on the bike include a windshield, medium/large saddlebags, sissbar and bag, rider and passenger floorboards, engine guard with mounted highway pegs, hypercharger, fork bag w/tools, light bar w/both lights, and a large tank bib. So, it's possible we could've reached the weight capacity. I'm not saying that it can't maintain those long highway stretches at speed, it just sounds, to me, like she's working to stay there.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nighthawk1,

The following post compares the gearing of the 1100 Sabre to the 1100 Spirit.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33567&highlight=939+806

The only difference between gearing on the 1100 Sabre and the 1100 Spirit is the primary reduction ratio which is .806 for the Spirit but .939 for the Sabre. While all other ratios including the transmission gears, final reductrion ratio, secondary reduction ratio, and third reduction ratio are exactly the same.

I have in front of me the Honda Service Manual for the 1998-2001 VT1100T Shadow 1100 A.C.E. Tourer which is the model you are interested in. Its ratios are listed exactly the same as the 1100 Sabre with a .939 primary reduction ratio. So the Sabre and Tourer Engines turn a little higher rpms in top gear than the Spirit.

In a Clymer Honda VT1100 Series 1995-2004 Service manual, it lists the regular ACE (not Tourer) gear ratios as being different from the 1100 Spirit only in the first gear ratio. I feel confident of the ratios I'm looking at except for the regular ACE as I've noticed a few errors in the Clymer manual, so someone can chime in if these regular ACE (not Tourer) ratios are different.

So to answer your question, the ACE Tourer is actually geared lower than the ACE you own, so its engine would be turning even faster at 65 mph in top gear.

This means that when the Sabre and Tourer are in top gear and going approximately 63 mph, the Spirit and regular ACE in top gear at the same engine rpm are going approximately 70 mph. (I can give you all the math if you want the detail).

The thing that may feel more comfortable about the 1100 Tourer is that it is a dual crank pin engine which should be smoother so may possibly feel less busy at touring speed than the regular ACE which you own. The regular ACE is single crankpin engine and would have more vibration at touring speed (however the regular ACE engine is rubber mounted to quell some of that vibration).

I know this is long winded :oops:, but hope that may help with your decision.
Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ShadowDave, thanks for the response. It's exactly what I was looking for. The wife-to-be and I have decided on the Vulcan 1500 or 1600 Nomad. I think it will suit the bill perfectly. We plan on getting the bike right after summer, and am going to make the ACE a single seater. I greatly appreciate your work in getting me this answer.
Thanks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.