Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,054 Posts
Looks like blue smoke to me, I'm thinking oil.
Is the oil over full?
I'd do a wet and dry compression test and see what that tells me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
White or blue smoke?
Some white smoke is normal when the bike has been sitting for some time.

Let the bike warm up, maybe let it idle until the fan comes on.

Generally speaking, white smoke means water or coolant. Blue smoke means oil is being burnt.

If white smoke appears at the start but disappears after a few minutes when the bike is hot, it was just residue water that gathered in the exhaust. If it persists, you might have water getting into the engine, aka a leak in the coolant system or head-gaskets.

If its blue smoke, oil is getting into the cylinder. Maybe piston rings or so are worn.

also, as @CSRoad said, a compression test can tell you if the piston rings are ok or if they are leaky (and let through oil)

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
234 Posts
Can't help but notice the Honda spark plug tool and what looks like spark plug socket on the ratchet.
Did you just change spark plugs when this happened, or has this been an ongoing problem?

If you had just pulled the plugs, were they sooty or very clean?
  • Sooty would indicate oil fouling
  • If very clean, would indicate coolant leak
Also - Adding too much fuel system cleaner/lubricant (Sea Foam or others) to the gas tank would cause a smoky/oily exhaust too.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,252 Posts
We need a lot more info… did it run good before working on it? Sure looks like you were just working on it which leads me to believe you’re either pulling it out of long term storage or recently purchased it. Give us some more info, mileage, owners, when you purchased it, why whatever work that was done was done… etc.

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We need a lot more info… did it run good before working on it? Sure looks like you were just working on it which leads me to believe you’re either pulling it out of long term storage or recently purchased it. Give us some more info, mileage, owners, when you purchased it, why whatever work that was done was done… etc.
it has 7k miles onI’m the 2nd owner and it was purchased a few years back. The bike previously had carb cleaned and rebuilt all fluids re done than sat For half a year or so and went to start it and it was sluggish and would turn off when I give it gas.

·
Registered
234 Posts
it has 7k miles onI’m the 2nd owner and it was purchased a few years back. The bike previously had carb cleaned and rebuilt all fluids re done than sat For half a year or so and went to start it and it was sluggish and would turn off when I give it gas.
Derwinzzz: Did you add fuel system cleaner/stabilizer to the tank before it sat for so long, or perhaps sprayed/fogged oil or WD-40 into the cylinders? Any of these in excess would cause the smoke you're seeing. Also - if the carbs sat for 6mo full of fuel, it wouldn't surprise me if the jets may be partially gummed-up, causing the sluggishness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Derwinzzz: Did you add fuel system cleaner/stabilizer to the tank before it sat for so long, or perhaps sprayed/fogged oil or WD-40 into the cylinders? Any of these in excess would cause the smoke you're seeing. Also - if the carbs sat for 6mo full of fuel, it wouldn't surprise me if the jets may be partially gummed-up, causing the sluggishness.
i did not smh… I did add sea foam to a fresh tank of gas and probably I added to much. It was running good a few weeks ago but now I can’t even get it to stay on I replaced all spark plugs since the front cylinder wasn’t running and after that is when this started happening, also from the bottom exhaust it looks like is wet inside like oily.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,174 Posts
I would make sure my fluid levels are ok and take it for a spin. See if it clears up on its own. You can check your fluid levels after your ride and see if anything changed. It also could be a valve stem seal letting a little oil by. I wouldn't waste time doing repairs until you make sure something is really wrong.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i did not smh… I did add sea foam to a fresh tank of gas and probably I added to much. It was running good a few weeks ago but now I can’t even get it to stay on I replaced all spark plugs since the front cylinder wasn’t running and after that is when this started happening, also from the bottom exhaust it looks like is wet inside like oily.
My bet would be that the excess SeaFoam is what fouled your plugs originally. Now that you changed them and both cylinders are firing/running again, you have the blue-ish smoke and oily residue in the exhaust from the excess SeaFoam. I'd drain the tank, add some fresh, clean fuel and will bet the smoke will stop soon as you burn-up the residual fuel in the float bowls and excess oil inside of the exhaust pipes. Once the smoke stops, I'd rev it up pretty good several times to clean-off the plugs and any residual oil still in the nooks and crannies of the exhaust system. Let us know how this turns out! Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You my friend are a life saver lol I did exactly what you said I drained the gas tank and ran the bike till it died kept adding small amounts of fresh gas to flush everything out of the system until it managed to stay on by itself and now it stays on alone and reved it multiple times to flush everything out and clean exhaust and it worked perfectly !!! Thank you so much for your help I was getting frustrated was gonna take it to a shop or give up on it lol.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You my friend are a life saver lol I did exactly what you said I drained the gas tank and ran the bike till it died kept adding small amounts of fresh gas to flush everything out of the system until it managed to stay on by itself and now it stays on alone and reved it multiple times to flush everything out and clean exhaust and it worked perfectly !!! Thank you so much for your help I was getting frustrated was gonna take it to a shop or give up on it lol.
Very glad to help and pleased that your bike is running well again... enjoy it! (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check the oil level. If it's overfilled, and you didn't do it, a float is stuck and allowing fuel to drip into head, bypass the rings and fill the crankcase. What happens is, after starting the engine, the crankcase pressure blows the overfill up thru the breather tube and into the air intake which burns off in the chamber. Also the reason why it stalls out is too much backpressure in the case. If this is the cause, change oil, filter and clean the needle(s) in the carb(s) or replace them for best results. Some needle seats are removable. If so, there is a small o-ring on it. These breakdown with age and can be the reason for leak thru of fuel. Check and replace if you have them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im gonna go ahead and add this and maybe most wont agree with me but seafoam is garbage! It is not a fuel stabilizer at all. It dosent clean carba worth a damn. Ita petroleum based and with too much of it in your tank is basically like you were burning oil (because it petroleum based!) If you man a very good fuel system cleaner use berrymans b-12 its awesome stuff but be careful about apilling it because it can ruin your paint. I cant even count how many carbs i had to clean because people put seafoam in for a fuel stabilizer and it soesnt do ****. Just basically adds oil to your gas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rob1985, interesting to learn your take on sea foam. I have used it for carb cleaning with varying degrees of success but agree that I don't consider it a "stabilizer" per se and don't use it as such.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Im gonna go ahead and add this and maybe most wont agree with me but seafoam is garbage! It is not a fuel stabilizer at all. It dosent clean carba worth a damn. Ita petroleum based and with too much of it in your tank is basically like you were burning oil (because it petroleum based!)
Aren't gasoline, naptha, diesel fuel, and lubricating oil, all petroleum based, just different length carbon chains, separated by fractional distillation?

From what I understand the petroleum distillate in Seafoam is around the naptha range of volatility. There's also appreciable amounts of isopropyl alcohol. https://seafoamworks.com/uploads/2019/01/Sea-Foam-Motor-Treatment-SDS-v20161205-ENG.pdf I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but my theory would be that the distillate is supposed to remain a dense vapor, and condense on surfaces where it acts as a solvent for deposits. I'd think that the isopropyl is there to bond to, and carry water out of the system.

I believe Seafoam worked for me in the "smoke screen" technique, to clean carbon from an exhaust valve that wasn't sealing properly. As a fuel additive, it would be somewhat equivalent to Heet, or any of the isopropyl based, water removers, with the additional benefit of the heavy molecule distillate solvent action.

I'm personally hesitant to dunk into, or flow through, strong solvents with my modern Keihin and Mikuni carburetors. I haven't pulled any of mine apart, but I've read that there may be elastomeric seals inside the body under the Welch plugs, and the butterfly bushings and various bushings on the interconnect linkage, which are not removable, are clearly plastic. The manual for my Shadow says to NOT immerse the carb body in carb cleaning solvent, a shame because an hour in the dunk tank worked flawlessly for me, in cleaning carbs since the late 70s. I bit the bullet and bought an ultrasonic, but I still use solvent on stuff that can handle it, like the jets.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,448 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm a Gunk carb cleaner user, mainly because I bought a gallon of it years ago, soak in an old tin canister with a sealing lid, pour the solvent back into small mouth, tight sealing metal can when I'm done using it, and it's continued to work well for decades.

I used a Pine-Sol solution in the ultrasonic cleaner, but I wasn't happy with the results. It cleaned OK, but it also attacked the aluminum castings and left a black surface deposit. I don't recommend Pine Sol, but I don't know what to use instead.

Pine Sol isn't made with pine oil any more, the active ingredient is glycolic acid. https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/wp...5/Original-Pine-Sol-Multi-Surface-Cleaner.pdf
I think they changed the composition about the same time they started calling it "Pine Sol Original".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts