Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got new gaskets in for the carb bowls. lower boots on, carb back on, upper boots back on. fuel lines and choke cables on. cranked it up, idled okay. gave it a goose on the acceleration, slow in "going back down". used starter fluid on the boots on the right side, no rise in rpm's.

today: remembered that it had been recommended to use carb cleaner instead. did it on upper boots, rise in rpm's. got the boot seated correctly. cranked up bike. almost immediately (maybe 1 second after cranking bike), white smoke started to come out of left hand exhaust (not sure about right side, didn't look) and what looked like muddy "water" started dripping out of my exhaust. turned off bike immediately.

i'm afraid that i've damaged my bike on accident, but can anyone shed light as to what is happening? on cars, doesn't white smoke usually mean water is getting into the engine?

don't know if it will help, but here's the best picture I could get after turning off the bike. again, picture it dripping muddy "water".

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
Probably when using the carb spray it fouled the exhaust for a bit, and caused the white smoke from the chemical being burned. If you live in a humid area water condensation is normal and sooty exhaust pipes may make it look dark.

Check your coolant level. Start up and warm up to see if white smoke and water stops. If they continue keep checking you coolant level, cold and warm, to see if there is a loss.
Coolant when coming out the exhaust smells sweet almost like Pecan Ice Cream.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably when using the carb spray it fouled the exhaust for a bit, and caused the white smoke from the chemical being burned. If you live in a humid area water condensation is normal and sooty exhaust pipes may make it look dark.

Check your coolant level. Start up and warm up to see if white smoke and water stops. If they continue keep checking you coolant level, cold and warm, to see if there is a loss.
Coolant when coming out the exhaust smells sweet almost like Pecan Ice Cream.

(wipes forehead), so this should "go away"? I live in the south..it's almost always humid here.

I love pecan ice cream..but that's a whole new twist on it. I'll do just that. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
If that much water went into the cylinder to get to the exhaust, it would have killed the spark and would have have run only on one cylinder.
Coolant can smell pretty sweet
Exhaust water stinks, and don't breath the fumes from carb spray burning. POISON.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's running on both cylinders as I put my hand behind the exhaust to verify.

the smoke only comes out of one side, the left.

i cranked it back up and this is weird.

at lower rpm's it smokes. at higher rpm's, it goes away.

also....without me touching it, the rpm's are slowly going up and down...

however, I did "goose" it and it does go back down on me.

thoughts?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to clarify, it goes back down after being goosed, but then starts to creep back up. if I goose it when it's high, it's stays that way. and at the low rpms, white smoke comes out, but goes away at the higher rpms.

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one last clarification!

cranked it up just now. no white smoke at any rpm level. goosed is a smidge and it went "right down". let it sit about 30 seconds...stayed the same. gave it a harder goose (like you were going to really accelerate) and it went down, but not all the way. any thought?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

·
Registered
359 Posts
let it warm up.......sit at idle for about 10 to 15 minutes before gassing it. A cold motor may bounce the rpm's. Is it possible the throttle cable is sticking? when you gas it are you letting go? or have you tried twisting back the other way?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i only have a pull cable, not a push. i will crank it up again in a few days and let it sit for 10 minutes or so and see what happens then. it doesn't appear to be sticking...could spraying some wd-40 on the throttle body help?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
Probably won't help just spraying WD40. It won't get into the sticky throttle butterfly if that is the problem.
If you clean off the carbs and linkage with carb cleaner it may help if they are gummy.
Try moving the throttle shafts by hand with the engine off, and then use the throttle grip and see if there is a difference in returning to the stop screws.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Strip the carbs replace the air cutoff valves to prevent further overheating and replace the cylinder head gaskets then fit the correct throttle cables.

John.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strip the carbs replace the air cutoff valves to prevent further overheating and replace the cylinder head gaskets then fit the correct throttle cables.

John.

to ask the question that my 4 yr old likes to ask, why? since this sounds fairly complex, what will doing these things accomplish as it pertains to my situation?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
let it warm up.......sit at idle for about 10 to 15 minutes before gassing it. A cold motor may bounce the rpm's. Is it possible the throttle cable is sticking? when you gas it are you letting go? or have you tried twisting back the other way?

turned it on and let it idle. at about 8-9 minutes in, it revved up pretty high (i have no tach, but at least it sounded high) and stayed that way for a couple of minutes. I turned it off at the 11 minute mark, still high. when I turned it off, I noticed a couple of things:

1) what sounded like a liquid of some kind "whooshing" from one place to another...(radiator fluid?)

2) a popping\crackling sound coming from my exhaust pipes, both sides.

no liquid or smoke is coming out. it seemed to idle just fine for under 8 minutes, then started to rev up and stay that way until I shut it off.

thoughts?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
Did you move the handlebars after 8 min. to pull the throttle cables ??? Weird that the idle increases.
Did the radiator fan ever come on?
Does the temp. gauge read at all? If low on coolant the gauge may not read right because of hot air on the sender, instead of hot coolant.
At higher temps the fan should work but if not that could explain the crackling noise in the exhaust.
And if there is very low coolant it could cause a liquid moving sound from low levels and when the pump stopped it was running back down inside the cooling passages, with air blocks in the pipes, or radiator. Maybe.
Let it cool and check the coolant in the radiator first. Fill it, run it and cool it and recheck the level. Look for leaks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you move the handlebars after 8 min. to pull the throttle cables ??? Weird that the idle increases.
Does the temp. gauge read at all? If low on coolant the gauge may not read right because of hot air on the sender, instead of hot coolant.
At higher temps the fan should work but if not that could explain the crackling noise in the exhaust.
And if there is very low coolant it could cause a liquid moving sound from low levels and when the pump stopped it was running back down inside the cooling passages, with air blocks in the pipes, or radiator. Maybe.
Let it cool and check the coolant in the radiator first. Fill it, run it and cool it and recheck the level. Look for leaks.
i have no temp gauge on my bike. i never saw the radiator fan come on. i am hoping to check the thermostat and fan sensor this weekend.

any idea as to why it would go to a high idle? i didn't touch the handlebars when the idle started to increase.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Exhaust making popping and crackling is the metal cooling down. Nothing to worry about.

With out the engine running when you twist the throttle then release the throttle does it return to idle quickly.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I see, yes. it doesn't "snap" back like when I do it by hand to the body, but it does return quickly.

the rise in rpm's after after starting to warm up, and not going down, is what is worrying me. can that be temp related?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

not to ask a silly question, but where is the temp gauge on the bike? i thought it would be on the handlebars somewhere but it isnt. i know im a newb, but man!

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.