Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day everyone,
My 2000 Shadow Aero 1100 is in need of new tires. No big deal, or so I thought. According to Honda there is only 1 tire option available for that bike in whitewalls, the factory original Dunlops. (sorry don't have the exact sizes with me). Plus it's almost $600.00 installed for the set, does this sound right? Loosing the whitewalls is not an option, love the look on my bike. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

While I am asking questions, the tire wear is uneven, much more wear on the Left side. My way to work is all left hand turns.....but the way home is all rights, so that's not it :) What would cause this? Air pressure is good.

Scott

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: You might be sitting left. Really. Some people sit a bit left or right. Also...could be the amount of air in your tires. I find most people, in my opinion, under inflate their tires. They may have them at the recommended pressure but in my opinion...that's usually low.
Or...maybe your left a$$ cheek is really big when compared to your right a$$ cheek. :-D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Coker Tire sells retro wide whites, also.

Coker Tire - Your Source for Antique Tires and Wheels

Retro rubber would look good on that bike.

As far as tire wear goes - you're making your LH turns at a higher rate of speed than your RH turns. Counter steer occurs around 12-15 MPH, introducing a slip angle (difference between the direction the bars are pointed vs. where you're actually going) which would wear the tires more on the LH side.

If you want to see funky wear patterns on a M/C tire, look at a sidecar outfit next time you're at a rally. Slip angles are constant on sidecars, making the front tire wear awfully funky!

You've one other solution to WWW's - spats. These are slip-on WW's used in the 50's to convert blackwalls to WW's. They're still available; saw some one Ebay a while back. I had them on one of my bikes, and they looked great.

I'm a big WWW fan, glad to see there are others!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Shinko now makes a WWW rear (the Shinko 777) 170/80/15 for about $90; Shinko does not make a front tire in our size (140/80/17). I do not think I would go with the Shinko personally.

I would keep looking for the Dunlop K555 (rear) and the D404 (front) to find the best prices. In the past I have seen the rear for less than $130 and the front for less than $100 (shipped) when they are on sale. I will need to get a set within the next six months, so I will start looking soon too.

Keep us posted. And stay WWW!!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Your whitewalls look so cool. I wonder if I could find a pair to fit my ACE..
Dunlop D404 140/80-17 WWW Front
Dunlop K555 170/80-15 WWW Rear

These are the sizes most commonly used when converting ACE 750 and Aero 750's to WWW's. Had them on my Aero - I was quite happy with them.

To Whitewalls: also check out ronayers.com. The rear Dunlop K555 170/80-15 is $148.52 and the front Dunlop d404 140/80-17 is $120.28.

Hope this info is of use to you both.

·
Registered
525 Posts
$119.99

(sorry don't have the exact sizes with me). Plus it's almost $600.00 installed for the set, does this sound right? Loosing the whitewalls is not an option, love the look on my bike. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
While I am asking questions, the tire wear is uneven, much more wear on the Left side. My way to work is all left hand turns.....but the way home is all rights, so that's not it :) What would cause this? Air pressure is good.
Scott
Scott, that price is way too high. I just pulled my invoice from 7/12/2011. Two months ago I purchased a new front Dunlop WW from the local Honda shop. Here is the billing:
Dunlop K177 120/90-18 WhiteWall.. 119.99
Heavy duty tube... 22.62
Installation .... 36.00
Supplies .. .. 1.80
Sales tax.. .. 12.18
TOTAL . . . . . . . . $192.59
If you do not have spokes you would save the cost of the heavy duty tube, or regular duty was $14. I would still replace the valve stem (supplies). They did a good job of balancing with lead pinch weights and lined up the valve stem with the tire dot. I like the Dunlop white walls since they go all the way to the rim, other brands just have a circular band with less white. Then again, whatever floats your boat.

2nd Q: Left side only wear is common north of the equator. Drive equal miles in Brazil to even out the tread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I found that jakewilson.com has a pretty good price scale. I looked for other types of tires for my 98 Aero 1100 and couldn't find anything but the dunlops. If you find some good WWW please, email me and let me know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put a Metzler 880 on the rear my Aero, had to stay with Dunlop for the front as they were the only one that made the front. It has been a couple of years since they were installed so I am not sure if Metzler still makes the WWW for the rear.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Dunlop D404 140/80-17 WWW Front
Dunlop K555 170/80-15 WWW Rear

These are the sizes most commonly used when converting ACE 750 and Aero 750's to WWW's. Had them on my Aero - I was quite happy with them.

To Whitewalls: also check out ronayers.com. The rear Dunlop K555 170/80-15 is $148.52 and the front Dunlop d404 140/80-17 is $120.28.

Hope this info is of use to you both.
I'm getting a pair for myself. It should be here before Christmas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, big help.

Honda service wants 189.00 and 226.00 for the tires....crazy!!
Ordering them online, having them delivered to the service dept. and then they will install. Saves me 150 bucks!!

I have been following the "road to Rod" thread (haven't we all?), and considered that route of painting a set of blackwalls. If I already had blackwalls, I would have done it. However since I need to spend the money anyway on tires, I decided it would be best to get he ones I really wanted. I am very curious how well the rubber paint holds up....

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
They did a good job of balancing with lead pinch weights and lined up the valve stem with the tire dot.
QUOTE]
sorry to hijack post,but this got my attention,,ive heard this b4,and was wondering if it would make a real slight vibration if not done?..ive taken both 1oz pinch type weights off because it was really noticable,after taken them off its better but still a little vibration.it didnt do that until i had the new tire put on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.