Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! i know this is a bit of a weird question but i want to make my stock system quieter! preferably without taking a performance hit. i live in a retirement area and i really dont want to piss of my neighbors plus in general i've heard when making an exhaust quiter you usually get a nice lower rumble that isnt as loud.

So how would i go about doing this? Should i just buy a quieter exhaust? i dont even know who makes em.... or should ijust find some way of quieting my existing pipes? i found a quieter baffle here: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d...hots_Quiet_Baffle_for_Honda_Shadow_Spirit_750

but i dont know if that would fit in my stock baffles?

any help would be hugely apreciated!

-steve

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Are you sure your exhaust are stock and unaltered - stock exhaust is not much noisier than an angry sewing machine....

You may be able to adapt something from a bike you think is quiet enough, but finding something off the shelf to make stock exhaust quieter is going to be hard to find.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
There are tons of stuff to make bikes louder, but little to none to make them quietier.

Stock pipes should not be much if any louder than a normal car. If the old geezers complain about that, they aren't complaining about the sound at all.

8)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Those baffles are NOT quieter than stock, maybe a little less noise than stratight pipes.

Quote from someone who has them,

"Oh My God ! Fit perfectly on my V&N Straight Shots for my VN800B '02 not even needed to remove the pipes to install just unscrew remove old one and put " QUIET BAFFLE " Much better sound ! but NOT QUIET AT ALL Cops still hate me here in Canada Montreal 150$ each time i get caught :( But really worth to install a must"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rick... thats from a guy that has the V&N pipes. your missing my question entirely.

i have a stock exhaust i want to make it quieter. does anyone know how? additionally i found these baffles on a site and i want to know if they might fit my stock pipes? if they do they would make the stock pipes a little more quieter.

someone that bought V&N's to make em really loud obviously isnt going to get a quite exhaust by putting on the baffles, but its probably quieter then without them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure why you would ever want to make a stock exaust quieter, but to each his own.

What about putting a small metal screen at the end of the pipe. Just tack weld it in. Not sure if that would do the trick, but it might depending on the size of the openings.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Don't know what you are riding but if you have a totally stock exhaust there just isn't anything I'm aware of to make them quiter, I know my Sabre has stock exhaust and it is not loud at all but with over 30,000 miles they are sounding just a little louder but far from being noisy.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
chezouff said:
rick... thats from a guy that has the V&N pipes. your missing my question entirely.

i have a stock exhaust i want to make it quieter. does anyone know how? additionally i found these baffles on a site and i want to know if they might fit my stock pipes? if they do they would make the stock pipes a little more quieter.

someone that bought V&N's to make em really loud obviously isnt going to get a quite exhaust by putting on the baffles, but its probably quieter then without them.
Thats what I was saying, these baffles would be WAY louder than your stock ones. Would have the reverse effect your looking for to replace stock with these.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh sorry, didnt mean to be condescending (yes i did but it blew back at me...) i didnt understand what you meant. so those quiet baffles would be louder then my stock ones? by the look of the baffles... (and i have no idea what a normal baffle looks like) it looks like a silencer on a gun almost i figured it had sound dampening stuff inside.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
chezouff said:
oh sorry, didnt mean to be condescending (yes i did but it blew back at me...) i didnt understand what you meant. so those quiet baffles would be louder then my stock ones? by the look of the baffles... (and i have no idea what a normal baffle looks like) it looks like a silencer on a gun almost i figured it had sound dampening stuff inside.
IF you have stock/untampered exhaust there is no way to remove the baffle without a 2-1/8" hole saw. There are actually a series of chambers in the stock exhaust, quite complicated series of smaller pipes attaching the chambers to allow exhaust to flow and keep the bike quiet. Anything that straightens out the flow of exhaust will increast the volume - those baffles you linked to would make a very raspy noisey exhaust into a less raspy noisey exhaust.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats exactly what i wanted to know, it sucks i cant use em but that answers my question. So if i do want quieter i should be looking for silencer pipes? Im sorry i dont know much about bikes yet would i have to look for something specifically designed for the spirit?

also im still learning but when you get a different exhaust they say to re-jet teh carbs (i honestly dont fully understand what that means) that does what? allow more air out? so if i got a quieter exhaust would i have to re-jet em... or would a quiet exhaust just aim for stock specs so i wouldnt have to re-jet?

i just bought a service manual for the bike, it covers damn near everything. i have so much to learn but im not really friends with any bikers so im learning all on my own.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
chezouff said:
thats exactly what i wanted to know, it sucks i cant use em but that answers my question. So if i do want quieter i should be looking for silencer pipes? Im sorry i dont know much about bikes yet would i have to look for something specifically designed for the spirit?

also im still learning but when you get a different exhaust they say to re-jet teh carbs (i honestly dont fully understand what that means) that does what? allow more air out? so if i got a quieter exhaust would i have to re-jet em... or would a quiet exhaust just aim for stock specs so i wouldnt have to re-jet?

i just bought a service manual for the bike, it covers damn near everything. i have so much to learn but im not really friends with any bikers so im learning all on my own.
All good questions - I have some of my own.

Did you buy this bike new?

If not a new bike, can you take some digital pictures of the exhaust (side and from the back up the pipes) and post them so we can have a look at what you have. My thinking is they could be drilled or tampered with or not even stock.

My 1100 with stock exhaust isn't any louder than my craftsman 5hp push mower and it's a heck of lot quieter than my neighbors riding mower that seems to run every daylight hour of the weekend and 3 evenings a week, over about 1/2acre of grass. :wink:

I think that is why everyone is having a hard time understanding how anyone could complain about the noise of a stock shadow exhaust, a Mustang 5 litre GT makes more noise.

As far as jetting - think of a motor as a big pump that sucks in air and fuel and spits out power and exhaust.
The easy way to think of it is that the goes-in needs to equal the goes-out, if you restrict either side of the pump the amount of fuel that can be drawn through the fuel jets changes, the more air you allow to go through the bigger the jets have to be to allow a balance in the air/fuel ratio. The less air that get drawn through the smaller the jets need to be to account for the same ratio. You can restrict or enhance the flow of air by closing off the air intake, or exhaust.

The good news is that a stock bike starts out running lean, so restricting the exhaust a little more will most likely do nothing but make it run a little richer......just a little bit richer from almost too lean is a good thing.

It's when you open up the exhaust with free flowing pipes bigger header pipes that when the jetting really goes south....and leans out to the point of causing damage over time and not running well at all.

Hope this helps explain some things.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the advice... nice speedbag.... getting jacked in your garage?

aaaanyways the bike is all stock except for some stupid tweaking done to the carbs by the original owner which im in the process of having fixed. I dont know what they did but the air intake kept spitting air back out occasionally and the carbs would make this weird ticking sound at about half throttle... the dealer (only reputable place i know of around me... im a newb) said their were a bunch of broken peices inside the carb.

theirs a pair of highway bars and a chromed radiator cover. the bike is an 05 spirit vt750dc w/ 2400 miles on it i paid roughly $3k for. its black w/ the red flames the tank had a few scratches on it but besides that it looked great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.